Aleshadavis2611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I’m failing English language (grade 3) I need a grade 4 for sixth form. Grade boundaries are going up around 90 marks for a grade 4. I can’t sit and mope around so can anyone give me tips for English language revision? (I watched all of Mr Bruffs) do you think doing past exam questions frequently will help me get used to it also for Q5 how do people think of good/interesting stories on the spot? Like what if it’s a really bland picture and you can’t think of ANYTHING. Very grateful to whoever reply’s x (really don’t wanna retake and go to college)
UnknownSophie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I totally understand how you feel.

I'm currently a year 12 student studying English Literature.

Just like you, I was failing English language horribly, my highest ever in a mock was a 4 and that wasn't until my last one. I felt so demotivated that I didn't even bother rising for my real one (but don't do that.) In the end, I received a grade 8.

My advice is that you practice, practice and more practice. Have beside you an example essay as guidance for the structure. Do practice essays and hand them to teachers or other peers that you know are doing well. Once you're more confident, have a go at one without the example and do it timed. Make sure you know what structures you'll need for each essay question e.g. PETAL, PETA ETA ETA, SISTER, A FOREST, PENCIL.

In the real exam, mark down the time in which you should finish each question, ensures you have time for all of them. Start from Q5 then Q4 - basically from highest mark to lowest.

For Q5, I used the picture. Remember is it a DESCRIPTIVE piece of writing. Split the image into sections, that gives you different parts to write about in detail. Think about your senses, use of adjectives, colours, tricolons and etc. Remember the different techniques you could use.

I really do hope you do well in your English exam. Don't stress too much and remember to plan, I honestly recommend planning.

Good luck!
Aleshadavis2611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by UnknownSophie)

Just like you, I was failing English language horribly, my highest ever in a mock was a 4 and that wasn't until my last one. I felt so demotivated that I didn't even bother rising for my real one (but don't do that.) In the end, I received a grade 8.

My advice is that you practice, practice and more practice. Have beside you an example essay as guidance for the structure. Do practice essays and hand them to teachers or other peers that you know are doing well. Once you're more confident, have a go at one without the example and do it timed. Make sure you know what structures you'll need for each essay question e.g. PETAL, PETA ETA ETA, SISTER, A FOREST, PENCIL.

In the real exam, mark down the time in which you should finish each question, ensures you have time for all of them. Start from Q5 then Q4 - basically from highest mark to lowest.

For Q5, I used the picture. Remember is it a DESCRIPTIVE piece of writing. Split the image into sections, that gives you different parts to write about in detail. Think about your senses, use of adjectives, colours, tricolons and etc. Remember the different techniques you could use.

I really do hope you do well in your English exam. Don't stress too much and remember to plan, I honestly recommend planning.

Good luck!
Wow it is so motivating to see you go up 4 grades!!!!! Now that is not easy, I’ve been doing practice for Question 5 paper 1 for possible similar scenarios that could come up etc fear/terror I’ve got a short story for that. ( I’m better at narrative as I run out on what to write for descriptive) and I’m gonna practice doing certain questions in papers e.g question 4 in paper 2 as I get like (6/16) and paper 1 question 2 As I get around like (2/8) do you have any tips for how you improved for like q2 q3 q4 or was it merely just practice questions? And for Q5 paper 2 how on earth do you plan for that??? What if the question is so complicated like “should families have formal dinners” like what am I supposed to write about that for 40 marks!!! Thank u for replying tho xx
UnknownSophie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aleshadavis2611)
Wow it is so motivating to see you go up 4 grades!!!!! Now that is not easy, I’ve been doing practice for Question 5 paper 1 for possible similar scenarios that could come up etc fear/terror I’ve got a short story for that. ( I’m better at narrative as I run out on what to write for descriptive) and I’m gonna practice doing certain questions in papers e.g question 4 in paper 2 as I get like (6/16) and paper 1 question 2 As I get around like (2/8) do you have any tips for how you improved for like q2 q3 q4 or was it merely just practice questions? And for Q5 paper 2 how on earth do you plan for that??? What if the question is so complicated like “should families have formal dinners” like what am I supposed to write about that for 40 marks!!! Thank u for replying tho xx
Q5 is actually a lot simpler than people make it. Planning is really just making up points. Structurally you should start with an intro: vaguely stating your points. Usually, the question will want you to agree with it. Your next paragraph should be concise with all the possible points that could go against your argument. The rest of your answer should be counter-arguments. They are really just looking for techniques, so use as many as you can, and don't forget about structure i.e. one-word sentences and paragraphs.

For the rest of the questions, it's important that you know how to detect different literary and structural techniques. They are asking "how does this make you feel?" because technically you're the reader.

I have found a great resource for you (I used this too) http://www.ktemplar.herts.sch.uk/Lea...sion_Guide.pdf

The main thing is that you go into the exam knowing exactly how to answer each question. The question may be worded oddly but it will always ask you the same thing.
chloesky2018
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UnknownSophie)

Good luck!
how did you go from a 4 to an 8😭😭😭
that.one.student
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aleshadavis2611)
So I’m failing English language (grade 3) I need a grade 4 for sixth form. Grade boundaries are going up around 90 marks for a grade 4. I can’t sit and mope around so can anyone give me tips for English language revision? (I watched all of Mr Bruffs) do you think doing past exam questions frequently will help me get used to it also for Q5 how do people think of good/interesting stories on the spot? Like what if it’s a really bland picture and you can’t think of ANYTHING. Very grateful to whoever reply’s x (really don’t wanna retake and go to college)
Practice identifying language devices, start studying different techniques and types of structures writers use for those 8 markers. identify powerful, emotive, imagery and how writers use them to convey meaning. The website: literary devices gives you loads of different language devices writes use and example of them. E.g. Shakespeare's use of a hyperbole suggests the murder of Duncan is taking its toll on Macbeth's conscience. (think of a better way to word this though) a hyperbole is when a writer over exaggerates a statement to make it more noticeable and stuff.

For the creative writing part, read a few short stories to get an idea and learn loads of descriptive vocabulary e.g. instead of saying 'happy' you could say: elated or jubilant. Vary your sentence length for tension and stuff. Have a climax and resolution in your story. Know what broadsheets, tabloids and stuff are because they might ask you to perhaps write an article therefore you will need to have a heading and subheading. YES find a random picture and make a story out of it. To help with making a story do THIS:

LOOK at the picture. Ask yourself who is this, what is their story, what are they doing, where are they going, why are they doing that, how did they get there (this is a great way to use a flashback (which is another device))
These questions will help you make up a story, like a picture of someone staring out of a bus will make you think what are they thinking of, where they going, are they going to see anyone etc. then think of a problem and so.
You are doing gcse right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (401)
56.32%
I don't have everything I need (311)
43.68%

Watched Threads