pollyannaaxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there,
I am currently studying Primary teaching and am on the first year of the course. However, I am swapping to do English for the upcoming year. The Head of English at my university is fine with me starting in the second year, but I am not sure what to expect? I have done English language and English Literature at A-level, but I'm not sure whether not doing the first year at degree level will be a mistake? How hard is the degree and what are the essays like in terms of style that is different to A level? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
pollyannaaxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
bump
username3456172
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would imagine that if they are allowing you to change, they are not expecting you to have any issues.

Literature tends to not get harder past A-level, the content just gets more dense and technical - you cover a similar volume of A-level content in a few months. The essays will be more detailed.

Once again, if they are allowing you to do it they must not see any issue.
Herts PG Student Repsdafaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pollyannaaxx)
Hi there,
I am currently studying Primary teaching and am on the first year of the course. However, I am swapping to do English for the upcoming year. The Head of English at my university is fine with me starting in the second year, but I am not sure what to expect? I have done English language and English Literature at A-level, but I'm not sure whether not doing the first year at degree level will be a mistake? How hard is the degree and what are the essays like in terms of style that is different to A level? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Hi pollyannaaxx

The main difference between my first and second year of studying English Literature was the fact that I could choose my modules! In terms of work load, I did have more essays and the word counts did increase but I was always given the essay questions months in advance so don't worry too much. Once you start the course I would suggest meeting your module leaders so you can explain that you have skipped the first year so they can assist you in any way you need, or provide you with extra resources.

Hope this helps!
Habiba
BridgeHouseGlasgow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Habiba Chowdhury)
Hi pollyannaaxx

The main difference between my first and second year of studying English Literature was the fact that I could choose my modules! In terms of work load, I did have more essays and the word counts did increase but I was always given the essay questions months in advance so don't worry too much. Once you start the course I would suggest meeting your module leaders so you can explain that you have skipped the first year so they can assist you in any way you need, or provide you with extra resources.

Hope this helps!
Habiba
Hey OP,

I would agree with Habiba above! The other thing I would add is that the pace of the reading that will be expected of you will be much higher than at secondary school. You may need to read a novel and other shorter texts a week. Obviously in secondary school it's more common you are studying a whole text for a term or a year. So I would practice trying to up your reading speed whilst still ensuring you are really making sense of the text. Find a note taking method that suits you e.g. putting post it notes in key pages or making notes on the book itself. This should serve you well going into second year.

Another idea might be to familiarise yourself with some of the general trends in English Literature by buying a Norton anthology of literature and perhaps one of Literary criticism too and having a bit of a read of that to give yourself some solid background knowledge.

I hope that helps!

Lilith
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads