The Student Room Group

TELF

Hello

I'm looking for some advice with 'teaching English as a foreign language.' I want to teach in Asia, in South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan or Singapore. A big Asian city basically, not really interested in places like Vietnam.

After uni I have done a couple of different types of jobs ranging from politics to retail and sales. The last three years I've run my own retail outlet but now Im in the process of selling up as I have a strong desire to travel and see the world while I'm still young.

I want to spend the summer in Brighton before I head off, doing a bar type job whilst gaining a TELF certificate at the same time.

Now after hours of research it seems to me the best choice for myself is a split online classroom course with prices from reputable providers around the £350-400 range.

I think I'd prefer to teach kids but I am open to adults as well but it seems that the CELTA certificate, even though its widely regarded as the best only allows you to teach adults. Can someone confirm this is the case? Its also extremely expensive and a full time course. This would mean I couldn't realistically work a part or full time job at the same time and I don't want to invest so much if it limits me to just adults.

The provider I have found is on tefl.org.uk

Is this a good provider? Is there someone who has used them before and have feedback?

I'm looking for maximum employability and I don't mind paying extra if this means gaining a certificate which will be valuable for me to find work, as apposed to something which is not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing your advice.

best regards
Josh
You might like to check out this guide to the best TEFL companies. This teaching abroad facebook page is also popular www.facebook.com/teflabroad. I hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest