Non Buddhists, what do you think of Buddhism as a religion?

Watch
Shibu the Doge
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What are your thoughts on Buddhism?
Yakib
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buddhism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy. Also Buddhism doesn't have a deity, so again, not a religion.
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yakib)
Buddhism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy. Also Buddhism doesn't have a deity, so again, not a religion.
They do belive in god.
Yakib
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Revision Boiii)
They do belive in god.
Some do worship the Buddha but Buddhism itself doesn't entail that, the Buddha isn't a deity. The ones that do worship the Buddha aren't following it properly.
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yakib)
Some do worship the Buddha but Buddhism itself doesn't entail that, the Buddha isn't a deity. The ones that do worship the Buddha aren't following it properly.
Buddhists worship Buddha but not as a deity. Buddhists belive that God’s exists and there are stories about them in the Buddhist holy book
Yakib
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buddhists worship Buddha but not as a deity. Buddhists belive that God’s exists and there are stories about them in the Buddhist holy book
That just proves my point, the Buddha isn't a deity, more like a guide which means that Buddhism isn't a religion.
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yakib)
That just proves my point, the Buddha isn't a deity, more like a guide which means that Buddhism isn't a religion.
From one viewpoint, Buddhism is a religion. From another viewpoint, buddishm is a sciecne of mind and not a religion. Buddishm can be a bridge between these two sides
Yakib
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From one viewpoint, Buddhism is a religion. From another viewpoint, buddishm is a sciecne of mind and not a religion. Buddishm can be a bridge between these two sides
It's more of a philosophy than a religion though.
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yakib)
It's more of a philosophy than a religion though.
It’s both
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are both right and both wrong. Buddhism is a religion because it teaches a soteriology (salvation) that is based on faith (namely in the three jewels). It's a different type of religion to those with which we are most familiar in the West, but it is a religion nevertheless. All religion involves philosophy but philosophy does not need to involve religiosity. It is that simple. There is no creator deity, no all powerful entity. Devas (gods) are usually not taken literally and if they are, they are subject to karma and rebirth - you could be reborn in a god realm and then be reborn elsewhere again once your karma is exhausted.
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
You are both right and both wrong. Buddhism is a religion because it teaches a soteriology (salvation) that is based on faith (namely in the three jewels). It's a different type of religion to those with which we are most familiar in the West, but it is a religion nevertheless. All religion involves philosophy but philosophy does not need to involve religiosity. It is that simple. There is no creator deity, no all powerful entity. Devas (gods) are usually not taken literally and if they are, they are subject to karma and rebirth - you could be reborn in a god realm and then be reborn elsewhere again once your karma is exhausted.
Yes! You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! :jumphug:

Are you a Buddhist?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes! You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! :jumphug:

Are you a Buddhist?
Not big on 'ists' but I suppose you might say that. I'm big on Madhyamaka.

My thing is Indian philosophy, I'm writing my PhD thesis on the discernible differences between Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta :-)
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Not big on 'ists' but I suppose you might say that. I'm big on Madhyamaka.

My thing is Indian philosophy, I'm writing my PhD thesis on the discernible differences between Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta :-)
:0 PhD!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (27)
48.21%
No, they should still go ahead (12)
21.43%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (17)
30.36%

Watched Threads