Mark my Othello paragraph please. Theme is manipulation. Watch

RP990
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
The theme of manipulation in the play Othello centrally revolves around our main antagonist, Iago. Iago fulfills the perfect portrayal of our renaissance machiavellian villain, constantly demonstrating his skill of manipulation, ruthfulness and scheming through the play. It is clear from the first scene how apparent Iago's motives are, and we shortly begin to see that Iago rather enjoys the sport of ruining our protagonist's life. Firstly, Shakespeare demonstrates Iago's skill of manipulation by showing the audience how it can be used as a tool; "Out of her own goodness, make the net that shall enmesh them all". Next, Iago's clever use of language. Iago is on par with Othello's speech and his soliloquies, but yet, rather uses his skill of speech with much more malign intentions as he constantly exploits characters worst fears. When speaking to Brabantio he states "An old black ram is tupping your white ewe" - Iago knows to create a visual contrast of purity and evil, exacerbating racial tensions by dehumanizing the portrayal of the pure Desdemona and valiant Othello. In 1602, a black male would only be known to have a role of a slave, hence this was evident that it would anger a Venetian man such as Brabantio. Lastly, how Iago manipulates his appearance versus reality. Iago constantly takes advantage of his position and surroundings. From the beginning we see him taking advantage of the darkness in the streets when confronting Brabantio. He also constantly reminds the audience and characters of his honesty. So much that Othello relies on the sole view of "honest Iago" when Cassio becomes inebriated. Othello eventually allows Iago to become his 'eyes', as he rather passively fails to try and find anything out himself, but instead resorts to making Iago give him his desired "...Ocular proof".
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (119)
17.68%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (71)
10.55%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (99)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (65)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (200)
29.72%

Watched Threads