The Student Room Group

Part 2 Architecture Student Finance

Hello, I graduated from my part 1 architecture undergrad degree in July 2017 (4 year sandwich), I am thinking to start my part 2 either in 2018 or 2019. I am slightly confused about how funding will work for architecture part 2. I understand that SFE will see both part 1 & 2 as a single 5 year degree as long as no more than 3 years gap is taken place between the two courses. My confusion being: since my part 1 was four years (during which I had had student finance for each year including placement year), does that '3 year gap' still start from back in July 2017 when I graduated? (meaning that I can do my Part 2 latest in Oct 2020) Secondly, because of the fact that my part 1 was four years, would I expected SFE to support my final year of my part two or not, as it would be 6 years in total? Lastly, I didn't need to tell my uni or SFE that I was taking gaps between part 1 & 2 when I finished Part 1, did I?

Sorry if it was not explained clearly, thank you for your time.
Original post by ym94
Hello, I graduated from my part 1 architecture undergrad degree in July 2017 (4 year sandwich), I am thinking to start my part 2 either in 2018 or 2019. I am slightly confused about how funding will work for architecture part 2. I understand that SFE will see both part 1 & 2 as a single 5 year degree as long as no more than 3 years gap is taken place between the two courses. My confusion being: since my part 1 was four years (during which I had had student finance for each year including placement year), does that '3 year gap' still start from back in July 2017 when I graduated? (meaning that I can do my Part 2 latest in Oct 2020) Secondly, because of the fact that my part 1 was four years, would I expected SFE to support my final year of my part two or not, as it would be 6 years in total? Lastly, I didn't need to tell my uni or SFE that I was taking gaps between part 1 & 2 when I finished Part 1, did I?

Sorry if it was not explained clearly, thank you for your time.

Hi Ym94,

While the majority of RIBA part 1 courses are 3 years, the 4 year sandwich route is another common route and SFE take that into account. This means that if you start RIBA part 2 within 3 years of completing RIBA part 1, including the sandwich year, you'll be classed as a returning student and be eligible for full funding for your full RIBA part 2.

This fact that you've not told SFE about the gap between 1 and 2 should't cause any issues with your Student Finance. I'd recommending double checking with the University as their policies may differ.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 2
I’m in a similar situation however I did a 3 year architecture undergraduate degree, worked for a year and now want to take a further 2 years to work/travel before going back to university for my part 2/masters. Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation or can offer any advice as to if a 3 year break with effect my student finance for my final 2 years? I’m in NI if this makes any difference. Any advice or answers greatly appreciated
Original post by sk75
I’m in a similar situation however I did a 3 year architecture undergraduate degree, worked for a year and now want to take a further 2 years to work/travel before going back to university for my part 2/masters. Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation or can offer any advice as to if a 3 year break with effect my student finance for my final 2 years? I’m in NI if this makes any difference. Any advice or answers greatly appreciated

You would need to contact Student Finance Northern Ireland if this is who you have previously applied to. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending