The Student Room Group

Calculating the Median from a Histogram

I'm not sure whether I'm missing something obvious, or just being stupid. I am so confused with this question, more specifically the first part.

Could someone help me, not just with the answer but the working out as well. Thank you.

Przechwytywanie.PNG
Original post by IgorFierka
I'm not sure whether I'm missing something obvious, or just being stupid. I am so confused with this question, more specifically the first part.

Could someone help me, not just with the answer but the working out as well. Thank you.

Przechwytywanie.PNG

I have never come across a question like this, is it GCSE?

If so I've never been taught how to do it so I'd be interested in an solution also. Then again it could be incompetent teaching from my school as usual aha.
Original post by IgorFierka

a) For the median, you just need to find the score such that the area of the histogram below that score equals the area of the historgram above that score.

b) Similar. Find the score such that the area below is 3/4 of the total area, or alternatively the area above is 1/4 of the total area.

You may find it helpful to work out the total area in the given units to start.
Original post by Thomas132
I have never come across a question like this, is it GCSE?

If so I've never been taught how to do it so I'd be interested in an solution also. Then again it could be incompetent teaching from my school as usual aha.

Yes it’s GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest