Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (34)
72.34%
On the contrary, No (1)
2.13%
Abstain (12)
25.53%
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1354 - Terrorism Act (Amendment) Bill 2018, TSR Government

Terrorism Act (Amendment) Bill 2018

A bill to implement recommendations of the Anderson review (2015) on the operation of the Terrorism Act 2000 and Part 1 of the Terrorism Act 2006

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's [King's] most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows: -

1. Amendments to the Terrorism Act 2000
(1) The Terrorism Act 2000 is amended as follows.
(2) In section 1(1)(b) (Terrorism: interpretation), for the phrase “the use or threat is designed to influence the government” to be replaced by “designed to compel, coerce or undermine the government or an international organisation”;
(3) After Schedule 8 (Detention), paragraph 32 (Grounds for extension), that the following clauses are inserted:
(a) “the person to whom the application relates was lawfully arrested”;
(b) “the person was told with sufficient clarity the offences he was suspected of committing and the reasons for the suspicions leading to his arrest”;
(c) “there is a real prospect of evidence emerging during the period for which further detention is sought”;
(d) “the continued detention is proportionate in all the circumstances”.
(4) After subsection 5 of section 41 (Arrest without warrant), that the following is inserted:
(a) “Where a person is arrested under this section, police can grant bail where it is safe to do so”
(5) After Schedule 7 (Port and Border Controls), paragraph 18 (Offences), that the following paragraph is inserted:
(a) “There will be a statutory bar to the introduction of Schedule 7 admissions in a subsequent criminal trial”

2. Repeals
(1) In section 1 (Terrorism: interpretation), that subsection 3 is repealed.

7. Extent, Commencement and Short Title
(1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) This Act may be cited as the Terrorism Act (Amendment) Act 2018.
(3) The Act will come into force on 31st March 2018.

Notes
This bill puts into action recommendations made by David Anderson QC, a previous Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation. In his report, he discusses terrorism legislation at great length noting flaws whilst further informing the public and ourselves on anti-terrorism in our country. A noteworthy element of this document is narrowing the definition of terrorism itself and therefore lessening its broadness.

Terrorism Act 2000
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's an aye from me.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Imgur are undermining the Government by making a piece of their legislation no longer available. The terrorists.
username280380
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Edit: Just become able to vote
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye from me too
username257785
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, sensible government bill.
Dafios9128
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
Mountains8721
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
DayneD89
Rep:
?
The Ayes have it, The ayes have it!

Unlock!
DayneD89
Rep:
?
The ayes have it, the ayes have it!

unlock
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (726)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads