The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I could be looking at a Mini One 1.6 as a first car when I turn 17.

Any pros, cons? General opinions?

I know it depends on several factors, however, roughly how much would insurance cost on that for a 17 year old male?

Thanks
Reply 261
The Stig
I could be looking at a Mini One 1.6 as a first car when I turn 17.

Any pros, cons? General opinions?

I know it depends on several factors, however, roughly how much would insurance cost on that for a 17 year old male?

Thanks

mine one's can come as 1.4, the insurance apparnetly isn't too astronomical on any and well they're real pretty or handsome.
whatevz.:biggrin:
Reply 262
addie
I though I would mention for other car buyers that Elephant do ridculously cheap insurance!! I got Fully CoM, me and my sister new drivers, £800. Saved a bundle

hm... i just had an online quote and it was ridiculously expensive 1400 pounds..with my mother as first driver and me as second driver.

may i ask how old you and your sister are, because insurance companies do look at the age right ?
Reply 263
Nor
hm... i just had an online quote and it was ridiculously expensive 1400 pounds..with my mother as first driver and me as second driver.

may i ask how old you and your sister are, because insurance companies do look at the age right ?

Did you get that quote from elephant? :confused:
Yes they do tend to look at age. I am 17 and my sister is 19. Bet your even more shocked now. :biggrin:
Nor

Was your mum the main driver?
Anyone had an mg zr as a first car?
2002 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec going for £2000 at my friend's work. It's so cheap because it was a trade-in.

80,000 miles on the clock and I can't see myself getting a car anywhere near as good for that price. I haven't started getting lessons yet but should I go for that while it's still around?
New suzuki swift 1.5 for me :biggrin: have to wait until near my test or until i pass to get it though :'( or are there any other cars which are better at a similar price?
Reply 268
DirtyHarry
2002 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec going for £2000 at my friend's work. It's so cheap because it was a trade-in.

80,000 miles on the clock and I can't see myself getting a car anywhere near as good for that price. I haven't started getting lessons yet but should I go for that while it's still around?

If it's got nothing wrong with it, it's a steal at that price.
what are the chances of a 17 or 18 year old getting insured on a 1.4 golf 54 or 05 plate as a first car?
Reply 270
Theres a citroen saxo westcoast 1.4 S reg in really good condition at my local garage, for £1895 - is this too much? I saw on auto trader a 1.1 2002 A plate new saxo for £1550 - would the insurance be a lot more because it is newer?
Reply 271
Kelly^2
Theres a citroen saxo westcoast 1.4 S reg in really good condition at my local garage, for £1895 - is this too much? I saw on auto trader a 1.1 2002 A plate new saxo for £1550 - would the insurance be a lot more because it is newer?

WAY too much!:eek: I dont think the insurance would that much more cus its newer and it would be a lot better to get a newer one especially for LESS money than an S reg :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:. I got my 2001 polo for about the price of that S reg citreon! Also 1.1 is better imo as the petrol prices are going crazy!
Reply 272
S'what I was thinking, thank youuuu :smile: 1550 does seem cheap for 2002 though? Im worried theres something wrong with it hahaha
Reply 273
Kelly^2
S'what I was thinking, thank youuuu :smile: 1550 does seem cheap for 2002 though? Im worried theres something wrong with it hahaha

Well you can always check over it with a parent or a friend who even knows a bit about cars or whatever. I'm sure it's fine it doesn't sound that underpriced at all. It's a small car it's fairly popular but not amazingly popular. I wouldn't be too worried :^_^:
Reply 274
Ill speak to the rents - get dad to go have a look :smile: Thank you for your help :smile:
Kelly^2

What's the mileage on it? That often knocks a fair bit off the price if it's particularly high.
Reply 276
What do you guys think of a Golf Mk4 1.4/16? How much would insurance be for someone who just turned 18 and first car?

And how reliable are Alfa Romeo 147s? I've seen a lot of 1.6 models for 3k on Auto Trader, they look nice in black IMO, but I worry for reliability.
Reply 278
Inflation
What do you guys think of a Golf Mk4 1.4/16? How much would insurance be for someone who just turned 18 and first car?

The Golf is a nice car, if a little expensive, the 1.6 will be fine if you're not bothered about amazing performance, the 1.4 might be a bit sluggish, that Golf is quite a heavy car. If I was buying I'd either be going diesel, or a more power petrol in the Golf, but obviously that would put insurance up. The 1.6TS in the Alfa will work better incomparison, but can't really comment on reliability, depends on how it's been looked after.
tomc87
The Golf is a nice car, if a little expensive, the 1.6 will be fine if you're not bothered about amazing performance, the 1.4 might be a bit sluggish, that Golf is quite a heavy car. If I was buying I'd either be going diesel, or a more power petrol in the Golf, but obviously that would put insurance up. The 1.6TS in the Alfa will work better incomparison, but can't really comment on reliability, depends on how it's been looked after.

Expensive? A mate picked up a Golf mk4 1.6 for £2.8k, but it had 90k on it.
Would you go for a Polo instead?

Latest