How to dress in a posh/rah style? Watch

NorthernGirl1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m going to uni this autumn and the uni I’m going to is a top 10 Russell Group uni (I won’t say which one). I’m the first person from my school to go to this uni and I’m a bit worried about fitting in. Many people at the uni are from the UK’s top public schools etc. When I visited the uni, I felt quite out of place with what I was wearing compared with everyone else so I was wondering if anyone who goes to a uni like this could give me some advice on how to dress in a posh/rah style?
vxlerie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
first of allllll im just going to advice that this is not something to worry like honestly i have experienced the same thing when going for offer holder events open days etc dont worry about making friends if you want some advice just let me know now if you must change your style i would suggest ..... simple stylish pieces are really the way to go what ever you wear dont make it over complicated make sure you buy things that fit you very well and just go off what you saw and go from there really x
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
NorthernGirl1
Rep:
?
(Original post by vxlerie)
first of allllll im just going to advice that this is not something to worry like honestly i have experienced the same thing when going for offer holder events open days etc dont worry about making friends if you want some advice just let me know now if you must change your style i would suggest ..... simple stylish pieces are really the way to go what ever you wear dont make it over complicated make sure you buy things that fit you very well and just go off what you saw and go from there really x
Thank you for replying! Are you at uni now? If you are how are you finding it? In terms of clothes, what brands/shops do you think would be a good idea? I’m totally clueless haha! When I was at the open day I felt like I’d stepped into a parallel universe almost.
vxlerie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
youre welcome and no im not sorry😂 but i guess i know cause friends in a couple of unis and really no matter where you go clothing will matter for the first month when everyone is trying to impress each other and after that you'll be going to lectures in pyjamas (im exagerating 😂 and btw what course did you apply for?) i can only tell ypu where i shop now? if that would be helpful but its not posh at all and heah i get how you feel it is quite scary
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If it's any consolation, it's worth remembering that the ones wearing 'posh' clothes are invariably less posh but trying to appear monied. The genuinely posh ones don't care what other people think, look scruffy and may have less disposable income than you might assume.
NorthernGirl1
Rep:
?
youre welcome and no im not sorry😂 but i guess i know cause friends in a couple of unis and really no matter where you go clothing will matter for the first month when everyone is trying to impress each other and after that you'll be going to lectures in pyjamas (im exagerating 😂 and btw what course did you apply for?) i can only tell ypu where i shop now? if that would be helpful but its not posh at all and heah i get how you feel it is quite scary
Are you applying now then? Where did you apply to? I applied for Biochemistry.
NorthernGirl1
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
If it's any consolation, it's worth remembering that the ones wearing 'posh' clothes are invariably less posh but trying to appear monied. The genuinely posh ones don't care what other people think, look scruffy and may have less disposable income than you might assume.
Yeah, I suppose you’re probably right.
clearasilly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'll soon find that most of these posh/rah people will completely change their style at uni anyway. They tend to leave behind the public school image and start wearing vintage sportswear, fleeces, puffer jackets, sweatshirts, trainers, tracksuit bottoms, crop tops, caps, hoop earrings.
vxlerie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NorthernGirl1)
Are you applying now then? Where did you apply to? I applied for Biochemistry.
yeah I applied to do maths and i firmed nottingham im taking a risk because i've never been there so i dont know what it looks like or if i like it.
NorthernGirl1
Rep:
?
yeah I applied to do maths and i firmed nottingham im taking a risk because i've never been there so i dont know what it looks like or if i like it.
Oh right, Nottingham’s nice. At least I thought it was when I went to their open day. The lecturers seemed nice and I liked the campus and the halls of residence. The city would be good in terms of having stuff to do but it does get bad press for safety admittedly (so does Bristol, London etc. though). If you come from a city, it shouldn’t be a problem. I come from a small town so it wouldn’t have been right for me.
vxlerie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh right, Nottingham’s nice. At least I thought it was when I went to their open day. The lecturers seemed nice and I liked the campus and the halls of residence. The city would be good in terms of having stuff to do but it does get bad press for safety admittedly (so does Bristol, London etc. though). If you come from a city, it shouldn’t be a problem. I come from a small town so it wouldn’t have been right for me.
oh wow thanks for letting me know i was a bit wprried if it was nice or not and yeah i live in london so i wanted an experience outside of london
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m going to uni this autumn and the uni I’m going to is a top 10 Russell Group uni (I won’t say which one). I’m the first person from my school to go to this uni and I’m a bit worried about fitting in. Many people at the uni are from the UK’s top public schools etc. When I visited the uni, I felt quite out of place with what I was wearing compared with everyone else so I was wondering if anyone who goes to a uni like this could give me some advice on how to dress in a posh/rah style?

I'm not really sure why you'd want to fake it - I can't think of any RG unis where people care what a student wears, and a lot of the rah dress is done ironically. Those boys in Pink shorts are running a double-bluff on irony.

But if you really want to fake it till you make it - Rah style isn't what you might think. There's nothing more new money and tacky than a bunch of labelled clothes and a Michael Kors handbag, and only Chinese girls are wearing quilted barbour jackets nowadays.

As a woman, what you really need is to be in hockey, lacrosse or rowing.

The hockey/lacrosse club jacket + school PE leggings + messy bun + wine glasses in your room = rah.

Also, use Ocado plastic bags for dirty kit.

If you can't get the sports club stash, that Urban Outfitter green puffer *might* do instead, but you'd have to be carrying a hockey/lacrosse stick with you to announce your credo.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
just be yourself
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
just be yourself
This highly inflammatory phrase is reserved for use by women only, when asked for relationship advice by men.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At an open day, everyone is nervous and trying to show off. They're additionally insecure because they don't think they'll get in, they're good enough, won't get the grades, everyone else seems to be talking to more people ... etc. This showing off might happen for the first week or two of first year, but then people realise the whole thing is not as big and as scary as they imagine, and they can afford to stop with the pretence.

And for those first two weeks, not everyone is going to be a posho. When they say high number from the top public schools, they mean 50% maybe. That's 50% of people who are normal and not afflicted with the posho virus. In reality, you won't be able to tell the posho from the normo; people are on the whole going to be quite ordinary and, in truth, rather mundane.
howitoughttobe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Trust me after the first few weeks everyone just wears jeans and hoodies, if they even bother to show up at all. I wore a plain burgundy skater skirt, plain black high neck top, tights and black ankle boots to one of my labs a couple of weeks ago. I literally just felt like dressing up a bit and also put some makeup on and made a bit of effort with my hair. Literally everyone I spoke to asked me if I was going somewhere later because I was so "dressed up". Even people who didn't know me so didn't know that I don't normally dress like that lol. Literally just shows how little effort everyone makes with what they wear at uni, although we are third years so we have bigger problems now.
Haviland-Tuf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
troll thread lol
ladamesansmerci
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to York uni, which was pretty white/middle class. Honestly, no one gives a **** what you wear. After the first couple of weeks and the stress and rush to make deadlines sets in, everyone resorts to the classic hoody/trakkie bottoms mode anyway.

The only people who will judge you on what you wear are *******s that you should avoid spending time with anyway. Wear what you feel comfortable in. Never ever change just to please or fit in with other people. It doesn't matter where you've come from- you are all at the same university now, and have all gotten there on your own academic merit.
Lechatn0ir
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeezys, grey adidas tracksuit (make sure it fits right- just low enough to see the waistband of your calvin kleins) and a baseball cap but not grey to avoid matchy matchy (for optimal results match it with ur yeezys)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (67)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.18%

Watched Threads