The Student Room Group

17, career opportunity clashing with boyfriend

Ok so I'm 17 and I'm currently studying aircraft engineering but I've recently gotten a massive opportunity to do an apprenticeship with Virgin Atlantic Airways. I am due to go over to England (I live in Northern Ireland) on 17th April, which is only a week away, to do the "assessment day and interview". I'm unbelievably nervous for it but also very exciting. Only problem is that if I got it I would be moving to England in September and I'm worried about my relationship. I love my boyfriend, I really do, and we haven't been together all that long (less than a year) and I really don't want to lose him. Almost to the point where I have considered turning down the apprenticeship if I got it because I don't want to ruin what we have. He knows about all of this and he has told me that if I do get into the apprenticeship I should take it, but what is me living in England going to do to our relationship? My friends and family have all said to never stop your career for a boy, and they're 100% correct but I just don't know what to do. It scares me to think about it, I could cry. I know it's stupid and "teenage love doesn't last forever" but I just really need someone to tell me what to do! Of course this is all on the basis of whether or not I get accepted but I am well and truly torn between this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
It’s a difficult decision but at the end of the day opportunities like that are hard to come by whereas there are literally billions of boys on the planet. Definitely go with career especially as you’ve not been together long.
It will be difficult, but strong love can last- maybe if you visit eachother often enough it would be ok or he could consider moving to England too?
Remember that everything happens for a reason
Good luck with it xx
U could always ask him to come along maybe he can go to school there.. or try the long distance thing where he comes and visits and u go visit ...but don’t turn it down because of a boy.. this is ur future he might not be and if he is you guys will figure out a way ...
(edited 6 years ago)
This is a really great opportunity! If you want to make the effort to keep the relationship going while you're living in England then don't let the distance stop you. I knew a few people at university whose relationships worked out despite 4 years of distance separation. They still talked/texted each other every day, and spent holidays with each other (All of them took industrial placements between the 2nd and final years too, so only their first years included a long summer holiday). It can work if you both really want it to. Don't feel like you're choosing between two options, take both options and make it work.

At the very least, don't put yourself in the position where you could end up with the worst-case scenario; imagine how you'd feel if you turned down this opportunity which could change your entire life if you're offered it, and then in 6 months time you and your boyfriend lose interest in each other.

Depending on his future plans, If he wants it to work as much as you do, maybe he could look at finding a job/apprenticeship/HE course somewhere near you? That's up to him obviously, but it's not unrealistic unless there's something else preventing him from being able to move closer to you eventually.

Lastly, don't think of distance as necessarily being all bad. It puts a strain on a relationship and forces you to work at it if you want it to be successful; the upside for any relationship which survives several years like that is a much higher chance of working out long term too. It will be a case of make-or-break, but if you want to be happy in your life, you have to take risks and you have to work relentlessly hard at getting what you want.

Good luck with both things! :smile:
Long distance relationship work. He can visit you or you can visit him. Also you have social media to talk to him. Defo go for that aircraft opportunity but also keep in touch with him.
Reply 5
Hi did you get the job at virgin Atlantic?
Reply 6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending