The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Worried about being older at uni?

:smile:))
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry I don’t have any advice but I’m gonna be in the exact same position NEXT year. I’ll also be 20 in November when I start uni! X
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Moonless
I took a gap year and starting uni in September, i turn 20 in November... my uni gives the option of living with 20 and unders or 21- 25s do you think i should choose the older bracket? I'm also worried if i choose the older one i will be with second year people

I would choose the under 21 option. If you went into accomodation with people over 20 then you may be with people who are in 3rd and 4th year, and although it might be good if they are futher on in the same course I think going into accomodation with younger option will be a better experience and more motivating to do things socially. Do you know if you are put into accomodation with people on the same course as you?
Nobody cares how old you are at uni as long as you are a nice person.
I took a gap year and starting uni in September, i turn 20 in November... my uni gives the option of living with 20 and unders or 21- 25s do you think i should choose the older bracket? I'm also worried if i choose the older one i will be with second year people

Hi,

It is really understandable that you aren't sure which option to take, as it is a dilemma faced by many students who have either taken a gap year, or completed additional college courses.
What I always mention in these situations is that it really depends on what you want, since although by being with those who are under 20, they *may* be more socially orientated this is not always the case, much the same with the later, being the reverse.

Although I am in no position to speak about the policy at Uni of Exeter, as a student from Reading. I know my partner (who is 20) is similar situation here at Reading, she finds that she does not mind being under 20s, and that although one of the older students in the flat, she has fitted in well. Meaning that although there is a slight age gap, everyone is ultimately in the same situation. As this is the first time living away from home, and really living for themselves!

I hope this has helped

Tom :smile:
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador.

Personally, I've found nobody cares about your age at all. I've lived with students that I later realised were 1-2 years older than me, it made literally no difference whatsoever. Plus being 19/20 isn't much older than the usual 18 year old students in halls, and I doubt it's very noticeable that you're 1-2 years older. I'm friends with students that are 28 and even 44 years old, we're all adults and age just isn't a big factor anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending