The Student Room Group

English Language (9093) AS Levels help! Commentary Writing

Hi everyone! I'm currently taking AS Level English Language (9093) and I'm currently struggling with writing a commentary. Can anyone please give me some tips on how you usually answer a commentary question where it asks you to question on the "style" and "language"? It would be greatly appreciated! Also, I have a few commentaries written. If anyone would like to help me check, that would be greatly appreciated as well!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hi , everyone can anybody give me tips for writing commentary I will be appearing for paper in oct/nov series ????
Is this the one which you have a style model of an article or something similar and then you must write your own in a similar style and then write about it??
Original post by HSennett
Is this the one which you have a style model of an article or something similar and then you must write your own in a similar style and then write about it??

yes you'll need to comment on the "style and language" and then write a shorter passage (120-150 words) relating to the provided text according to the question.
Exams are hardly a month away, and I need some guidance for writing commentaries. Can someone give some tips or link any useful resources?
okay im in the same position as u so i get it. download the pdf for english.language as and a level by mike gould and marilyn rankin. it has info on what u need to know - language features and how to write a commentry , use it as refrence. also check out some youtube videos on annotation and commentry.
it would be helpful if u make a prompt sheet (its notes of sentences u can refer and copy from other commentries to construct your own) like a list of them ; if in a commentry someone uses the sentence "this creates a sense of" or "this evokes a sense of' u write these down and make ur own notes on what sentence or phrase can u use . try learning 5 new words everyday that can be used instead of any mainstream ones such as for love u say admire, adore etc,
:afro:
Original post by fatimass19
Exams are hardly a month away, and I need some guidance for writing commentaries. Can someone give some tips or link any useful resources?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6FxPidTcfw on PQE .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mW

AS English Language: Paper 1: commentary

Mark Dusart

there r so many sources on youtube but u need to practice pp daily
Original post by trash.soru
okay im in the same position as u so i get it. download the pdf for english.language as and a level by mike gould and marilyn rankin. it has info on what u need to know - language features and how to write a commentry , use it as refrence. also check out some youtube videos on annotation and commentry.
it would be helpful if u make a prompt sheet (its notes of sentences u can refer and copy from other commentries to construct your own) like a list of them ; if in a commentry someone uses the sentence "this creates a sense of" or "this evokes a sense of' u write these down and make ur own notes on what sentence or phrase can u use . try learning 5 new words everyday that can be used instead of any mainstream ones such as for love u say admire, adore etc,
:afro:

thanks! I was already studying from that book and have completed the as level section of it. That sounds like a useful tips, I'll try it out! Although the paper is only tomorrow so I don't have much time left!
Reply 9
How was the paper?? What was the topic about?

Original post by fatimass19
thanks! I was already studying from that book and have completed the as level section of it. That sounds like a useful tips, I'll try it out! Although the paper is only tomorrow so I don't have much time left!
Responding to Question 2 consists of four steps:1.Reading the task and the text2.Annotating the text3.Planning your commentary4.Writing your commentary.So, after you’ve done the annotation, you will be stuck with an exam paper looking something like this. While messy annotations may make perfect sense to you, and we wouldn’t want to have them any other way, they’re not worth much if you don’t organize them into a coherent and cohesive commentary. Structuring your commentary well is an essential step in acing your exam. Turning your ideas from this into this requires a specific set of skills and careful planning.As I’ve said before, if you do the planning stage well, the commentary writes itself.This is because the structure of your essay plays a vital role in how well your commentary will turn out.So, how to plan to ensure that your structure is spot on?The first thing you need to bear in mind is of course, the essential essay structure you learned a long time ago. Every essay consists of three main parts: the introduction, the main part, and the conclusion.However, in this exam, you’re really strapped for time. For that reason, it is preferred that you omit the conclusion altogether or write a very, very short one. This is because conclusions usually serves the purpose of summarizing information you’ve already given and they don’t provide any new information. If you write a long conclusion, you will be wasting your time and words on repeating what you’ve already written, so the best choice is to do away with the conclusion altogether and focus on your introduction and especially the main part.However, it’s not enough to just divide your commentary into an introduction and a very long main part. If you do that, you will end up with several pages of this. Can you notice what is wrong here? Even if you can’t, an examiner definitely can and i can tell you, the impression this leaves is not good. Writing your commentary as one long connected chunk of text will not get you far in terms of your structure, and what0s even worse, your lack of planning and organization skills will be obvious from the moment the examiner lays his or her eyes on your exam paper. If you want that first impression o be much better than that, you need to divide your essay into clearly sectioned paragraphs. This provides a very clear visual organization of the text, which is then further developed through the actual content of your paragraphs.So please, please, please, make sure to have paragraphs in any text you write in your exam that is longer than, say, 100 words.OK, so now you know you need to have paragraphs. But the thing about paragraphs is they’re like boxes or containers. _It may seem to you that you can put whatever you want in these containers and as long as they’re visibly divided, everything will be fine, right? Wrong.Imagine you’re moving out of your parents’ house to go off to college. Which makes more sense to you? Taking all your stuff, your clothes and your books and your accessories and randomly putting them into various boxes without really paying attention to what is in each boxORCarefully selecting and labeling boxes for each different item, so you have a box of clothes, a box of books and a box of accessories?Of course, you’d choose the second one! Imagine how much easier unpacking will be.Well, the same applies to paragraphs. Choosing what you put into them makes it easier for you to organize your thoughts and easier for the examiner to understand your opinions.
Original post by gabriella29
Hi everyone! I'm currently taking AS Level English Language (9093) and I'm currently struggling with writing a commentary. Can anyone please give me some tips on how you usually answer a commentary question where it asks you to question on the "style" and "language"? It would be greatly appreciated! Also, I have a few commentaries written. If anyone would like to help me check, that would be greatly appreciated as well!

I could help you if you would like . Just give me your social or message and I’ll help you as best as I can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending