The Student Room Group

Police Officer here. Ask me anything about working for the Police!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trinculo
I promise you, the smart decision is to finish your pharmacy degree and apply to whatever force as a graduate entry. Don't drop out.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Met is by a long way the biggest recruiter taking on 100s of officers a month at times. County forces sometimes only recruit once or twice a year for a few dozen officers. This does mean that the process can be very competitive, and you will be going up against a lot of people for relatively few positions. Other things to consider might be the non-home office forces like BTP and the CNC/MDP where all the officers are AFOs - do bear in mind that some of these are roles that people can find very dull.

I honestly dont know what to do. I cant decide. I am not enjoying the pharmacy course at all and i really want to become a CTSFO. I know i could finish my pharmacy course and then apply. However i still have 3 years left and i want to become an SFO at a young age.
Original post by Sismail12
I honestly dont know what to do. I cant decide. I am not enjoying the pharmacy course at all and i really want to become a CTSFO. I know i could finish my pharmacy course and then apply. However i still have 3 years left and i want to become an SFO at a young age.

Ultimately, you have to make your own decisions. If this is your career goal, then it's something for you to aim for and build toward. If you want my advice, though - I would either stay with Pharmacy - or if you really can't stand it try and transfer to a degree at the same university that you would enjoy. Unless there is a huge financial motive a degree that you have done for yourself is much better. I would also look at starting your application early in your 3rd year.
If you are on the direct entry detective scheme is it at all possible to go down the fire arms route ie CTSFO in the met police? Or would it be very unusual for a detective to go towards firearms?
Original post by Shang86
If you are on the direct entry detective scheme is it at all possible to go down the fire arms route ie CTSFO in the met police? Or would it be very unusual for a detective to go towards firearms?

Detectives can be AFOs, but it would usually be in the context of an armed detective role, like Flying Squad. As a borough detective, you could be qualified, but you'd have to ask yourself when you would ever carry a firearm, or even a taser. Your average CID or Safeguarding officer has no armed function at all.

SFOs and the like are overwhelmingly PC roles, which at the moment, DCs are barred from applying for as a matter of HR policy (basically they need to retain DCs). As for the Direct Entry scheme, this seems to change by the week, but from what I gather, DE DCs are always going to be DCs and unless there is some big change in the future, they can't "become" PCs.

You kind of have to decide what you want to do. If you want to do investigate serious crime, manage casefiles and call yourself a detective - then become a DC. If you want to drive fast, arrest people and shoot guns, these things are vastly more accessible as a PC.
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi my gf is joining the police (about to start vetting) in 2016 I had an unconditional discharge (possession of class b) then another for stupidly breaching it. (no action taken)Will this effect her vetting?
I'm really interested in joining the police (would love to become a dog handler eventually!) but not sure which route I should apply for: apprenticeship or degree programme.
I have an ordinary degree (BA no honours) as I didn't finish my final year due to illness. I didn't enjoy my degree subject and really dragged myself through it so finishing it would be a last resort as I'd rather focus on something I'm passionate about.
I've had a look online but there's a lot of conflicting info. Police Now states it must be 2:2 honours degree but Leicester police website says the degree I have would qualify for the degree programme.
I'd really appreciate help clearing this up :smile:
I've passed the Assessment Centre and have my Final Interview later this week. Done loads of prep but any advice would be well received! Thank you

Quick Reply