The Student Room Group

Japanese Studies- with Spanish or not?

Hi everyone, could do with a little help!
I have accepted Japanese Studies at The University of Sheffield and am pretty sure I'll manage the grade requirements just fine :smile:
I originally planned to do Japanese Studies and then do the JET programme, my dreams: to travel, to become a polyglot (Japanese my starting point).
Recently, I became inspired by 'Hasta Alaska' in YouTube, where a man travels throughtout South America. I then set this as my plan perhaps after JET and perhaps after acquiring Japanese citizenship (if it all works out). This long term aim, to an extent, asks for a level of Spanish- a language I have always considered to be one that I'll learn to achieve my polyglot dreams.
Therefore, my question is... Do I, if I am allowed, ask the University of Sheffield if I can change from Japanese Studies to Japanese Studies with Spanish (this has the same entry requirements). I have never studied a language to fluency before, and don't actually have language qualifications other than HSK1&2 Chinese, but I do know a lot of Polish vocabulary- not grammar though lol.
I am just wondering, would this choice be risky? Would it be worth it? Is it better than just Japanese Studies? Which should I go for? I'm happy with each, but Japanese history modules do worry me as I've never done anything like it :redface:
The conflict within me is: I LOVE Japan, but I LOVE travelling and languages :redface:
Thank you for reading and I hope you can give me your ideas!! :smile:
Original post by Jalaska
Hi everyone, could do with a little help!
I have accepted Japanese Studies at The University of Sheffield and am pretty sure I'll manage the grade requirements just fine :smile:
I originally planned to do Japanese Studies and then do the JET programme, my dreams: to travel, to become a polyglot (Japanese my starting point).
Recently, I became inspired by 'Hasta Alaska' in YouTube, where a man travels throughtout South America. I then set this as my plan perhaps after JET and perhaps after acquiring Japanese citizenship (if it all works out). This long term aim, to an extent, asks for a level of Spanish- a language I have always considered to be one that I'll learn to achieve my polyglot dreams.
Therefore, my question is... Do I, if I am allowed, ask the University of Sheffield if I can change from Japanese Studies to Japanese Studies with Spanish (this has the same entry requirements). I have never studied a language to fluency before, and don't actually have language qualifications other than HSK1&2 Chinese, but I do know a lot of Polish vocabulary- not grammar though lol.
I am just wondering, would this choice be risky? Would it be worth it? Is it better than just Japanese Studies? Which should I go for? I'm happy with each, but Japanese history modules do worry me as I've never done anything like it :redface:
The conflict within me is: I LOVE Japan, but I LOVE travelling and languages :redface:
Thank you for reading and I hope you can give me your ideas!! :smile:

I think it would be a mistake to take two beginners languages, especially if one of them is as difficult as Japanese. It sounds as though your passion is Japanese, so my advice would be to focus on that for your degree - you can always pick up Spanish in your free time at the uni language centre.
Reply 2
Hi Snufkin,
Thanks for your opinion, the language centre is a good idea, I'll give it a shot once I'm in :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending