The Student Room Group

Police Officer here. Ask me anything about working for the Police!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by TommyDH
Why do you ignore child victims of rape?

That's quite an accusation to infer. Surely you'll have evidence and or a reference to provide showing the Officer above "ignoring child victims of rape". Or maybe... you're some triggered little kid behind a computer screen that thinks every single officer out there is corrupt and unable to conduct his or her job in the correct manner.

If you don't have such evidence (which I know you don't) then I, or anyone else has absolutely no time dealing with made up accusations towards the people that would be willing to give their life to save anyone of us.

People like you don't make it very far in life :smile:
Original post by !play
That's quite an accusation to infer. Surely you'll have evidence and or a reference to provide showing the Officer above "ignoring child victims of rape". Or maybe... you're some triggered little kid behind a computer screen that thinks every single officer out there is corrupt and unable to conduct his or her job in the correct manner.

If you don't have such evidence (which I know you don't) then I, or anyone else has absolutely no time dealing with made up accusations towards the people that would be willing to give their life to save anyone of us.

People like you don't make it very far in life :smile:

Rotherham, Rochdale Telford, Oldham, Blackpool, Newcastle

Need I go on?

In Rotherham the police were even raping the children themselves. When a 13 year old was being brutalized in the police car park the police just laughed and watched as she was raped.

The police also arrested dads who tried to rescue their daughters.

The police arrested the rape victim instead of the terrorists raping her. They also punished rape victims and would rape or threaten the victims themselves if they ever tried to report

So yes, I do have evidence, it's called documented fact. The police are evil, they are enemy of the people. I hate them so much. There's no such thing as a good copper, because if there was none of the above would be happening.
Reply 182
I'm really interested in joining the police but I'm not sure what to study at uni that would be useful? I'm leaning towards criminology but was wondering if theres anything else that will benefit me in the long run?
Original post by wsteph
I'm really interested in joining the police but I'm not sure what to study at uni that would be useful? I'm leaning towards criminology but was wondering if theres anything else that will benefit me in the long run?

Not as such;

I have a law degree, and it hasn't made any difference to my policing career. I'd personally say that life experience in the real world will give you the best opportunity.

Having said that - have a look at your local police force and see the process for joining. There is a new system coming where recruits will either need a degree, or they will do a policing degree as part of 'on the job' type training. I'm not very clued up on this new process.

Go to university if that's what you want to do. Study something you enjoy and a subject you will thrive in. Try and get a part-time job or volunteer work to get some experience. Apply for the police after university.
Reply 184
Thinking of doing a law degree.
and then apply to become a detective.
is there a quicker way to become a detective?
is uni necessary ?
What is your opinion on Moped gangs and knife crime, and do you think the police are taking enough measures to stop it...
From what i've heard, the police usually do not chase people on Mopeds as it is a hazard to civilians but over time, the amount of people joining Moped gangs is increasing and Theresa May has lowered the amount of officers in the police force.
Within a week of 2019, Moped crimes had caused over 14 casualties/deaths.

How do you think the police will counter Moped Crime in the future?
Original post by faz10
is uni necessary ?

University isn't necessary.

Some forces are doing direct entry scheme for detectives - I know the met are trialing it.

Other option is to join up, and once you've done your initial 2 years, you can apply to any department you like (including DC).

National shortage of detectives so once you're in the job you shouldn't have any issues.

Original post by NeedsHelp098
What is your opinion on Moped gangs and knife crime, and do you think the police are taking enough measures to stop it...
From what i've heard, the police usually do not chase people on Mopeds as it is a hazard to civilians but over time, the amount of people joining Moped gangs is increasing and Theresa May has lowered the amount of officers in the police force.
Within a week of 2019, Moped crimes had caused over 14 casualties/deaths.

How do you think the police will counter Moped Crime in the future?

It's a very complex issue which requires response and initiatives from many organisations, not just the police.

Quite simply however, there are tens of thousands less police officers on the streets now. The police are also dealing with far more than what was previously in their remit. Funding cuts + more demand + officer cuts = problems. We're now starting to see the result of austerity. It doesn't just effect the police - look at the ambulance service, social services, mental health services. Go on the frontline with any of these and you will see how deep the cuts have hurt.

In relation to chasing mopeds - this will be dependent on force policy. Where I work, as a standard cop, I'm not even trained to chase (pursue is the correct term...) cars, let alone mopeds.
Reply 187
Original post by faz10
is uni necessary ?

There are direct entry schemes around right now, no degree required.

Have a look to see what forces are doing them. The Met have just run a big one.
Reply 188
Original post by CheeseManX

Some forces are doing direct entry scheme for detectives - I know the met are trialing it.

Other option is to join up, and once you've done your initial 2 years, you can apply to any department you like (including DC).

National shortage of detectives so once you're in the job you shouldn't have any issues.

Ahh right. Im currently in year 12. So if I apply it would be for 2020 after June.

When would the intake be in 2020 ?

How long is the scheme for detectives?
[QUOTE="faz10;81563516"]
Original post by CheeseManX

Ahh right. Im currently in year 12. So if I apply it would be for 2020 after June.

When would the intake be in 2020 ?

How long is the scheme for detectives?

You're better off looking nearer the time - things in the police tend to change quite frequent in regards to recruitment. Just keep working hard
Reply 190
[QUOTE="CheeseManX;81563564"]
Original post by faz10

You're better off looking nearer the time - things in the police tend to change quite frequent in regards to recruitment. Just keep working hard

Okk thanks

Im really interested in solving crimes and all that but would like to get some kind of work experience or summer placement. Do the Police offer those for under 18 ?
I am interested in becoming a detetive constable but am not sure which forces are doing it.
Are there any officers on here in the North East? I could do with some advice!
Hertfordshire and the Met are recruiting for this :smile: I’ve applied for TDC for the Met and have a assessment in May.
Original post by PoliceOfficer999
As above..

What would you say is the hardest thing about working in the police force?
Sorry for replying to a 9 month old thread, but this is probably the best place to ask: I am due to start university in September, studying policing in London. Should I skip university and apply without a degree now, because they are so desperate for police officers (particularly in London)? Because, if I am unsuccessful, I will have to apply for university again next year, because that's when the degree requirement kicks in? Thank you
Original post by sethlqg
Sorry for replying to a 9 month old thread, but this is probably the best place to ask: I am due to start university in September, studying policing in London. Should I skip university and apply without a degree now, because they are so desperate for police officers (particularly in London)? Because, if I am unsuccessful, I will have to apply for university again next year, because that's when the degree requirement kicks in? Thank you

Hi mate, not sure if this is still relevant, but honestly if it was me I would join now, and then do a degree in a few years if you still wanted to. You only get to use student finance once, and if I had my time again I would choose a different degree when I wasn't a moronic 18 year old.
Original post by OpiumDesign
What would you say is the hardest thing about working in the police force?

The workloads for sure. Some detectives carry case loads that are 20, 25 cases big, and they're all serious ones too. Rapes, murder, aggravated GBH etc.
Original post by PoliceOfficer999
The workloads for sure. Some detectives carry case loads that are 20, 25 cases big, and they're all serious ones too. Rapes, murder, aggravated GBH etc.

This, keeping on top of workload is a killer.

Anyway, my question, from a force that no longer has a graduate entry scheme....

Is do you agree with it?

When I was at uni thinking of applying I was fully supportive. However, nowadays my views have changed.

A PC yeah ok.
Straight in as a DC.... hmmm.
Straight in as an Inspector (if you had relevant business acumen/experience etc) is just f***ing crazy.
(edited 4 years ago)
Is it true "snitches get stitches"?
Original post by Unistudent77
This, keeping on top of workload is a killer.

Anyway, my question, from a force that no longer has a graduate entry scheme....

Is do you agree with it?

When I was at uni thinking of applying I was fully supportive. However, nowadays my views have changed.

A PC yeah ok.
Straight in as a DC.... hmmm.
Straight in as an Inspector (if you had relevant business acumen/experience etc) is just f***ing crazy.

I think the graduate entry schemes are a really bad idea. Police Now is basically a management scheme where you get to wear a police uniform.

I'd always say that the best way to join is to join as a PC in the traditional way learn your trade that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending