Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
CAN SOMEONE MARK MY WORK AND TELL ME HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER PLEASE

MY EXAM IS IN 2 DAYS
THANKS, DOING EDEXCEL OTHELLO, MARKED OUT OF 25 USUALLY

MY FIRST 3 PARAS, USUALLY DO 6

Platonic love is explored through the relationship of Othello and Desdemona, in which their differences of race and status strengthen their ideal love for one another. Othello is an impossible position as a black male serving a white patriarchy, as he loves ‘thee gentle Desdemona’, suggesting through the emotive language that Othello desires Desdemona due to her feminine grace and sympathy; she loves him for his masculinity. ‘Gentle’ suggests she is kind and warming character, yet also in a vulnerable position in society, foreshadowing her hamartia – death. Likewise, the setting of Venice is powerful and romantic, like their relationship at first, yet it moves to a military conflicting setting, which also reinforces the destruction in their relationship. This is reinforced in Shakespeare’s earlier play ‘Romeo and Juliet’ because both families wont accept one another creating a conflict, criticising how society allows family to decompose true love, primarily due to discrimination.

Othello continues to expose his affection for Desdemona publicly, yet Shakespeare transcends how racism can also be a barrier to romantic love. Iago is prejudice against Othello, whom he holds strong negative racial stereotypes of Othello as he is ‘an old black ram tupping your white ewe’. ‘Old black ram’ is harsh animal imagery used to Iago’s advantage to show Desdemona his flaws, yet Desdemona ignores the racial differences and stereotypes of black men in Jacobean society, as she holds a robust radical point of view for a Jacobean heroine, as she doesn’t view mixed marriages with anxiety. Culturally, in the 17th century mixed marriages were viewed with anxiety and shocking in the Jacobean era as to Iago black symbolises evil and suspicion, strengthening his xenophobic perspective. Iago’s personality is shown in Shakespeare’s earlier play, ‘The Merchant of Venice’ due to his excessive biased view, in which Shylock is viewed as an outsider due to his culture of being a Jew, questioning how this injustice firstly erupted in ‘Othello’ due to a prior jubilant attachment between Othello and Desdemona.

Disruption in the relationship was caused by Iago, in which Iago used jealousy as a catalyst to destruct their platonic love, propelling the havoc downfalls of most of the characters, including himself. Jealousy damages Othello as he distorts Othello’s ability to distinguish between appearance and reality, unable to glance that Iago hides behind a façade of ‘honesty’ and ‘truth’. Iago is considered a ‘green ey-d monster’ suggesting through the vivid metaphor that envy is deadly and lethal, in which it has the strength to damage
Untitled99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Are you doing English Lang Lit or English Lit because I think the Mark scheme differs. However, as a A2 English Lang Lit student, your essay is good, but to achieve more marks, you should improve your analysis by making it in more depth. For example, instead of just suggesting ‘gentle’ - define the word class of being it an adjective and having connotations of etc .... this also applies to the second paragraph when you mentioned ‘an old black rum...’ - maybe look into the significance of colour. Also, it would really make your essay outshine other students, if you conduct more wider context research - you’ve mentioned about the Jacobean audience which is great, but why not do further research .. such as the power of women’s sexuality then etc ..
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
zainwaraich123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Untitled99)
Are you doing English Lang Lit or English Lit because I think the Mark scheme differs. However, as a A2 English Lang Lit student, your essay is good, but to achieve more marks, you should improve your analysis by making it in more depth. For example, instead of just suggesting ‘gentle’ - define the word class of being it an adjective and having connotations of etc .... this also applies to the second paragraph when you mentioned ‘an old black rum...’ - maybe look into the significance of colour. Also, it would really make your essay outshine other students, if you conduct more wider context research - you’ve mentioned about the Jacobean audience which is great, but why not do further research .. such as the power of women’s sexuality then etc ..
thank you so much g, you are a plug
I'm doing english literature

what about these 2 paragprahs. what shall i improve bout these

Disruption in the relationship was caused by Iago, in which Iago used jealousy as a catalyst to destruct their platonic love, propelling the havoc downfalls of most of the characters, including himself. Jealousy damages Othello as he distorts Othello’s ability to distinguish between appearance and reality, unable to glance that Iago hides behind a façade of ‘honesty’ and ‘truth’. Iago is considered a ‘green ey-d monster’ suggesting through the vivid metaphor that envy is deadly and lethal, in which Iago adapts Othello’s mind-set completely, causing him to ‘smother’ his own wife. ‘Monster’ connotes the strength of covetousness and how it can consume one, whereas it also represents how monsters are imaginary, similar to his lies and deceits which he used amongst most the characters. Historically, the Muslim and the Christian states had a dangerous war which caused an abundance of harm, advocating how Iago takes advantage of the uneasy political situation to destabilise their marriage. A Modern male approach would strongly agree as Iago is a strong Machiavellian villain, in which Iago is a cynical, manipulative villain driven by a petty motive – not being promoted.

Manipulation is used by Iago again to construct his ultimate ploy to threaten their marriage, in which Iago can’t bear to see a female exert influence in a male-centred society. Othello believes that Desdemona is having an affair with Cassio, due to Iago who is ‘full of love and honesty’ which is dramatic irony and humour, combined to conceal his façade as he tricks the others to harm them, and continue on his tactical spree. ‘Honesty’ is also repeated throughout the beginning to the denouement, exemplifying how his image can never be tainted or wrecked, despite Emilia exposing him in Act 5.

Plotting is also exhibited as it goes strictly against the Age of Enlightment, in which Iago’s violation of behaviour leaves the others characters in the play in a vulnerable position
Untitled99
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As, I’ve mentioned earlier, go through your essay and improve your analysis by adding in with word classes - it will show the examiner you are aware the basic of the course. Maybe define key terms - such as ‘manipulation’ as it’s the steer of the essay. We had a similar question in our past paper for jealousy, so I would suggest you explore the significant of jealousy between different characters, for example Iago is jealous of Othello and Cassio etc.. and how this changes throughout the play. This is important for our (Lang Lit) course because we have to refer to a wider text by referring throughout the play - so defo add in a few key quotes in relation to your argument and explain the significance of it. Perhaps, you could also add in the context of betrayal during that time which may have influenced Shakespeare crafting of the play - such as how King James was warned of his royal treaties betraying him etc ..

Yeah that’s all the advice I can give to you and yeah .. good luck.
zainwaraich123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Untitled99)
As, I’ve mentioned earlier, go through your essay and improve your analysis by adding in with word classes - it will show the examiner you are aware the basic of the course. Maybe define key terms - such as ‘manipulation’ as it’s the steer of the essay. We had a similar question in our past paper for jealousy, so I would suggest you explore the significant of jealousy between different characters, for example Iago is jealous of Othello and Cassio etc.. and how this changes throughout the play. This is important for our (Lang Lit) course because we have to refer to a wider text by referring throughout the play - so defo add in a few key quotes in relation to your argument and explain the significance of it. Perhaps, you could also add in the context of betrayal during that time which may have influenced Shakespeare crafting of the play - such as how King James was warned of his royal treaties betraying him etc ..

Yeah that’s all the advice I can give to you and yeah .. good luck.
thanks g, u kept it 100
zainwaraich123
Rep:
?
(Original post by zainwaraich123)
thanks g, u kept it 100
Last question could you expand on this context as I actually needed one more piece of context

Perhaps, you could also add in the context of betrayal during that time which may have influenced Shakespeare crafting of the play - such as how King James was warned of his royal treaties betraying him etc ..

plz
Untitled99
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Bro, if you type King James betrayal on google, it should come up. As a general summary, in relation to King James, being warned by that he may be betrayed is significant for the Jacobean audience because in that era ultimately everyone was betraying everyone - hence making it more easier for Othello to believe that Desdemona is betraying him etc. Then I would explore more on betrayal and deception and how our evil machieval Iago has managed to betray Othello - as Jacobean audience believed evil was hard to detect making Iago even more terrifying etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads