The road to Grade 8/9s (GCSE) Watch

brarje
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So, I've finally decided to start one of these threads in order to motivate myself (& others) throughout the last 5 weeks or so before my GCSE exams begin.

I'm pretty late to the game but I hope I can document as much as I can and hopefully achieve the grades that I want, which are:

Biology(AQA) - 9
Chemistry(AQA) - 9
Physics(AQA) - 8
Mathematics(Edexcel) - 9
Computer Science(OCR) - 8
Geography(WJEC Eduqas Geography B) - 8
English Language(Edexcel) - 7
English Literature(Edexcel) - 7
3-D Art and Design(was previously Resistant Materials but my class were behind on the course and so it got changed )(AQA) - 7
Spanish(AQA - Foundation ) - 4

I plan to do lots of revision in these last few remaining weeks as I haven't done much so far and in result, I'm pretty disappointed in myself...

But nevertheless, without further ado... let's begin (and get those grades!)
brarje
Rep:
?
Some info about me:
Currently in Year 11
Possibly pursuing a career in Dentistry
Looking to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A-Levels
Grades and marks from the previous round of Mocks (23/03/2018)
Spoiler:
Show

Mathematics Edexcel total: 169/240 // Grade 8 (Don't have papers /w me)

AQA Biology 1H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 63/100
AQA Biology 2H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 63/100
AQA Biology total : 126/200 // Grade: 7

AQA Physics 1H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 67/100
AQA Physics 2H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 60/100
AQA Physics total: 127/200 // Grade: 7

AQA Chemistry 1H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 70/100
AQA Chemistry 2H Specimen 2018 (Set 2): 78/100
AQA Chemistry total: 148/200 // Grade: 7

ZigZag Education - OCR Computer Science Component 1: 57/80
ZigZag Education - OCR Computer Science Component 2: 74/80
ZigZag Education - OCR Computer Science total: 131/160 // Grade 8

AQA Spanish Foundation Listening: 28/40
AQA Spanish Foundation Writing: 30/50
AQA Spanish Foundation Reading: 34/60
AQA Spanish Foundation total: 92/150 // Grade 3 (No revision)

English Language Edexcel // Grade 6 (Don't have papers /w me)
English Literature Edexcel // Grade 6 (Don't have papers /w me)

WJEC Eduqas Geography B component 1: 78/100 // Grade 7
(Don't have other paper's results)

3-D Art and Design // Grade 6 (based on portfolio work)

I'm moderately satisfied with these results since I didn't really do proper revision for them as I didn't have much time (due to procrastination ) and ended up studying until 4am on the days where I had 2 exams for 2 separate sciences...
For the sciences I just read the CGP 9-1 AQA revision guides and did the practice questions inside them which helped me understand basic knowledge about the topics but during the exams I found difficulty in applying this and I also had problems with remembering key facts.
For mathematics, I did little to no revision as I had to revise for other subjects that I was less confident in but in the end, I managed to do pretty well
For english lang and lit I was planning to complete a full set of papers but didn't in the end due to demotivation and I don't like the subjects
For Computer Science I read through the OCR CGP revision guide
For Geography I did little revision but managed to get high marks as I developed my chains of reasoning well

From this, I plan to learn from my mistakes by doing practise exam style questions & knowing all the key information from the exam spec.
brarje
Rep:
?
Update for 09/04/2018:

Biology 21:00 to 23:25 -
Read through some of Topic 5 Homeostasis in the CGP Revision Guide for revision
Did some pages of the CGP Exam Practise Workbook:
pg 58 - Homeostasis 5/10 (From memory)
pg 59 - The Nervous System 11/13 (From memory)
pg 60 - Synapses & Reflexes 7/9 (From memory)
pg 61 - Investigating Reaction Time 7/10
pg 66 - Controlling Body temperature 9/10
pg 70 - The Kidneys 16/17

From doing these, I now know that I need to work on knowing specific keywords and know when and where to use them. I also need to improve on reading questions and understanding the context of questions fully so that I can write answers that are more relevant to what the question is asking.

Mathematics 23:30 to 01:00 -
Attempted to finish the 10th Churchill Edexcel Mathematics paper in the booklet but almost dozed off lol. I did manage to answer at least 2/3s of the paper though and will probably finish it tomorrow.

From doing these, I know that I need to practise more with ratio questions, algebraic fractions, finding angles of irregular shape and converting between different units.

I regret staying up this late but goodnight anyways. More to come tomorrow
Evil Homer
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by brarje)
So, I've finally decided to start one of these threads in order to motivate myself (& others) throughout the last 5 weeks or so before my GCSE exams begin.

I'm pretty late to the game but I hope I can document as much as I can and hopefully achieve the grades that I want, which are:
Hey!

There's no reason why you cant, motivation is half the battle! :battle:

Keep working hard and documenting what you do and i'm sure you will get what you want
brarje
Rep:
?
Update for 10/04/2018: (Done on 11/04/2018)

Mathematics -
Managed to finish the 11th Churchill Edexcel Mathematics paper in timed conditions (80 minutes) and then marked 4 previous ones and managed to get an average of 59/80.

I still need to practice with topics that I'm less confident in to achieve higher marks.

Didn't do much work today because I got caught up watching "Friends" in the morning and then finishing the 3rd season of "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." which was awesome (but I regret it ) I also ended up watching a random video on youtube about a guy surfing with a sofa... :burnout:

Update for 11/04/2018:

English Literature -
Finally managed to motivate myself in order to completely finish my revision notes for "The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde". To do this, I went through Mr Bruff's videos on youtube and made notes on lined paper, which was a tedious process, but managed to pull it off in the end by taking regular breaks. Now I need to make notes on "Much Ado About Nothing", "The Woman in Black", some poems in the Conflict poetry anthology and do an exam question surrounding this novel in timed conditions.

Computer Science 22:30 to 00:00 -
Read through all of "Section Three - Issues" in the OCR CGP 9-1 revision guide for revision. Tomorrow, I will then complete a short mock test about it to apply and strengthen my knowledge.
brarje
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hey!

There's no reason why you cant, motivation is half the battle! :battle:

Keep working hard and documenting what you do and i'm sure you will get what you want
Thanks man
GCSE qwert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I need help. I don’t know how to properly use maths past papers and specimen papers. I did them and then I look through what I got wrong then I do the paper again but like when I do other papers with the same questions I can’t do it.
brarje
Rep:
?
(Original post by GCSE qwert)
I need help. I don’t know how to properly use maths past papers and specimen papers. I did them and then I look through what I got wrong then I do the paper again but like when I do other papers with the same questions I can’t do it.
First, you need to know what type of questions you're getting wrong and why you're getting them wrong.
Once you understand, you need to do a variety of questions that surround the topic that you're getting wrong.
Start with easy questions first then after you get those right, challenge yourself with harder questions to strengthen your understanding of the overall topic. You could also do questions that are in a different format e.g. a word problem.
After this, your understanding should be good enough to be able to work through future questions effortlessly.
brarje
Rep:
?
Update for 12/04/2018:
Today, I only managed to write up and send a letter to my GP about getting a work experience placement, that could do during summer holidays. Hopefully, I'll get the place.
I procrastinated through most of the day. (with the help of youtube)
Going to have an early night tonight so that I can hopefully wake up early tomorrow and go ham on my revision as I still have shitloads of work to do and my progress has been pretty appalling.
brarje
Rep:
?
So somehow my reply didn't get submitted so this is going to be a short update as I cba to retype the whole thing again
Update 13/04/2018:
English Literature - finished poem analysis of 2 poems
Physics - read though CGP revision guide and did some questions about the info I read. Need to improve on knowing how to do required practicals.

Update 14/04/2018:
Mathematics - went over old questions I got wrong and tried to redo them to understand where I'm going wrong
Biology - had a long class revision session with a teacher which was helpful in some areas they sometimes missed out key parts from the 9-1 spec.

Still behind on a bunch of revision :\ GCSEs are also in a month :burnout:
brarje
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Update for 15/04/2018:
3D Art & Design - Completed a slide for research and added some annotations for my work in my portfolio

Procrastinated throughout the whole day
Got school tomorrow and I'm planning to wake up at 5:00 tomorrow to do some early morning revision and to freshen my brain up and get me in the correct mindset for school. My current priority is to make notes/flashcards on all the practicals we need to know for the AQA Sciences.
tay_lee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Aiming for similar grades. Good to know your just as behind as I am. Best of luck!
brarje
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Well **** I haven’t updated this in ages...
Still haven’t gone “ham” with revision and I’ve been trying to get my 3D art sculpture thing and my portfolio done.
Also been procrastinating 😬
Wondering if getting 8/9s (especially in science) is possible now ://
Anyone got any advice?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
kasacolx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by brarje)
Well **** I haven’t updated this in ages...
Still haven’t gone “ham” with revision and I’ve been trying to get my 3D art sculpture thing and my portfolio done.
Also been procrastinating 😬
Wondering if getting 8/9s (especially in science) is possible now ://
Anyone got any advice?
Hello I’m currently doing GCSEs too any advice especially for maths and English and science also especially with maths as I’ve done literally all the past papers I can find that there’s none left and looked over all my mocks any advice also because I still struggle and I do alot of work.
Saif Saleemi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i have literally done no revision... but i did loads before and covered everything. i just look back at notes before i go to bed. only did maths and resistant materials revsion. got dt tomorrow ...
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Have your exams gone well? brarje
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
hope your exams went well
brarje
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Sorry I haven’t got back to the majority of people on here but I got my results yesterday and I think I did well.
Particularly proud of the 9 I managed to get in chemistry and physics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (111)
58.42%
No (79)
41.58%

Watched Threads