The Student Room Group

From dental nurse to hygienist

Hello,I'm just doing some research for a friend of mine. I wonder if there's any way to go from dental nurse without doing a college? Are there any courses you can do to top up? Can someone provide some information of what paths can someone take to change careers?Is IELTS necessary if your English is not the first language?Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LucianNegru
Hello,I'm just doing some research for a friend of mine. I wonder if there's any way to go from dental nurse without doing a college? Are there any courses you can do to top up? Can someone provide some information of what paths can someone take to change careers?Is IELTS necessary if your English is not the first language?Thank you

First off your friend should make their own account and do some research. If they're a qualified dental nurse they may have covered a lot of what is in the hygienist course. Maybe email unis and ask? This is what the traditional pathways is. If they come from a non-English speaking background they will need to prove their language abilities.
Original post by LucianNegru

There is no way to become a dental hygienist or therapist in the UK without going to university. Being a dental nurse alone doesn’t usually meet the entry requirements and additional qualifications such as A Levels or an advanced dental nursing qualification are often needed. It is best to look at individual dental hygiene courses to see the entry requirements. I would think it’s likely an English language qualification will be required for university as even native speakers usually need GCSE English.

Quick Reply

Latest