Weights V Calisthenics for a 16 year old.

Watch
username3444162
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I plan to start working out after my GCSEs and just have a few questions about the two methods of training.

So firstly I'll begin by telling you that my main objective is to put on some solid muscle mass.

I know weight training at a gym would be more suited for this goal however considering I'm only 16 I want to ensure I don't stunt my growth.

I'm not especially tall considering I'm 15 years old ( and 11 months ), I'm 174cm at the moment and I don't see myself becoming any more than 180 considering my dad is 178.

What's your take?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Fitness
username3832246
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
just don't do deadlifts or overhead shoulder press and you're good

dont do squats either just to be safe
username3539714
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Stunting growth is a myth
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Oneiropólos)
I plan to start working out after my GCSEs and just have a few questions about the two methods of training.

So firstly I'll begin by telling you that my main objective is to put on some solid muscle mass.

I know weight training at a gym would be more suited for this goal however considering I'm only 16 I want to ensure I don't stunt my growth.

I'm not especially tall considering I'm 15 years old ( and 11 months ), I'm 174cm at the moment and I don't see myself becoming any more than 180 considering my dad is 178.

What's your take?
It's a complete myth that lifting weights stunts growth.
username3701494
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Oneiropólos)

What's your take?
Klokov started weightlifting at 13, he's now 1.83m
Lifting doesn't stunt your growth
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
I'd go for weightlifting.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lift
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.38%
I'm not sure (43)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.96%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.81%

Watched Threads