How and what should I revise for GCSE in Y9??

Watch
username3787036
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My mum says the news was saying that we should be studying 7hrs per day for GCSEs. But I'm in Yr9 and think that's a bit too much. How long do you suggest I take to revise and what amount of time should I take on each subject. I'm doing triple science, maths, English literature, English language, history, RE and German. And are there any methods of revising that you suggest for these subjects?? Need all the help I can get thanks
sophiaisballin97
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sian.M.A)
My mum says the news was saying that we should be studying 7hrs per day for GCSEs. But I'm in Yr9 and think that's a bit too much. How long do you suggest I take to revise and what amount of time should I take on each subject. I'm doing triple science, maths, English literature, English language, history, RE and German. And are there any methods of revising that you suggest for these subjects?? Need all the help I can get thanks
ur ma is bein silly
i did nothing until i was in year 11 and still did litty
username3888388
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't stress about revising, you have a lot of time, just read over what you did in class and do homework. Thats about it tbh.
amybyrne99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's no need to stress over it yet, as you're only in year 9. There's plenty of time left.
However, for German apps like 'quizlet' are great for revising and learning vocab. Past papers I personally find the best sources of revision as you can identify what you do and don't know. When you have identified what you need to improve on, revision guides and flashcards are great for helping you to remember the content. Also, try revising with friends; it's best to have variety of ways of revising as it allows the knowledge to be remembered easier.

Good Luck on your GCSEs, I'm sure you'll do fab.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's two years away! You don't even need to revise 7 hours a day in 5th form. It's not necessary if you do well throughout the entire course.
MillyRockMax
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your mom is buggin, I doubt you will have even started the curriculum for GCSE's and it'll be pretty unusual for you to remember what you're revising now in two years time. Yr 9 is legitimately the best year you will ever have in school. Relax
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Famm, you're in Y9, chill out, school's not going to get fun when GCSEs and A Levels come round, this is the last truly chill year.

Also that 7 hours a day is absolutely rawcus. Not only is he aiming at a completely different demographic, that being, Y11s currently grinding for the GCSEs, but is completely ungrounded. You know why? My headteacher said do 5 hours a day, the school next to us said 4, the other said 10, it all differs but it's all a bunch of rawcus.

The best thing to do, and the thing that will maximise your grades, is revising your weak areas, at a time period that felt comfortable for you, granted that was 7 hours for some, that doesn't necessarily mean that 7 hours would be good for me, or you, experiment, see what works best for you, I never did more than 3 hours and still came out with 9, 9, 8, As and A*s.

The key thing here is comfort.

If you still actually want to revise in Y9 then, perhaps try and read ahead a little for your lessons, outside of class, do some extra stuff, do quizlet or memrise or something or revisit old topics to ground yourself. I wouldn't advise reading ahead too much though, you'll just get bored in lesson and be less productive.

Good luck.
AlyssSt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly my exams are a month away and I'm not even revising 7 hrs a day. I mean don't get me wrong that's really bad and I'm a horrible example but you're not gonna remember anything you study if you're two years away from GCSEs. I would really just enjoy my last non-exam year.
TODTEMPLE01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
please don't worry about revision too much for at least another year and a half. year 9/start of y10 is for enjoying. honestly, 7hrs per day even at the end of year 11 is a bit excessive. Id say atm, don't worry about revising apart from for end of unit tests/mocks etc. I'm in y12 and managed to do pretty well in GCSEs starting my revision just before Easter of y11 so please don't worry too much. hope this helps 😀
Alevelsxxsxx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
make notes for triple science and learn french vocab from quizlet
Gent2324
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
dude we all asked the same question in year 9 and we all regret actually revising whatsoever, i cant even remember what i had for breakfast this morning let alone revision from 2 years ago
Koalifications
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did hardly anything in Year 9 revision-wise, just revise for unit tests but don't stress about GCSEs.
leahnj
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
really dont worry about gcses, just the mini tests you get
Know Your Enemy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wait until next year to start revising. No need to revise for GCSEs in Year 9...
Mehru1214
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Agree with everyone here, honestly your mum's not thinking this through. I'm Year 11 here. Only if you want to, do like 2 hours a day Y9, 4 hours Y10, then do loads in Y11. Or, just enjoy life for now mate! All I'd say is to practise your language. memrise.com is BRILLIANT for it. Also, practice maths every once in a while so it doesn't go rusty, as it's also worth 20-30% of your science GCSEs.
Harry-Pikesley
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are doing Edexcel Triple Science, you might want to make a few notes on what you study this year, as it will be assessed in GCSE (if you do it the same as my school) - topics including types of cells and forms of movement (diffusion, osmosis, etc).

Other than that, don't worry about revision!
YouAreAYute
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
please please do nothing looooll that 7 hours is for year 11’s and even then, that’s excessive
sherlockfanatic
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

that 7hrs thing is for actual GCSE students plus it's total bs.
No one in their right mind can revise for that long.
Right now just revise for your tests a couple days before and make sure you understand everything- I can't remember anything from year 9!
No point stressing in year 9- you will come to realise that GCSEs are not very important anyway, not even top unis like Cambridge take them into account! e.g. Ibz Mo- Youtube. Check him out.
Henlover101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly I’m in yr 9 too I think you should start studying like 20 mins a day or even less set a time and place each day to sit down maybe go through notes or something ONLY to set a habit many people leave it like last minute and some fail cos of that but some start studying super early which also no need for that so set a time every day when your productive in a silent place preferably and sit down for 20mins or less JUST for habit
aaliyahxo1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hi i think u should revise 2 hours eveyday becouse its better not to do 7 hrs one day then leave it the next day but 2 hrs eveyday is consitant and good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.39%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.01%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads