Anabeth469
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I have the following question:

Name two waste products produced by the liver, and state where each of these waste products are excreted.

I understand that urea is produced in the liver when excess amino acids are broken down and it is excreted mainly by the kidneys and partially by the skin.

However, I cannot think of another waste product produced in the liver.

The waste products that I have briefly learnt about are urea, carbon dioxide and ions like sodium, potassium or chloride. The other waste products I have mentioned I did not think were produced in the liver, so they are not really useful in answering this question.

So, I am a little confused as to how to fully answer this, if anyone could help I would really appreciate it 😊.
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anabeth469)

Name two waste products produced by the liver, and state where each of these waste products are excreted.

I understand that urea is produced in the liver when excess amino acids are broken down and it is excreted mainly by the kidneys and partially by the skin.

The waste products that I have briefly learnt about are urea, carbon dioxide and ions like sodium, potassium or chloride. The other waste products I have mentioned I did not think were produced in the liver.

So, I am a little confused as to how to fully answer this, if anyone could help I would really appreciate it 😊.
i'm pretty sure excess sodium is let out by sweating
Anabeth469
Rep:
?
(Original post by RickHendricks)
i'm pretty sure excess sodium is let out by sweating
Thank you for your reply, is sodium produced in the liver though?
Anabeth469
Rep:
?
I think I have the answer, the other waste substance would be ammonia, which is also produced in the liver during the breakdown of amino acids and is excreted by the the kidneys.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think I have the answer, the other waste substance would be ammonia, which is also produced in the liver during the breakdown of amino acids and is excreted by the the kidneys.
Hi, actually if we were to excrete ammonia (lol) our urine would have a pungent smell as we pass it In fact, some ammonia is later produced in the toilets [mostly badly maintained public toilets], but our bodies do not normally excrete "poisonous" gases.

One substance that is produced in the kidneys is something called uric acid, which is the breakdown product of nucleic acids (DNA and RNA); these nucleic acids are first converted to hypoxanthine then xanthine then uric acid. (don't worry about the two complex names in italics at your level).

Further, the liver detoxification [de = removing; toxin = harmful substance] role also includes the breakdown of haemoglobin at its end of life. This haemoglobin is broken down into two chemicals called bilirubin and biliverdin, which are excreted in the bile. The bile drains into the duodenum [first part of small intestine] and is what gives the faeces the brownish-green colour, as it is passed out during a "long call".

So now you know 2 more substances excreted by the liver.

Some animals do excrete neat ammonia, but thank god not us!
Anabeth469
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatelgh)
Hi, actually if we were to excrete ammonia (lol) our urine would have a pungent smell as we pass it In fact, some ammonia is later produced in the toilets [mostly badly maintained public toilets], but our bodies do not normally excrete "poisonous" gases.

One substance that is produced in the kidneys is something called uric acid, which is the breakdown product of nucleic acids (DNA and RNA); these nucleic acids are first converted to hypoxanthine then xanthine then uric acid. (don't worry about the two complex names in italics at your level).

Further, the liver detoxification [de = removing; toxin = harmful substance] role also includes the breakdown of haemoglobin at its end of life. This haemoglobin is broken down into two chemicals called bilirubin and biliverdin, which are excreted in the bile. The bile drains into the duodenum [first part of small intestine] and is what gives the faeces the brownish-green colour, as it is passed out during a "long call".

So now you know 2 more substances excreted by the liver.

Some animals do excrete neat ammonia, but thank god not us!
Thank you greatly for your reply, it has provided very helpful further insight into this topic.😊
FelixW555
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

The waste products that I have briefly learnt about are urea, carbon dioxide and ions like sodium, potassium or chloride. The other waste products I have mentioned I did not think were produced in the liver, so they are not really useful in answering this question.

I would answer this as such:

Excretory product 1: Urea, excreted in the form of urine in the kidneys
Excretory product 2: carbon dioxide, produced via the respiration of cells in the liver and excreted through the lungs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?