Police Officer here. Ask me anything about working for the Police! Watch

!play
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PoliceOfficer999)
GMP are recruiting actively. They're currently doing intakes once every 10 weeks, but they don't advertise that on the website. You need to email [email protected] k and ask them to send you an application form the next time that recruitment opens up, and they will be happy to oblige.

The degree makes no difference to be honest. I don't give a damn about the person next to me being well qualified if we have to run into an incident where there may be a violent, knife wielding suspect. All I care about is if they're a good cop.

You may do. I know 18 year old Police officers, but the truth is that the majority of 18 year olds just don't have the life experience to get through the assessment centre. But by all means, apply! You can apply as many times as you want, so if you don't get in the first time just keep applying every 6 months. That's what I did.

Police Now is a management graduate scheme that allows you to wear a Police uniform. If you want to be a good old fashioned Police officer doing Police officer things, then join the standard way.

It's not a weird question! I don't know to be honest, it depends entirely on the area you police. I work somewhere with a lot of drug users, so overdoses are very common and there will be a few sudden deaths per week, but obviously it won't always be you going to those jobs.
I appreciate your response so much! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I love people that take their time to try and answer every question thrown at them, what a great quality.

Would you happen to know any diabetics in the force? I'm Type 1 and half of my ambitions had gone out the window when diagnosed. I've got over it now and it's very well controlled. The next officer would have more chance of having a heart attack before my bloods went under. I really don't like getting treated any different. Because to me, I don't feel at all different. I ran the London marathon in 3:33:06. I go to the gym regularly with mates, socialize quite a bit, all while studying for exams (college) etc...

Sorry if it sounds like i'm trying to throw you my life story right now, and expect you to hold it. I don't haha

Also does being diabetic prevent you from joining roles such as firearms/traffic officer?

I also have glasses that correct my vision to 20/20. By now I reckon you're thinking I'm broken haha.

Thanks anyway
!play
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RoxxDavv)
That's disgusting, once again people like me without GCSEs or A levels are pushed out of any chance of having a successful future.
There's always another way! Don't give up with your ambitions! Never
Anagogic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's disgusting, once again people like me without GCSEs or A levels are pushed out of any chance of having a successful future.
Not something I agree with but that's how things are going these days.
RoxxDavv
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anagogic)
Not something I agree with but that's how things are going these days.
What?
Anagogic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What?
I'm confused as to what you don't understand.
RoxxDavv
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm confused as to what you don't understand.
"That's how things are going these days" bit
Astropirata
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you ever come across any really weird crimes? Are you allowed to talk about them?

Also, how do you deal with seeing the bad side of humanity?
Anagogic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"That's how things are going these days" bit
That qualifications are becoming more of a necessity to employers.
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Çharmander)
If you can choose one starter to work with you. Would you pick Squirtle or Bulbasaur?

Spoiler:
Show
.. coz I’d pick none of them, smh.
Isn't Growlithe an officer's choice of Pokemon?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you agree with the decision of having to have a degree if you apply beyond 2020?
You can gain the degree via a paid police apprenticeship

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...ing-the-police

Police apprenticeships and degrees

The College of Policing has announced that beyond 2020, you'll need a degree to become a police officer in England and Wales. It says this change is necessary because policing is now more complex than it was and officers must be accredited to the appropriate standard.

There will be three new entry routes:

a three-year police constable degree apprenticeship paid for by the force

a specific policing degree at undergraduate level

a six-month postgraduate conversion course paid for by the force.

These entry routes will be available with some early-adopting police forces in 2018.

Police officers who go on to apply to be an assistant chief constable or above will need to have a Masters degree (this will also be paid for by the force).

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3911170
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
Isn't Growlithe an officer's choice of Pokemon?
most tiger species hold an endangered status on them, cant bring them up to the war zone anymore
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RoxxDavv
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You can gain the degree via a paid police apprenticeship

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...ing-the-police

Police apprenticeships and degrees

The College of Policing has announced that beyond 2020, you'll need a degree to become a police officer in England and Wales. It says this change is necessary because policing is now more complex than it was and officers must be accredited to the appropriate standard.

There will be three new entry routes:

a three-year police constable degree apprenticeship paid for by the force

a specific policing degree at undergraduate level

a six-month postgraduate conversion course paid for by the force.

These entry routes will be available with some early-adopting police forces in 2018.

Police officers who go on to apply to be an assistant chief constable or above will need to have a Masters degree (this will also be paid for by the force).

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll need the GCSEs and probably A levels still to do the apprenticeship and definitely for the university
IDOZ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Been in any car chases?
cat_mac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Scorpio2810)
hi,

I have done Masters but, I still cant drive lol....!! I find the police career very interesting but, also a single mum and I'm not sure about the hours required to do....!
My dad was in the police and it was really disruptive during childhood. I hardly saw him because of the shifts, and when he was at home he was trying to catch up on sleep! He worked pretty much every Christmas too. I’m not sure if theres a way you can work regular hours instead of shifts, but if you can only work shifts I’d recommend at least waiting until your kids are older. And have flexible and reliable childcare!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'll need the GCSEs and probably A levels still to do the apprenticeship and definitely for the university
Many jobs require Maths and English at GCSE, if you don't have them you will need to gain those qualifications.

And then do an AccessHE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PoliceOfficer999
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by adamantacademic)
Hi was there any grad schemes when you applied? Is there much earning potential in policing?
The earning potential is actually pretty good. You'll start on around £20,000 and be at £38,000 after 7 years or so, and that doesn't include overtime or working on bank holidays (double pay!) or shift enhancements. You're never going to become rich working as a PC, but you can live comfortably for sure.

If you get promoted beyond PC then the earning potential obviously goes up. Most Chief Constables are earning in excess of £100,000 p/a.
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
Can you join without any qualifications?
As far as I know, currently you need a level 3 qualification to join.
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Your opinion on Direct Entry Inspectors and Superintendents?
I think Inspectors realistically need to have done street policing to be effective cops. So much of this job is learned on the streets, and so much of it is influenced by your own discretion and experience that I'm not sure managers with no policing history make good inspectors. Superintendents are a bit more understandable as there's essentially no work done on the streets, but I'd still rather they binned the whole scheme.
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
(Original post by GenericName101)
What the most dangerous job you've done, don't want to be a police officer, just curious.
I've been lucky in that I haven't done any really dangerous jobs so far. Executing warrants on drugs addresses is always quite dangerous as people are very willing to attack Police Officers to avoid having their drugs confiscated and their liberty taken away.
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
Do you agree with the decision of having to have a degree if you apply beyond 2020?
No, I think the whole idea is a pile of ****, but there are other ways to get in, as another user has mentioned. You can either do the degree first then join, or do an apprenticeship which will end with you having a degree. I think. I don't even know, the whole idea is ****ing stupid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (209)
14.74%
The paper was reasonable (794)
55.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (310)
21.86%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
7.4%

Watched Threads