Police Officer here. Ask me anything about working for the Police! Watch

PoliceOfficer999
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
PoliceOfficer999

Does the National Decision Model act as an indemnity for officers? If you make a decision under the model, for example in a public order situation, are you protected against legal or internal disciplinary action?
Sort of. The NDM provides cops with a framework to make decisions, and the theory is that if you go through the NDM properly, you will be protected as your actions will have been proportionate, legal, accountable and necessary. There are all sorts of laws that protect cops when doing things required for the job, and it gets to a point where you will go through the NDM subconsciously because you just know all of those laws.
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scorpio2810)
hi,

I have done Masters but, I still cant drive lol....!! I find the police career very interesting but, also a single mum and I'm not sure about the hours required to do....!
The Police will mess up your personal life for sure. You will have to work a shift pattern which generally looks like..

07:00 - 17:00
07:00 - 17:00
14:30 - 23:00
14:30 - 23:00
22:00 - 07:00
22:00 - 07:00
Rest day
Rest day
Rest day
Rest day

REPEAT.

And there's no guarantee that you will finish at those times. If you have to make an arrest at 06:30 for drink drive and the person that you take to custody is really unwilling to go and then kicks up a huge fuss when you get to custody and won't stop threatening to self harm and then takes ages to use the evidential breath machine and then throws a dirty protest and that's before you even get chance to start doing arrest statements and use of force forms, you aint getting home at 07:00.
madmadmax321
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RoxxDavv)
That's disgusting, once again people like me without GCSEs or A levels are pushed out of any chance of having a successful future.
While I disagree with the decision to require a degree if you really want *insert career that requires X qualifications* then you will work towards getting them, the people who dont want to get the qualifications clearly just dont actually want the career/thing they are aiming for. The qualification is just a means to an end
TFrey19
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve wanted to join the police for about 3 years, studying criminology this year. However I’ve been told there’s a policy on tattoos? I have one small one, will that affect anything?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SamKent19
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do you feel about people challenging the police? Ie. streetwise/people who know their rights and challenge arrest. Does that not frustrate you.

At a police station, officers park their vehicle away from police station and don't wear uniform when they leave shifts for their own safety. Can you relate?
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jusiak99)
Are there many non-UK citizens in the police? Do you know whether Brexit will change the ability of EU citizens to join the police? I’m planning on studying criminology in England and then becoming a police officer (becoming a detective is my dream), but I am afraid my nationality will be an obstacle...
I honestly don't know as far as Brexit is concerned, I don't think the Police even know themselves.

What I will say is that I know plenty of non-UK citizens in the Police and they are honestly worth their weight in gold, especially if they come from the ethnic groups of the people that we come into contact with. The language and cultural input they provide is invaluable. And that goes for any under represented groups. I know LGBT officers, and without them we wouldn't have nearly as much sway with some of the gay bars and clubs that are in the area I Police. I really strongly believe that the more diverse the Police force is, the stronger it is and the better the community is served.
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
(Original post by IDOZ)
Been in any car chases?
Unfortunately not, I'm not pursuit trained so I have to leave that to the people that are!
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
(Original post by TFrey19)
I’ve wanted to join the police for about 3 years, studying criminology this year. However I’ve been told there’s a policy on tattoos? I have one small one, will that affect anything?
It depends where it is and what it is. You shouldn't really have any problems these days unless it's a swastika on your forehead or something. Sometimes they get a bit weird about tattoos being above your collar or on your hands but it does depend on the force.
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
(Original post by !play)
I appreciate your response so much! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I love people that take their time to try and answer every question thrown at them, what a great quality.

Would you happen to know any diabetics in the force? I'm Type 1 and half of my ambitions had gone out the window when diagnosed. I've got over it now and it's very well controlled. The next officer would have more chance of having a heart attack before my bloods went under. I really don't like getting treated any different. Because to me, I don't feel at all different. I ran the London marathon in 3:33:06. I go to the gym regularly with mates, socialize quite a bit, all while studying for exams (college) etc...

Sorry if it sounds like i'm trying to throw you my life story right now, and expect you to hold it. I don't haha

Also does being diabetic prevent you from joining roles such as firearms/traffic officer?

I also have glasses that correct my vision to 20/20. By now I reckon you're thinking I'm broken haha.

Thanks anyway
I don't personally know any diabetics, you'd have to enquire with the force you want to apply for. Generally it will be looked at on a case by case basis.

I appreciate that's a bit of a crap answer, but completely understand your frustration. I was turned down by the armed forces for a totally non-limiting medical condition, at a time when they are constantly whinging about a lack of manpower. Which is why I'm now a cop!

In terms of eyesight, the Home Office recently changed the guidance to say that as long as you have glasses or contacts that correct your vision to a decent standard you're good to go.
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadySalted28)
How do you feel about people challenging the police? Ie. streetwise/people who know their rights and challenge arrest. Does that not frustrate you.

At a police station, officers park their vehicle away from police station and don't wear uniform when they leave shifts for their own safety. Can you relate?
It makes our job harder, I won't lie to you. But on the whole I'd rather people were aware of their rights because they should be. But if we've made the decision to arrest, they're coming in no matter what. If we were wrong to arrest, that was a mistake we can sort out later, but I haven't ever been argued out of arresting somebody.

Yeah I can relate. It's just basic safety. A lot of people hate the Police and if we aren't in our kit with our radios on, you're on your own if you get attacked. There are crazy people out there who want to do the Police really serious harm (Just look at the Westminster attack and Keith Palmer).
imetlo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
not to be rude or anything but..... why are you on the STUDENT room?
PoliceOfficer999
Rep:
?
(Original post by imetlo)
not to be rude or anything but..... why are you on the STUDENT room?
To provide STUDENTS with career advice should they wish to join the Police.

I guess reception aged kids are also students, which is why you must be here.

Do you want me to try and arrange a Police car with blue flashing lights to come to your school for you?
Brahiti
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PoliceOfficer999)
As above..
If I have an LLB from the University of London Birkbeck Full-Time and non work experience, what would my chances of becoming a police officer be? Also where you shared the incomes, were the pay point numbers the numbers of years of experience as a police officer?
RoxxDavv
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by madmadmax321)
While I disagree with the decision to require a degree if you really want *insert career that requires X qualifications* then you will work towards getting them, the people who dont want to get the qualifications clearly just dont actually want the career/thing they are aiming for. The qualification is just a means to an end
You don't know what problems I faced.
Brahiti
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I already have an LLB, do I still need to do that whole new degree thing if I want to join the police?
Brahiti
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also what are the health related checkboxes you need to tick to be a police officer? I personally have glasses and some mild liver problems but they don't really get in the way of me physically doing things.

Do you mind if I message you because I may have a fair few more questions
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Brahiti)
If I already have an LLB, do I still need to do that whole new degree thing if I want to join the police?
As per the info I posted yesterday, you can do a 6 month conversion course, paid for by the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brahiti
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
As per the info I posted yesterday, you can do a 6 month conversion course, paid for by the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would I do the 6 month conversion course at the police department?
WhiteBunny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi , Sorry if this sounds stupid , do police work hand in hand with lawyers ? Like do they have partners etc ?
madmadmax321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RoxxDavv)
You don't know what problems I faced.
using them as excuses to not try rather than trying the find solutions to problems you have is a terrible mindset, a lot of people have major problems in their life and find ways to work around them to achieve something they really want (no matter how long it takes + how many trivial things they have to stop doing)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (51)
22.27%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (78)
34.06%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (48)
20.96%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (20)
8.73%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
13.97%

Watched Threads