The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway Accommodation Guide 2018 - Q&A

Hi everyone!

If you have any questions about accommodation, please feel free to ask them down below!

We’ve been getting a few questions already, so I’ve made a short FAQ to help you get started.

When can I apply for accommodation?*

Spoiler

Where can I apply for accommodation?

Spoiler

How are rooms allocated?

Spoiler

Where can I find a list of all accommodation options?

Spoiler

Susana :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to apply just for Gowar and Wedderburn ? If not can you show preferance for the two ? or is it just down to luck in Band A ? Many thanks, Ben
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, I'm thinking about putting Founders shared accommodation high up in my preferences, and was wondering if you know whether people are paired randomly or if there is some kind of system where a survey is sent out and people are matched based on their interests, bedtimes etc.? Thanks
Original post by ben.hooper
Hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to apply just for Gowar and Wedderburn ? If not can you show preferance for the two ? or is it just down to luck in Band A ? Many thanks, Ben

Hi ben.hooper,

Our accommodation options are separated by bands because a number of our halls of residence provide the same facilities, so it may be that you are allocated a room in Gowar, Wedderburn, Williamson, Tuke or Butler.

I hope this helps!

Original post by Sint
Hi, I'm thinking about putting Founders shared accommodation high up in my preferences, and was wondering if you know whether people are paired randomly or if there is some kind of system where a survey is sent out and people are matched based on their interests, bedtimes etc.? Thanks

Hi Sint,

If you are allocated a shared room in Founder's, you will be randomly allocated a roommate. Everyone is so friendly and you'll have plenty of opportunities to get to know them better especially during Welcome Week.

Hi, I’ve been allocated a single in Founders for 30 weeks, and it says they allocate rooms from the 22nd September, does this mean we can’t live on campus for Welcome Week?
Reply 6
Hi all,
I’ve accepted my accommodation offer for Runnymede 1 and look forward to meeting everyone. I’m going to be studying History and English! Send me a message if you’re going to be in the same accommodation or course as me. 😊
Original post by DeannaChloe
Hi, I’ve been allocated a single in Founders for 30 weeks, and it says they allocate rooms from the 22nd September, does this mean we can’t live on campus for Welcome Week?

Hi DeannaChloe,

Term starts on 24 September and this is also the beginning of Welcome Week, so there is no need to worry! Most new students will move in over the weekend of 22 September so that they can get settled in before the week begins.

Holly :smile:
Original post by sp4ngel
Hi all,
I’ve accepted my accommodation offer for Runnymede 1 and look forward to meeting everyone. I’m going to be studying History and English! Send me a message if you’re going to be in the same accommodation or course as me. 😊

Hey I've just accepted my accommodation for Runnymede 1 and I'm doing history politics and ir!
Original post by sp4ngel
Hi all,

Yeah I’m studying History and English, with accommodation in Runnymede 1 too!
Reply 10
Original post by iamaphrodite
Hey I've just accepted my accommodation for Runnymede 1 and I'm doing history politics and ir!

☺️☺️ see you in Sept
Reply 11
Original post by meandegreen
yeah i’m studying history and english, with accommodation in runnymede 1 too!

yessssss!!! ☺️😂
Are there any interior photos of the postgrad accomodation options (Penrose, Highfield and George Eliot)? Looking for Sep/Oct 2018. What is your view on the differences? How much floor space is there in the bedrooms and what common areas? Official information on RHUL site is rather bland and doesn't give much of a flavour of the different options. Is one hall quieter than the others? Will all be post grad only, or will there be a mix with undergrads?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ChocChip96
Are there any interior photos of the postgrad accomodation options (Penrose, Highfield and George Eliot)? Looking for Sep/Oct 2018. What is your view on the differences? How much floor space is there in the bedrooms and what common areas? Official information on RHUL site is rather bland and doesn't give much of a flavour of the different options. Is one hall quieter than the others? Will all be post grad only, or will there be a mix with undergrads?

Hi ChocChip96,

You can find some additional pictures of our accommodation, including the rooms and common areas, in our accommodation portal here. If you haven't registered for an account, you can still preview the accommodation available to you using the preview button.

Highfield and Penrose are postgraduate only and George Eliot has some postgraduate only townhouses so you wouldn't be sharing with undergraduates.

I can't give a definitive answer on the noise level of each accommodation as this varies each year with the students who live in each hall. We do have Resident Assistants who can help you if you find the noise levels disruptive and our campus security is 24/7 as well.

I hope this helps!

Hi,
Quick question ☺️

I’ve accepted my accommodation offer for a post grad room in George Eliot. Can you please tell me if housemates are allocated completely randomly or not? I ended up in halls in the past where every other student spoke Chinese. They were lovely but it made it difficult to communicate.
Also, is there any scope for asking for a top floor room?

Original post by janeyjaney
Hi,
Quick question ☺️

I’ve accepted my accommodation offer for a post grad room in George Eliot. Can you please tell me if housemates are allocated completely randomly or not? I ended up in halls in the past where every other student spoke Chinese. They were lovely but it made it difficult to communicate.
Also, is there any scope for asking for a top floor room?

Hi janeyjaney,

Our halls are allocated completely randomly so you aren't able to choose the exact location of your room or your flatmates. If you aren't happy with your room, you can request a room change after you've moved in but a different room isn't guaranteed.

I hope this helps!

Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi janeyjaney,

Our halls are allocated completely randomly so you aren't able to choose the exact location of your room or your flatmates. If you aren't happy with your room, you can request a room change after you've moved in but a different room isn't guaranteed.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds ok. Hopefully the flats will be a good mix of students.
Hi. Do you know when we will hear what number room we will be in?
Hi, I'm a second-year student moving into Founders in September (exciting times!!). This may be a slightly odd question - but do you happen to know if continuing students are generally grouped together in a corridor, or if I'll be with a mix of continuing students & new students? I don't mind either way at all, just curious! Thanks :smile:
Original post by quickstep
Hi, I'm a second-year student moving into Founders in September (exciting times!!). This may be a slightly odd question - but do you happen to know if continuing students are generally grouped together in a corridor, or if I'll be with a mix of continuing students & new students? I don't mind either way at all, just curious! Thanks :smile:

Hi quickstep,

Our halls are allocated randomly so it'll most likely be a bit of a mix!

Quick Reply

Latest