Can I get into the ULOTC if I don't really want to purusue a career with the army? Watch

TheGuy264
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
EDIT: Please forgive the typo in the title XD

Hi,

I'm off to LSE(hopefully) in september and I'm interested in joining the University of London OTC.

I've been in my school's cadets throughout secondary school and have really enjoyed it. I know on the official site it says there isn't an obligation to join the army in the future, however, I've heard that it can be quite competitive, so do I still have a reasonable chance given I'm not interested in pursuing a permanent career in the army?

Also, was just wondering if anyone knew roughly how many spaces there will be at the ULOTC this year?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just tell them that you are, or that you are at least open to the idea.
TheGuy264
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Just tell them that you are, or that you are at least open to the idea.
Should I/is it morally right for me to apply for the OTC? I was under the impression it is a more serious version of the cadets and it isn’t there solely to recruit for the army.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheGuy264)
Should I/is it morally right for me to apply for the OTC? I was under the impression it is a more serious version of the cadets and it isn’t there solely to recruit for the army.
They never used to be, but in recent years all the university units have had more of a focus towards recruitment.

There'll be hundreds of applicants. No harm in putting your hat in the ring.
TheGuy264
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
They never used to be, but in recent years all the university units have had more of a focus towards recruitment.

There'll be hundreds of applicants. No harm in putting your hat in the ring.
Ok, great. Thanks for the advice.
bris45
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It might be more "serious", but in reality the majority in OTC dont want to join the Army and are just keen on the AT and the cheap drinks with good socials
Rbrown1072
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m in ULOTC, message me if you’ve got any questions but tbh I would say 50% if the guys and gals don’t end up joining the army. It’s still a great experience for a civilian career or reserves, they push that aspect! Also there’s plenty of places, I wouldn’t worry, as long as you pass the medical and are decent person you’ll be fine! It’s the biggest otc in the country so places are not short!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads