Itshayder
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently a second year studying Economics, I achieved A*B Distinction in, A-Level Mathematics, A-Level Economics and Level 3 BTEC Business (Single) respectively. Like many people I ended up finding out that the degree/path I chose is not for me, well I knew it wasn't for me from the beginning, I just didn't know what I wanted to do, and I believed that this was the most lucrative path available to me.

However some years later I realised how much psychology means to me, for years I thought I didn't have an interest in any academic kind of subject but I became obsessed with understanding the brain, people and how people tick. I feel like now I know many times more about those kind of topics than economics. I have a strong sense of empathy and I feel like I'm the opposite of judgemental, I always put myself in other people's shoes and try to understand their perspectives before I criticise. I feel like this is definitely the field for me.

However I feel like the window to become a clinical psychologist has passed, as I would have had to have started a Psychology degree or a Medicine degree, which I now wouldn't be able to afford as student finance has already paid for 2 of my years and I would probably have to spend extra years in study to be even able to enter a medicine degree (if it's even possible to do medicine at this point).

So implying becoming a clinical psychologist is my dream, is there anyway to still achieve this? I'm open to studying abroad as long as the path is realistic and attainable. I feel like there's a solid chance that I could fail my current Economics degree or not achieve a 2:1 or higher so there's that to consider too. What are my next best alternatives? Is it too late? Am I naive in posting this hoping someone will give me an answer that will help me to solidify the path to my purpose in life?

Any feedback will be appreciated.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Itshayder)
Hi,

I'm currently a second year studying Economics, I achieved A*B Distinction in, A-Level Mathematics, A-Level Economics and Level 3 BTEC Business (Single) respectively. Like many people I ended up finding out that the degree/path I chose is not for me, well I knew it wasn't for me from the beginning, I just didn't know what I wanted to do, and I believed that this was the most lucrative path available to me.

However some years later I realised how much psychology means to me, for years I thought I didn't have an interest in any academic kind of subject but I became obsessed with understanding the brain, people and how people tick. I feel like now I know many times more about those kind of topics than economics. I have a strong sense of empathy and I feel like I'm the opposite of judgemental, I always put myself in other people's shoes and try to understand their perspectives before I criticise. I feel like this is definitely the field for me.

However I feel like the window to become a clinical psychologist has passed, as I would have had to have started a Psychology degree or a Medicine degree, which I now wouldn't be able to afford as student finance has already paid for 2 of my years and I would probably have to spend extra years in study to be even able to enter a medicine degree (if it's even possible to do medicine at this point).

So implying becoming a clinical psychologist is my dream, is there anyway to still achieve this? I'm open to studying abroad as long as the path is realistic and attainable. I feel like there's a solid chance that I could fail my current Economics degree or not achieve a 2:1 or higher so there's that to consider too. What are my next best alternatives? Is it too late? Am I naive in posting this hoping someone will give me an answer that will help me to solidify the path to my purpose in life?

Doesnt say here you need a medicine degree. Not thinking of a psychiatrist?
https://nationalcareersservice.direc...l-psychologist.
Looks like a psychology degree and then three years postgrad?
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...l-psychologist
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...l-psychologist

At the moment your student finance is degree -1 meaning they ill pay for second year onwards.If you dropped out you would have to find one years fees, but you would still get maintenance. If you could find a compelling personal reason i.e mental health, that forced you to drop out then you might get some finance reinstated. the more student finance you use then the less you have for something else.

read the links and do more research. Its not impossible, but you will need to make some choices.
Itshayder
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Doesnt say here you need a medicine degree. Not thinking of a psychiatrist?
https://nationalcareersservice.direc...l-psychologist.
Looks like a psychology degree and then three years postgrad?
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...l-psychologist
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...l-psychologist

At the moment your student finance is degree -1 meaning they ill pay for second year onwards.If you dropped out you would have to find one years fees, but you would still get maintenance. If you could find a compelling personal reason i.e mental health, that forced you to drop out then you might get some finance reinstated. the more student finance you use then the less you have for something else.

read the links and do more research. Its not impossible, but you will need to make some choices.
You're right, my research was lacking. Thank you very much for your response and compiling those thinks for me, that really clarified some things for me. Yeah it seems to be just going down the route of a Psychology bachelors into a masters and doctorates. I guess it's a choice that I'll make once I've done enough research in regards to whether I'm willing and capable of completing the masters and doctorate as they seem to be the biggest obstacles. I don't think it would be terribly difficult to clear into a psychology degree but I don't want to be stuck with just the bachelors.

Thank you again.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
You're right, my research was lacking. Thank you very much for your response and compiling those thinks for me, that really clarified some things for me. Yeah it seems to be just going down the route of a Psychology bachelors into a masters and doctorates. I guess it's a choice that I'll make once I've done enough research in regards to whether I'm willing and capable of completing the masters and doctorate as they seem to be the biggest obstacles. I don't think it would be terribly difficult to clear into a psychology degree but I don't want to be stuck with just the bachelors.

Thank you again.
The issue is funding. there are a lot of psychology graduates, so you need to know you will be good enough.
If its the lifelong ambition you claim, then you need to put your money where your mouth is and make the commitment to get you there.
The other alternative is if you are at a good uni and you do well at E then you have a career and earn the money.
The time to have the change of mind was really in year 1. GL.
Itshayder
Rep:
?
I would have made the change during first year but the realisation of ambition only came this year. And is my competition most people that are psychology graduates in terms of moving onto masters and/or doctorates? Or are most people that come out of the bachelors typically content with their degree and look for work? To make the question simpler I checked the unistats of Psychology at my university, the University of Surrey, and the stats were that 4.76% of graduated continued on to further study. Do you think that this stat is reflective of the Psychology degree in general? And if so would you think this number exists because of how difficult it is to move onto further study or rather due to lack of demand for further study in regards to Psychology?

And yeah realistically I think I'll just try my best at Econ and hopefully earn money to one day be able to return to university.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Psychology conversion Masters? Work hard to achieve a 2:1 in you current degree

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy...sion)-msc.aspx
Missxo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not sure on how your finance etc. will work as I am in Scotland and things are different, but what I will say is you will need to make the decision of doing a career you want vs. a career with financial security. This is not an easy decision to make - trust me!

I have both a BA(Hons) Psychology and a MSc in Psychology, with the long-term goal of pursuing Clinical Neuropsychology. To do this, I would need to do the Clinical Psychology doctorate which is notoriously difficult to get into - many people try year after year without even an invite to interview. I am currently working on building up my work experience for a few years before even considering applying. It is a very, very long road. However a Masters is not actually a requirement to get onto the course, as far as I am aware. I think they put emphasis on quality work experience - usually Research Assistant and Assistant Psychologist posts are extremely competitive for this reason.

However, there are various routes to go down other than clinical, there is educational psychology, health psychology, even business psychology - that may be something you might find interesting given your current course? Or you could try counselling, CBT etc. I think the important thing is identifying what population you want to work with, as psychology is very diverse.

If you feel your current course and potential career from that will lead to you being unhappy, it is better to quit while you are ahead. Your mental-wellbeing and happiness should trump any other factor. However, if you don't absolutely hate your course and don't dread the thought of pursuing a career in it, you may well decide to continue with it and pursue your interest in psychology outwith university.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
University of Surrey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Hi Itshayder,

I would recommend making an appointment to see a Careers Adviser at the Careers and Employability Centre, which is in the Philip Marchant building on campus (the same building that the Accommodation office is in). The Careers Adviser will be able to help you identify possible routes to go down to achieve your goal of becoming a clinical psychologist, or even identify other career paths that you may be interested in. You can arrange an appointment by dropping in to the Careers Service office or by calling them on 01483689001

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads