The Student Room Group

My friends are getting really close with my ex, what do I do?

Basically I have a group of about 10 girlfriends, about 5 of these girls were friends with my ex before me and him even met each other and they had been friends for years. However, they weren’t exactly that close before me and him went out or even during the period where me and him went out. I feel like they have all become a lot closer with him now after we have broken up and I kind of feel salty towards the situation especially since I go to school with these girls and see them everyday and I thought I was closer with them than he was. I would obviously never ask them to stop being friends with him but I’m unsure as to why they have suddenly all got closer as it does bother me as I feel replaced and I feel like it’s being rubbed in my face. I feel like there is a line and I feel like it has been crossed especially since their relationship with him seems to have gotten stronger after our break up.

Then there are the other girls in the group who didn’t know him before me. One of these girls is one of my best friends and I’ve known her for most of my life. Me and my best friend met my ex at the same time when we were introduced to him at social event however they stayed nothing more than acquaintances throughout the lead up to me dating him and even during the relationship they never really spoke much. But now that me and my ex have broken up my best friend has gotten so close with my ex that sometimes I feel like they are closer with eachother than I am with her. This upsets me so much and I kind of feel betrayed as I don’t see why she would start a close friendship with someone who is my ex AFTER we have broken up.

My ex is still invited to all social events we do as a group and I always end up either crying or leaving early because I don’t like seeing my ex and friends together while I’m pushed to the side. (Forgot to mention I still have feelings for my ex and he broke up with me- so ontop of that I’m dealing with unresolved feelings so my friends make it worse for me) Because he is still invited to all the events I don’t expect my friends to never speak to him when they see him but again I feel like there is a line and I feel like I get pushed to side by my own friends whenever he is around.

I tried to speak to a few of my friends about the fact I feel uncomfortable but none of them seem to want to change how things are/don’t really care that it’s hurting me this much even though they say they empathise with me. From my perspective, I just wouldn’t act like this with one of their exes.

It would be nice to hear your thoughts on the situation and any advice you do have?
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I have a group of about 10 girlfriends, about 5 of these girls were friends with my ex before me and him even met each other and they had been friends for years. However, they weren’t exactly that close before me and him went out or even during the period where me and him went out. I feel like they have all become a lot closer with him now after we have broken up and I kind of feel salty towards the situation especially since I go to school with these girls and see them everyday and I thought I was closer with them than he was. I would obviously never ask them to stop being friends with him but I’m unsure as to why they have suddenly all got closer as it does bother me as I feel replaced and I feel like it’s being rubbed in my face. I feel like there is a line and I feel like it has been crossed especially since their relationship with him seems to have gotten stronger after our break up.

Then there are the other girls in the group who didn’t know him before me. One of these girls is one of my best friends and I’ve known her for most of my life. Me and my best friend met my ex at the same time when we were introduced to him at social event however they stayed nothing more than acquaintances throughout the lead up to me dating him and even during the relationship they never really spoke much. But now that me and my ex have broken up my best friend has gotten so close with my ex that sometimes I feel like they are closer with eachother than I am with her. This upsets me so much and I kind of feel betrayed as I don’t see why she would start a close friendship with someone who is my ex AFTER we have broken up.

My ex is still invited to all social events we do as a group and I always end up either crying or leaving early because I don’t like seeing my ex and friends together while I’m pushed to the side. (Forgot to mention I still have feelings for my ex and he broke up with me- so ontop of that I’m dealing with unresolved feelings so my friends make it worse for me) Because he is still invited to all the events I don’t expect my friends to never speak to him when they see him but again I feel like there is a line and I feel like I get pushed to side by my own friends whenever he is around.

I tried to speak to a few of my friends about the fact I feel uncomfortable but none of them seem to want to change how things are/don’t really care that it’s hurting me this much even though they say they empathise with me. From my perspective, I just wouldn’t act like this with one of their exes.

It would be nice to hear your thoughts on the situation and any advice you do have?

With the first group of girls, they were already friends. They're probably just being good friends and helping him get back to normal after your break up. As for your best friend, maybe she feels like she can become friends with him now you two aren't together, because there's now no chance you would think something more was going on than just being friends.

It sounds like you need to deal with your feelings first, as you're likely making the situation worse than it really is because of how you feel.
Original post by DrawTheLine
With the first group of girls, they were already friends. They're probably just being good friends and helping him get back to normal after your break up. As for your best friend, maybe she feels like she can become friends with him now you two aren't together, because there's now no chance you would think something more was going on than just being friends.

It sounds like you need to deal with your feelings first, as you're likely making the situation worse than it really is because of how you feel.

your name says it all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending