amzyrads
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What do y'all think the republican party will become under Trump? The same party as was under Bush which was a shift from compassionate conservative to plain conservatives, or a completely different model altogether; trumpism?
EJWellwood
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Trump and the GOP are really not at all on the same page. The polarisation of partisanship is leaving the compassionate conservatives behind and even the 'plain old' conservatives are struggling to find Trump a likeable character. This is not to say that the Republicans are likely to rebel as they recognise how much support a populist such as Trump is able to conjure for the Republicans. The mid-terms will really be a turning point for Trump as either way, he is going to really have to start applying some pressure in Congress to follow through with his electoral promises - that wall ain't going to build itself and I can't really imagine Republicans in the House and Senate being awfully pleased with committing money to it.
amzyrads
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by EJWellwood)
Trump and the GOP are really not at all on the same page. The polarisation of partisanship is leaving the compassionate conservatives behind and even the 'plain old' conservatives are struggling to find Trump a likeable character. This is not to say that the Republicans are likely to rebel as they recognise how much support a populist such as Trump is able to conjure for the Republicans. The mid-terms will really be a turning point for Trump as either way, he is going to really have to start applying some pressure in Congress to follow through with his electoral promises - that wall ain't going to build itself and I can't really imagine Republicans in the House and Senate being awfully pleased with committing money to it.
yeah he's practically creating his own internal coalition by the looks of it. it's usual for the party to control the executive to lose control of congress during mid terms and congress can block or ammend his legislation heavily, especially the wall one so he's not in a great position
EJWellwood
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It's just whether or not he'll go crazy with his executive powers following the mid-terms and start firing off executive orders - it's Trump, who knows?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads