Turn on thread page Beta

Abortion should be banned. Poll! watch

• View Poll Results: Should abortion be banned?
    Yes, in all cases
    3.40%
    Yes, except in cases of rape and danger to health
    13.35%
    Yes, except in cases of rape, danger to health and socio-economic conditions
    10.99%
    No, keep the status quo
    72.25%

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this site, but it's an issue very important to me. I feel that abortion is unjust except in cases of rape or medical health. Wondering how others feel about this, so I made a poll. Please keep this as a sensible and polite debate!

ReputationRep:
    I agree that abortion should only be in exceptional circumstances. But how can it be banned if some really need it e.g. if they were raped. Bringing a child to the world might cause more suffering and abortion may be the lesser of more evils in this case. So I don't think it should be banned, but should only be used as a last resort.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Abortions will always happen, making them illegal will just make them unsafe. Tbh having a kid and giving it up to the foster care system isn’t giving it a chance, the likelihood of adoption is small- as someone in the system, it isn’t a nice life at all, trust me. For that reason I’ll always be pro-choice. But each to their own.

We are over populated and not having abortions will only add to the problem. Sounds harsh but growing up in an orphanage isn’t really a good life.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it should be banned but allowed in certain situations. The life or death of another human shouldn't be decided on the mother's convenience.

ReputationRep:
    Womens' right to have control of her own body take priority over a bundle of cells.

If you value basic individual freedoms then you are pro-choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yakib)
    I think that it should be banned but allowed in certain situations. The life or death of another human shouldn't be decided on the mother's convenience.
    Begging the question.

(Original post by trippieblue)
    Womens' right to have control of her own body take priority over a bundle of cells.
    Also begging the question.

Hard, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)

Also begging the question.

Hard, isn't it?
    Being blunt doesn't give you a point. Either elaborate or piss off.

ReputationRep:

That 'bundle of cells' is a baby. Look at abortions on google images - they are babies!!! Some women have said they saw it moving after and then felt so guilty

ReputationRep:
    Polite debating please!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hymenaios)
    That 'bundle of cells' is a baby. Look at abortions on google images - they are babies!!! Some women have said they saw it moving after and then felt so guilty
    That’s still question begging.

What is “a baby”?

ReputationRep:
    So you would have rather not been born? At least you have a chance at life, those aborted babies sure don't...

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Abortions will always happen, making them illegal will just make them unsafe. Tbh having a kid and giving it up to the foster care system isn’t giving it a chance, the likelihood of adoption is small- as someone in the system, it isn’t a nice life at all, trust me. For that reason I’ll always be pro-choice. But each to their own.

ReputationRep:

A bundle of cells that will eventually become human life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad we concur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    That’s still question begging.

What is “a baby”?
    Does that really need a definition? A baby is a young child. In other words, a human life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I'm glad we concur.
    And im glad you've admitted that your reply was nothing more than edgy rep whoring.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Yakib)
    A bundle of cells that will eventually become human life.
    Potentiality arguments aren’t persuasive. They rely too much on “what if”.

You have no way of non-arbitrarily delineating the point at which “potential” becomes a morally relevant or salient consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Nope they're bundle of cells. They can't survive outside of their mother's womb, they're just cells that are growing.

ReputationRep:
    Does that really need a definition? A baby is a young child. In other words, a human life
    It does need a definition.

Is it a baby at the moment of conception? If not, when does it start being one?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, it does. Because you asserted, without argument, that a bundle of cells was a baby.

And now, you have wildly different and conflicting definitions. Is a baby a “young child” or “a human life.”?

The former doesn’t capture unborn fetuses and the latter is too broad because an 80 year old Granada would be “a baby” on that definition.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.