The Student Room Group

My parents won't let me seek therapy

Let me cut to the chase: I'm Danielle (fake name for privacy), almost 15 and pretty sure there's something wrong with me.
I know it's no good to self-diagnose, but I have been doing thorough research for months and I've concluded that there may be a tick or two in my mind. All my life I've suffered from:
•Excessive daydreaming, anywhere anytime, to the point at which my grades are suffering
•Near constant paranoia
•Countless (and I mean COUNTLESS) vivid visual and auditory hallucinations throughout the day.
•Delusions, or at least that's what the people around me say they are
•Fantasies during my daydreams which frequently blend in with reality, some of which have cost me friendships
•Imaginary friends that never seen to shut up or go away
•Impulsive and aggressive behaviour that other students my age rarely if ever get

The list goes on. And on. And on.

I don't think this behaviour is a phase since I've been experiencing it day in day out my entire life, but apparently that's what my parents call it; a "phase". My hormones playing tricks in me. Me being "silly". Me "wanting attention". Basically they make up any excuse just so the fact that my behaviour isn't normal doesn't get to them. I've told them about my paranoia, insisted that they let me see a doctor, they've seen the drop in my school grades. They ignore it all. They say if I don't "sort myself out" by summer term I'm getting sent to a camp. I've tried so hard to "sort myself out" and nothing works.

I'm not sure what I should do. Do any of you have suggestions?
Reply 1
Hi Danielle, it does sound like you are suffering from some form of mental health condition ranging from depression to schizophrenia. Don't start worrying just yet as i'm not a qualified doctor, but I do have a good amount of knowledge on mental health conditions.
Is there any other guardian such as a grandparent, aunt/uncle that you can place trust in to set up an appointment with a GP without telling your parents?
I think you could benefit from some Cognitive behavioural Therapy sessions. They'll help you to understand what you are experiencing and finds ways to concentrate more to better your grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Plxton
Is there any other guardian such as a grandparent, aunt/uncle that you can place trust in to set up an appointment with a GP without telling your parents?

Not one. I don't know my whole family and I'm not exactly "close" enough y relatives that I do know. Plus, my family is very Christian. If I told them I have hallucinations, they'd shun me out of the fear that I was seeing demons.
Reply 3
Original post by Lilac Jay
Not one. I don't know my whole family and I'm not exactly "close" enough y relatives that I do know. Plus, my family is very Christian. If I told them I have hallucinations, they'd shun me out of the fear that I was seeing demons.

I can only suggest then that you speak with your schools guidance team and your tutor into setting up a GP visit with a member(s) of staff that you trust during school hours. It is the schools duty to ensure your health is in the best condition it can be. They can even arrange for a doctor to come and visit you within the school hours on site to have an appointment made in which you explain your symptoms. All of this of course will be confidential, the school/doctor only has a duty to inform your guardians if they feel you are a threat to yourself or if something is a threat to you as you are under 18.
Original post by Lilac Jay

If you're in the UK once you're 16 I'm pretty sure you don't need your parents consent to make an appointment with a GP yourself.

Who would then refer you if they thought necessary- probably most likely to a CBT service as psych evals are extremely hard to make happen if you're under the age of 18.

Ik that's prob not much help as idk how far you are from being 16 but yeah, best of luck :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd strongly advise you inform someone at school, who will be able to inform the school safeguarding officer if you don't want to go to them directly. Things like delusions and hallucinations can be symptoms of some pretty serious mental health conditions, and your parents denying you access to medical care actually falls under neglect. You school has a duty of care to you and should be able to help you, though I'm not sure if they will inform your parents or not. They might be able to offer mental health support depending on the services available within your school, or they might be able to support you getting a referral to things like CAMHS.

I'm pretty sure you can actually make a doctor's appointment at 15 and go alone. Some doctors may be reluctant to treat you/prescribe medication without parental permission, however there's nothing stopping you from trying. I think it falls under something called Gillick Competence, which judges if a child under 16 is mature enough to consent to their own medical treatment and fully understand the implications. If a doctor would treat you, the only time they would then breach confidentiality is if you were a danger to yourself or someone else, or if there was a safeguarding issue.

Good luck, OP. I hope you're okay.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest