The Student Room Group

Pensioner who killed intruder forced into hiding

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexanderHam
I'm not going to make jokes about your Mum because I don't even know the man

:five:
Original post by Andrew97
It’s upsetting really. How a thread about how a man is being threatened for defending himself, in which we are praising him has turned into this thanks to a couple of sad trolls. What has TSR become, get a grip. You know who I’m referring to.

Indeed. Oxygen of attention and all that, I'm not going to engage with him anymore
Original post by the bear
:five:

piss off you virgin
your dad pimps you out for old men at his pub
Original post by respekwomen2k18
piss off you virgin

cushty
I think the Daily Fail is really trying to create drama where there was none. And of course most of the comments from their readers lack empathy. The family of the victim should be allowed to keep the shrine up.
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
I think the Daily Fail is really trying to create drama where there was none. And of course most of the comments from their readers lack empathy. The family of the victim should be allowed to keep the shrine up.

It’s been in several papers and outlets other than the Mail. As I said earlier, they can have a shrine. But not outside the house he tried to rob, while threatening the man who defended himself. That’s the problem, not the shrine itself.

I do however take issue with you referring to the burglar as a victim. He’s not. He made a decision to break into a house in the middle of the night with a deadly weapon, he paid the ultimate price.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Axiomasher
What do people look for when they burgle these days, now that tellies are usually far too big to hoof down the street with?

Probably assume that retired people have Jewellery, cash in biscuit tins etc.

Burgling houses is a crime in decline - most of the consumer electronic you can get into your car boot isn't worth much these days. VCR's and CD players were popular with thieves back in the day, before they were wide tellies were deep and heavy.
It’s been in several papers and outlets other than the Mail. As I said earlier, they can have a shrine. But not outside the house he tried to rob, while threatening the man who defended himself. That’s the problem, not the shrine itself

The pensioner is no longer there so what's the harm? He killed someone he should be locked up. He should be prosecuted for using undue force which is illegal in this country. At the end of the day someone died and regardless of what he did he left behind a grieving family who should be allowed to express their sorrow by placing flowers at the location his life was taken away.
The pensioner is longer there so what's the harm? He killed someone he should be locked up. He should be prosecuted for using undue force which is illegal in this country.

He was forced into the corner by a thug in his house in the middle of the night with a screwdriver. It’s self defence, which is allowed in UK law.
That’s the problem, he should be allowed to return to his own home without threat of violence.
He was forced into the corner by a thug in his house in the middle of the night with a screwdriver. It’s self defence, which is allowed in UK law.
That’s the problem, he should be allowed to return to his own home without threat of violence.

These flowers aren't for the dead burglar, for goodness sake. He's dead. They're for those that knew him, who apparently miss him. They're expressing their grief. I know that's a hard one for many to get their heads around, but even people who know or even are criminals have a sense of loss when they lose someone - no matter how they lose them. And for reasons I don't quite get, these days people place things at the site where people died.
These flowers aren't for the dead burglar, for goodness sake. He's dead. They're for those that knew him, who apparently miss him. They're expressing their grief. I know that's a hard one for many to get their heads around, but even people who know or even are criminals have a sense of loss when they lose someone - no matter how they lose them. And for reasons I don't quite get, these days people place things at the site where people died.

I clearly stated I had no problem with them having a shrine. My issue is that they chose to put it outside the pensioner’s home (do you not see why this is an issue) while threatening that pensioner with violence and calling him a lowlife. (See the ITV) article.
I clearly stated I had no problem with them having a shrine. My issue is that they chose to put it outside the pensioner’s home (do you not see why this is an issue) while threatening that pensioner with violence and calling him a lowlife. (See the ITV) article.

Appropriate place? Look, as I've said, I'm not a fan of these sorts of things, but they generally form around where the person died and so, like it or not, it is in the appropriate place for what it is. Personally, I don't think they should be allowed at all, as they're always depressing, always come across as 'rubbing it' in my face (and I'm just a pedestrian - but I have my own grief to deal with thanks), and always end up as litter. I'm all for banning such things in general. It's grief expressed via littering. "This is purely an intimidation tactic." No it isn't, as obviously such things arise all the time when someone is killed. Maybe some people added their items as an act of intimidation - but you can't for certain say that the entire exercise wasn't at all to do with grief and was all to do with intimidation. A lot of people don't seem to understand that criminals and their loved-ones are people, and not just one-dimensional monsters.
Reply 93

We already have a thread for this by the way, set up by @Napp. Might wanna merge them.

On it, thanks :smile:
The memorial has been put back up a forth time. When we these people understand that the neighbours don’t want the shrine there?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 95
The memorial has been put back up a forth time. When we these people understand that the neighbours don’t want the shrine there?

I’ll give them props for the dedication to upsetting the street, if nothing else.
No good vultures.
Appropriate place? Look, as I've said, I'm not a fan of these sorts of things, but they generally form around where the person died and so, like it or not, it is in the appropriate place for what it is. Personally, I don't think they should be allowed at all, as they're always depressing, always come across as 'rubbing it' in my face (and I'm just a pedestrian - but I have my own grief to deal with thanks), and always end up as litter. I'm all for banning such things in general. It's grief expressed via littering. "This is purely an intimidation tactic." No it isn't, as obviously such things arise all the time when someone is killed. Maybe some people added their items as an act of intimidation - but you can't for certain say that the entire exercise wasn't at all to do with grief and was all to do with intimidation. A lot of people don't seem to understand that criminals and their loved-ones are people, and not just one-dimensional monsters.

I’ve had another read of the whole story. The burglar did not die in the house, he collapsed around the corner and died in hospital a couple of hours later. So there’s no reason for the shrine to be outside the house.
as some background to this horrible incident:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/voices/history_intro.shtml

Kent has attracted the travelling community for many years due to its need for itinerant hop pickers etc.

Unfortunately the modest wages of hop-picking does not really allow someone to sustain a heavy drug habit, so Mr Vincent turned to more lucrative sources of income.
Was listening to Ian Collins last night on LBC. Two callers said the old man should arrested for killing the burglar. Just no.
Reply 99
Original post by the bear
as some background to this horrible incident:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/voices/history_intro.shtml

Kent has attracted the travelling community for many years due to its need for itinerant hop pickers etc.

Unfortunately the modest wages of hop-picking does not really allow someone to sustain a heavy drug habit, so Mr Vincent turned to more lucrative sources of income.

Indeed, I used to have a heard of them live near my old digs when I was resident in the UK. There's a good reason they havesuch a bad reputation - the thieving *******s stole everything that wasnt nailed down... and when they robbed enough builders they began stealing everything that was nailed down as well!
The ****ers even stole my friends Goose he refused to sell to them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending