The Student Room Group

Would you raise your children gender neutral ?

This is the discussion being had next to me between some guys at curry lounge...

What do you guys think ?

I think i will raise my kid whatever gender he assigned by birth, until he/she gives me further evidence to recognize other avenues they independently CHOOSE to explore.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
No.
Reply 3
No.
Son 1: Goes to Eton College (Become gentleman)
Son 2: Goes to Harrow School (Become gentleman)
Daughter : Goes to Westminster. (Becomes Lady)

They can explore there, good bye responsibility.
No.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
This is the discussion being had next to me between some guys at curry lounge...

What do you guys think ?

I think i will raise my kid whatever gender he assigned by birth, until he/she gives me further evidence to recognize other avenues they independently CHOOSE to explore.

No.
Well this seems a bit one sided.
Original post by Andrew97
Well this seems a bit one sided.

Slightly so far
No god please no. NO. NOOOOO. NOOOOOOOO NOOO
Reply 10
i really can't think of any reasons why you would...
I'm not going to refer to them as gender neutral but essentially yeah I will raise them like that. I'm not just going to automatically give the girls pink bedrooms and dolls and the boys blue bedrooms and footballs. If my daughter wants to play football and my son wants to do ballet then so be it. That's how I was brought up.
Jesus Bloody Christ No.
Original post by MikeyA
i really can't think of any reasons why you would...

arguments could be made that you shouldnt force or define them by gender... so they can pick their sexuality without influence lol.
This is what my computer science teacher did. He's really hot and muscly, but I think he's socially awkward; the way he speaks is just awful

Anyways, it was one of the rare times he actually spoke, and spoke about his life which was quite shocking, and it turns out he adopted a daughter and tried to raise her gender neutral; plain clothes, no tv (I think they had free view but his kid spent more time drawing), probably just YouTube egg opening videos as all kids watch. However eventually she began to do "stereotypical" girly things (such as playing that Stacey hand clap game and skipping-yes, they still exist I didn't even know! I wonder if the kids nowadays know what hopscotch is....)

Anyways he came to the conclusion that it was probably influence from TV, other girls and society as a whole. One thing to note that at the time I didn't realise how ****ed up it was experimenting on an adopted daughter like that but whatever. Wow anyways, personally no; I'd let my daughter embrace whatever Gender she wants to, let her be swayed by whatever appeals to her. However if dressing up with pink clothes and playing in the dolls house doesn't appeal to her, and say idk she wants to play football or wrestling, i'd let her do hat she wants. I will neither force her to wear pink clothes nor will I force her to wear neutral clothes. Whatever my princess wants :love: .Let her embrace her gender, her sexuality and her feelings, because who am I to dictate the life of a possible (and definitely awesome as i'm the handsome father:u:) future star.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Should children really be able to make such an important decision? (U18)
Yes, green jumpsuits until they are 16.
i won’t but if my child ever tells me that they don’t feel like a girl/boy i’ll obviously be there for them
Nope.
NO. Id raise them to their traditonal gender roles. If they later come out as gay and are at an appropriate age (e.g. above 16-18) then i would be fine with them exhibiting a sexualtiy which isnt considered traditional (e.g. homosexuality).

Quick Reply