I need help with my comparison (poetry)

Watch
preparedtowork
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I need help with my poetry comparison I am comparing mother any distance to walking away. The questions compare how poets present parting in mother any distance and another poem

Is this okay;
Simon Armitage uses an unstable sonnet form in the poem “Mother, any distance” to highlight how the speaker and his mother are growing apart. The use of a sonnet reflects the speaker’s potent love towards his mother, as a sonnet is a love poetry aimed to the people whom you love. However, sonnets are written with 14 lines whereas “Mother, any distance” is written with 15 lines. The line that breaks down the sonnet is “to fall or to fly”. The breaking down of the sonnet could imply how the speaker is slowly moving away from his mother, the child and parent relationship is beginning to change, the child is ready to become independent to do so the speaker believes he must become distant with his mother. This builds a vivid image to the reader as they can visualise the parting between mother and child, this leads them to feel utter sympathy towards the mother and the child as their relationship is starting to strain as they are becoming apart.
M00ND4NC3R
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by preparedtowork)
I need help with my poetry comparison I am comparing mother any distance to walking away. The questions compare how poets present parting in mother any distance and another poem

Is this okay;
Simon Armitage uses an unstable sonnet form in the poem “Mother, any distance” to highlight how the speaker and his mother are growing apart. The use of a sonnet reflects the speaker’s potent love towards his mother, as a sonnet is a love poetry aimed to the people whom you love. However, sonnets are written with 14 lines whereas “Mother, any distance” is written with 15 lines. The line that breaks down the sonnet is “to fall or to fly”. The breaking down of the sonnet could imply how the speaker is slowly moving away from his mother, the child and parent relationship is beginning to change, the child is ready to become independent to do so the speaker believes he must become distant with his mother. This builds a vivid image to the reader as they can visualise the parting between mother and child, this leads them to feel utter sympathy towards the mother and the child as their relationship is starting to strain as they are becoming apart.

I havent read these poems but just by reading it i can tell your level of analysis is good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (211)
74.56%
No (72)
25.44%

Watched Threads