Yme2day
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
IGNORE IMAGE ATTACHED

2CH3OH(l) + 3O2(g) --> 2CO2(g) + 4H2O(l)
I think entropy increases, but I'm wrong according to the markscheme, heres my logic and how i went about answering the question(does entropy inrease or decrease), perhaps you can find wheer I'm going wrong:

>So there are 2 moles of liquid on the LHS and 4 moles of liquid of the RHS. This means looking at this alone entorpy seems to increase, since there are more molecules of liquid and therefore disorder/random movement.

>Looking at the rest of the equation I can see that there are 3 moles of gas on the LHS but only 2 moles of gason the RHS. So looking at this part of the equation entropy has decreased.

>So now i look at it collectively and see that moles of liquid has increased from 2 --> 4 and moles of gas has decreased from 3 --> 2. In my mind the increase in moles of liquid outweighs that of the decrease in gaseous moles.

>Why am I wrong? What is the systematic method of tacking this question?

Any help will be appreciated

IGNORE IMAGE ATTACHED
Attached files
lewisli_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
gases have more disorder than liquids and so they will have a much greater influence on the entropy of the system than liquids have
just by the number of moles decreasing by 1, that would outweigh any increase in entropy of the liquids
Yme2day
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by lewisli_)
gases have more disorder than liquids and so they will have a much greater influence on the entropy of the system than liquids have
just by the number of moles decreasing by 1, that would outweigh any increase in entropy of the liquids
In that case how much decrease in moles of liquids would equate the decrease in entorpy caused by decreasing gasses by 1 mole in a system?
lewisli_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i wouldn’t be able to say as it depends for each equation but that’s the reason why this is a decrease in entropy
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yme2day)
In that case how much decrease in moles of liquids would equate the decrease in entorpy caused by decreasing gasses by 1 mole in a system?
Just look up a few molar entropy values.

Water 70 JK-1 mol-1
Oxygen 205 JK-1 mol-1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.17%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.77%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (42)
17.72%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.35%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (46)
19.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise