Thinking of quitting new job after 2 days Watch

HePPS
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I recently got a new job as a waitor at a local pub, but I feel like quitting after two days of work.

When I applied, I thought I was simply going to be a waitor (carry plates and drinks, take orders etc.), but I also have to wash up, lay tables, and generally take care of the place. Whether thats me being unaware or the employers fault, I don't know.

I work Thursdays (6pm-9pm) and Sundays (10:30am-4pm). My first day (Thursday) was fine. There was no food being served as there were no customers (except those ordering drinks at the bar). It was just washing up and general housekeeping, and I thought this was because there was no need to serve. Sunday rolls around, and it was pretty bad, at least from my point of view. The pub was very busy, and I was constantly on my feet serving, which at face value is expected. However, I shortly found out that I'm an awkward mess when serving. I don't think I have the charisma to be good at this job. I also had to generally take care of the place again, which was unexpected as I said earlier. The stress of the job was very bad, and I felt constantly under attack by the needs of most of my co workers. This makes me feel anxious whenever I'm at home, and it's beginning to take me over. I'm not sure I could bare another day, but I'm not sure if I'm overreacting.

I probably should've mentioned this earlier on, but I'm 15 and this is my first ever job. I started because I wanted experience and some extra money.

The boss is also very toxic during working hours, but quite nice when work is over. I was also getting constantly scalded in quite an unforgiving way for things I was unware of doing / forgetting to do. I had no training from the boss / older employees, I had to be told what to do from my younger co worker.

There's also the future possibility that it will get in the way of my education, as I'm doing further maths and triple science, which requires extra time for homework, revision, etc.

I don't know if I'm being too hasty in this situation or if I'm just not right for the job (which I feel)

Thanks for reading, any advice or feedback will be appreciated
Lily048
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HePPS)
I recently got a new job as a waitor at a local pub, but I feel like quitting after two days of work.

When I applied, I thought I was simply going to be a waitor (carry plates and drinks, take orders etc.), but I also have to wash up, lay tables, and generally take care of the place. Whether thats me being unaware or the employers fault, I don't know.

I work Thursdays (6pm-9pm) and Sundays (10:30am-4pm). My first day (Thursday) was fine. There was no food being served as there were no customers (except those ordering drinks at the bar). It was just washing up and general housekeeping, and I thought this was because there was no need to serve. Sunday rolls around, and it was pretty bad, at least from my point of view. The pub was very busy, and I was constantly on my feet serving, which at face value is expected. However, I shortly found out that I'm an awkward mess when serving. I don't think I have the charisma to be good at this job. I also had to generally take care of the place again, which was unexpected as I said earlier. The stress of the job was very bad, and I felt constantly under attack by the needs of most of my co workers. This makes me feel anxious whenever I'm at home, and it's beginning to take me over. I'm not sure I could bare another day, but I'm not sure if I'm overreacting.

I probably should've mentioned this earlier on, but I'm 15 and this is my first ever job. I started because I wanted experience and some extra money.

The boss is also very toxic during working hours, but quite nice when work is over. I was also getting constantly scalded in quite an unforgiving way for things I was unware of doing / forgetting to do. I had no training from the boss / older employees, I had to be told what to do from my younger co worker.

There's also the future possibility that it will get in the way of my education, as I'm doing further maths and triple science, which requires extra time for homework, revision, etc.

I don't know if I'm being too hasty in this situation or if I'm just not right for the job (which I feel)

Thanks for reading, any advice or feedback will be appreciated
I feel for you, I had a similar experience waitressing and I hated it! No formal training, often left to do the horrid jobs, late working hours, getting told off for things when I had no training, feeling undermined by other staff. It ultimately put me off ever waitressing again, haven’t done it since!
It’s a hard job with no formal training and being so young I’m surprised they employed you tbh and have let you continue like this.
I’d say leave, it’ll only make you more unhappy and stressed alongside school work, especially with exams coming up. Likelihood is that retail weekend jobs will suit you more (as they did me). Experience is not crucial at your age, although useful.

But you have plenty of time to do such things during the summer/less stressful periods. Don’t run yourself into the ground because you honestly can’t please anyone in hospitality!
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hate how so many managers/supervisors are too lazy to train new staff, or even get a more experienced staff member to guide a new starter. Unfortunately jobs like waiting are very much picking things up as you go along, it's a fairly simple job but can get very stressful during busy periods.

Who did you think washes up and lays the tables?
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
I did waitering and hated it but I done batendering while doing the same job and liked it. I also had two managers telling me two different things. I would just leave, you don't need to put it down on your CV but it could be handy. You could stick at it for a week and see if it gets better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.78%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (236)
28.33%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise