Turn on thread page Beta

why are you allowed to criticise some ideologies but not others? watch

ReputationRep:
    In work this Muslim criticised me for being vegan and said 'all vegans are weirdos'. This got me thinking that if I criticised him for being a Muslim and said something like 'All Muslims are weirdos' he'd probably run crying to the boss and I'd get branded a racist and fired.

Si this leads to the question why is it ok to criticise one ideology but not the other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rgjer)
    In work this Muslim criticised me for being vegan and said 'all vegans are weirdos'. This got me thinking that if I criticised him for being a Muslim and said something like 'All Muslims are weirdos' he'd probably run crying to the boss and I'd get branded a racist and fired.

Si this leads to the question why is it ok to criticise one ideology but not the other?
    If you're going to make up a fake scenario to talk sh*t on muslims, pls at least use the correct words. Veganism is not an ideology. And its debatable whether Islam is an ideology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trippieblue)
    If you're going to make up a fake scenario to talk sh*t on muslims, pls at least use the correct words. Veganism is not an ideology. And its debatable whether Islam is an ideology.
    Its not false. Also veganism and islam are definitely ideologies. Go look up the definition of ideology and get back to me.

ReputationRep:
    Go have a bath with a toaster you uneducated bigoted troll.
    Whats wrong? Can't handle some facts you little creep?

ReputationRep:
    It's not 'debatable' whether Islam is an ideology - it is widely accepted as one, just like all religions, as they are a system of ideas. Not sure about veganism though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    ideology - a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.

How on earth is veganism and islam either of those things c*nt?
    Veganism and islam are exactly those things you C U N T.

ReputationRep:
    veganism is not an ideology lool. the stupidest thing I have ever heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noey123)
    veganism is not an ideology lool. the stupidest thing I have ever heard
    Yes it is. How is it not?

ReputationRep:
    ideology - a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.

How on earth is veganism and islam either of those things c*nt?
    It says 'especially', not 'and': it is not a requirement to have a political/economic basis, but it simply fits the definition more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rgjer)
    Yes it is. How is it not?
    Its probably not because it's simply abstaining from using animals products, it's not a entire set of ideas - there can only be reasons for being vegan - those are ideas, but they are independent from the action of refusing to use animals-derived materials and foods, the action makes you vegan.

ReputationRep:
    must be a Muslim - ignore this troll

ReputationRep:
    Lmao people are seriously getting triggered. Veganism is an ideology - because it is a set of beliefs that are practised with an ideal in mind. So is Islam and all other religions. Dunno why people are getting so worked up and defensive about this.

To answer your question - I honestly don't think there is a reason other than cultural norms and what we accept as a society. It kinda sucks. If you're interested in changing things I would suggest studying philosophy, psychology, sociology, history and law so you can get a deeper understanding of how stupid people really are lmao. If you want to challenge people's beliefs it might be useful to know as much as possible. By study I also mean just read books and scour the internet (perhaps the same technique one uses to learn about veganism?).

Also @ the first comment, OP literally didn't say anything against muslims. He just said "what if I said this same thing that a Muslim person said to me?". No one is sh*t talking anyone. Your comment makes you look insecure and stupid - I presume that's not the vibe you're going for? It's not all that fetching.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Muslim and if you said that I'd simply debate your question but you really would have nothing to back it up on. I most likely would take it was casual banter. I have a friend whos a vegan she's pretty weird like most girls in my opinion . But veganism in general I don't think it's weird because it's your choice and I understand the beliefs which people hold with animals. Considered trying to be vegan (plenty of benefits but meat also provides great benefits).

ReputationRep:
    Liberals protect Muslims so excessively that Muslims claim criticism of an idea (Islam) is racism and the apparent racist is shunned and unjustly dubbed a racist for criticising an idea. It's a terrible double standard that has been around for a while now.

ReputationRep:
    Islam is an ideology, it is also more than that.

However Islam as an ideology is not protected, it is protected as a religion/belief system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawaret)
    must be a Muslim - ignore this troll
    Well im not so what now mr first post?

ReputationRep:
    Muslim oppression
    - the crusades were intended specifically to take the "Holy Land" back from the Muslims
    A Muslim man, Kamal Raza Butt, was beaten to death outside a corner shop in by a gang of youths who shouted anti-Islamic abuse at him and called him "Taliban."
    A vehicle was driven into a store owned by a Muslim man named Ashfaq Ahmed. The driver attempted to set fire to the vehicle and threw a gas canister into the shop. The massive blast destroyed the store.
    The Finsbury Park Attack when a man drove into a crowd of Muslim worshippers leaving a mosque after prayer. The incident was deemed terrorism and, while the motive is still under investigation, several civil rights groups and politicians claim the perpetrator was motivated by Islamophobia
    A mosque in Bradford was damaged in an arson attack, and a mosque was filled with flammable gas in attempt to light it on fire. The police classified it as a "deliberate racist attack" and 2 ex-soldiers firebombed a mosque.
    Balbir Singh Sodhi, who wore a beard and a turban in accordance with his Sikh faith, was mistaken for an Arab Muslim. The shooter had reportedly told friends that he was "going to go out and shoot some towel-heads" the day of the attacks.
    A man gunned down Iraqi artist Hassan Alawsi in the parking lot of a Home Depot. Police suspect the shooter was motivated by "his dislike of people of Middle Eastern descent."
    A Lebanese-American man was shot and killed on his porch in by an neighbor who regularly called him a "dirty muslim" and "Arab" despite him being Christian.
    A man set a mosque on fire in fear of another "Manhattan World Trade Center attack or Boston Bombing."
    Two mosques were damaged with graffiti swastikas and xenophobic slurs.
    Hate crimes against people of Middle-Eastern descent in the country increased from 354 attacks in 2000 to 1,501 attacks in 2001, post 9/11
    On 25 August 2010, a New York taxi driver was stabbed after a passenger asked if he was Muslim.
    The ACLU keeps track of Nationwide Anti-Mosque Activity where they have noted at least 50 anti-mosque incidents in the previous 5 years.

Vegan oppression
    - jokes on social media about how vegans never shut up about being vegan

But by all means, tell me why it should be as okay to mock the Muslim faith as it is to mock vegans. I'll wait.

(and BTW I'm a white Christian vegan, so don't even begin to cry bias.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rgjer)

Vegan isn't a Religion, hence saying it about him being a Muslim isn't logical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKBH)
    Muslim oppression
    - the crusades were intended specifically to take the "Holy Land" back from the Muslims
    A Muslim man, Kamal Raza Butt, was beaten to death outside a corner shop in by a gang of youths who shouted anti-Islamic abuse at him and called him "Taliban."
    A vehicle was driven into a store owned by a Muslim man named Ashfaq Ahmed. The driver attempted to set fire to the vehicle and threw a gas canister into the shop. The massive blast destroyed the store.
    The Finsbury Park Attack when a man drove into a crowd of Muslim worshippers leaving a mosque after prayer. The incident was deemed terrorism and, while the motive is still under investigation, several civil rights groups and politicians claim the perpetrator was motivated by Islamophobia
    A mosque in Bradford was damaged in an arson attack, and a mosque was filled with flammable gas in attempt to light it on fire. The police classified it as a "deliberate racist attack" and 2 ex-soldiers firebombed a mosque.
    Balbir Singh Sodhi, who wore a beard and a turban in accordance with his Sikh faith, was mistaken for an Arab Muslim. The shooter had reportedly told friends that he was "going to go out and shoot some towel-heads" the day of the attacks.
    A man gunned down Iraqi artist Hassan Alawsi in the parking lot of a Home Depot. Police suspect the shooter was motivated by "his dislike of people of Middle Eastern descent."
    A Lebanese-American man was shot and killed on his porch in by an neighbor who regularly called him a "dirty muslim" and "Arab" despite him being Christian.
    A man set a mosque on fire in fear of another "Manhattan World Trade Center attack or Boston Bombing."
    Hate crimes against people of Middle-Eastern descent in the country increased from 354 attacks in 2000 to 1,501 attacks in 2001, post 9/11
    On 25 August 2010, a New York taxi driver was stabbed after a passenger asked if he was Muslim.
    The ACLU keeps track of Nationwide Anti-Mosque Activity where they have noted at least 50 anti-mosque incidents in the previous 5 years.

Vegan oppression

But by all means, tell me why it should be as okay to mock the Muslim faith as it is to mock vegans. I'll wait.

We should determine how to treat ideologies based on what's happened to their adherents?

I mean Nazis weren't treated particularly well after the 40s, so I suppose mocking them is off limit to you too?

Both are undeniably ideologies. There is nothing debatable here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKBH)
    Muslim oppression

Vegan oppression

So because certain people attack some Muslims, we all can't criticize a set of ideas (Islam) non-violently, however ridiculous some of its contents may be? Cool! No wait, that's a terrible line of what hardly resembles logic.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.