The Student Room Group

Manchester vs. Leeds for Mechanical Engineering

I'm stuck between these two unis when choosing my firm choice. The grades for leeds are a*aa and manchester is aaa. But I want to hopefully ask current/past students what they thought of each uni and how was their experience? Which Uni is better academically and which has better links with industry etc? Which is better for teaching? help! 😫
no replies yet.. anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by floralandfading
I'm stuck between these two unis when choosing my firm choice. The grades for leeds are a*aa and manchester is aaa. But I want to hopefully ask current/past students what they thought of each uni and how was their experience? Which Uni is better academically and which has better links with industry etc? Which is better for teaching? help! 😫

They are both good. Have you visited them?
Original post by Doonesbury
They are both good. Have you visited them?

visited manchester but not leeds as the visit day was the same day as my driving test unfortunately
Reply 4
visited manchester but not leeds as the visit day was the same day as my driving test unfortunately

You can visit anytime. e.g. they have frequent campus tours if you can't attend an Open Day
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/116000/undergraduate/42/open_days_and_visits
You can visit anytime. e.g. they have frequent campus tours if you can't attend an Open Day
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/116000/undergraduate/42/open_days_and_visits

alright thanks. Do you know if one of these particular unis is targeted more by employers/has better employability (Specifically for engineering) ? I'm thinking of choosing manchester but I'm worried that I'm missing out due to Leeds being better in terms of league tables/higher entry requirements etc. Thanks!
Reply 6
alright thanks. Do you know if one of these particular unis is targeted more by employers/has better employability (Specifically for engineering) ? I'm thinking of choosing manchester but I'm worried that I'm missing out due to Leeds being better in terms of league tables/higher entry requirements etc. Thanks!

Engineering firms don't "target" universities like IB firms. All universities have careers fairs, and you can see which engineering firms have attended. But there's nothing to stop you seeking out placements, grad schemes or full-time roles anywhere.

Both Leeds and Manchester have good industry links. And Careers Services.
(edited 5 years ago)
Engineering firms don't "target" universities like IB firms. All universities have careers fairs, and you can see which engineering firms have attended. But there nothing to stop you seeking our placements, grad schemes or full-time roles anywhere.

so essentially I wouldnt be any better of choosing Leeds over Manchester? (sorry for all these questions)
Reply 8
so essentially I wouldnt be any better of choosing Leeds over Manchester? (sorry for all these questions)

That's why I said you should visit.

Quick Reply

Latest