Gingeroot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have two offers in London, one which is close to everything, the other being in an area I’m not sure I want to live. There are so many good places to live I’m curious how many of you chose to live walking distance, or how far you commute each day.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gingeroot)
I have two offers in London, one which is close to everything, the other being in an area I’m not sure I want to live. There are so many good places to live I’m curious how many of you chose to live walking distance, or how far you commute each day.
I would only use commuting as one factor for London and would be more interested in the uni. Its convenient to live 10 mins away, but with the tube then 40 mins is ok 30 mins fine and 20 mins easy. With property being so expensive then many people commute in. You might not be in everyday as well.

I thought you were coming from the US, so they normally offer at least one year uni accommodation? If so no harm in being close for a year.
I would consider the other factors and do my research though.
Gingeroot
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I would only use commuting as one factor for London and would be more interested in the uni. Its convenient to live 10 mins away, but with the tube then 40 mins is ok 30 mins fine and 20 mins easy. With property being so expensive then many people commute in. You might not be in everyday as well.

I thought you were coming from the US, so they normally offer at least one year uni accommodation? If so no harm in being close for a year.
I would consider the other factors and do my research though.
I'm not sure the first year for international students is free, I thought they just save you a room in case you want to rent. Is that actually the case?
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure the first year for international students is free, I thought they just save you a room in case you want to rent. Is that actually the case?
I have no idea where you are going as each uni has its own accommodation.
It most definitely will not be free. You may get priority in terms of allocation.of uni owned property, which puts you with most of the other freshers.
London is just about the most expensive place in the UK for accommodation.
You need to do more research.
Gingeroot
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I have no idea where you are going as each uni has its own accommodation.
It most definitely will not be free. You may get priority in terms of allocation.of uni owned property, which puts you with most of the other freshers.
London is just about the most expensive place in the UK for accommodation.
You need to do more research.
I have done my research, which is why you sound wrong.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
I have done my research, which is why you sound wrong.
Which bit am I wrong about?

1. Does each uni have its own accommodation? yes? London uni also has some shared. London unis dont usually have enough to house all freshers.
2. Student accommodation is not free. its the most expensive thing to pay after fees.
3. International students tend to get priority in allocation.
4. London is about the most expensive place in the UK for accommodation for obvious reasons.
5. You do need to do more research so you can figure out whats important for you in terms of price, journey willing to take and whether you want to be with freshers or on your own.

As you give no clues as to where in London or which uni then its impossible to say. You know best though and will leave you to it.
grefox
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not having to commute is a big bonus.

Where I am, everybody (except students who still live with mum and dad) live on campus or very close to campus.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I live just a fifteen walk away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (162)
14.49%
I'm not sure (51)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.52%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (542)
48.48%

Watched Threads