Experience dating someone with borderline personality disorder (BPD) Watch

bumbleweed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am dating someone who I am pretty certain has BPD. Anyone else been in this position? How did you deal with their emotional episodes?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bumbleweed)
I am dating someone who I am pretty certain has BPD. Anyone else been in this position? How did you deal with their emotional episodes?
I can't say I have that experience, but I'd suggest staying calm at all times if you can; appreciate that some of their thoughts might not seem rational to you, but arguing with them constantly over it won't always lead to the best outcome.
bumbleweed
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
I can't say I have that experience, but I'd suggest staying calm at all times if you can; appreciate that some of their thoughts might not seem rational to you, but arguing with them constantly over it won't always lead to the best outcome.
Thanks! I do try, but the things she comes out with when she's irrational is definitely getting me to doubt myself
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks! I do try, but the things she comes out with when she's irrational is definitely getting me to doubt myself
Doubt yourself about what?:curious:
bumbleweed
Rep:
?
About not treating her as well as I think I do
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Try not to take it personally although ik it's hard, if you know it's irrational she will too when she isn't in that head space. If she is being really out of order though that isn't acceptable. I would want someone to be understanding and considerate (have bpd) but wouldn't want them to let me get away with stuff although most of my stuff is directed at myself but still.
Is nice of you for trying to understand tbh, is such a stigma about it some people would run a mile
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Been through this unfortunately and searched up what I should expect. Every forum told me to forget about it cause 99% of the times it won’t work out, I thought this was bs. After two breakups I can confirm this is true in most cases, try as much as you like but if it gets to the point your risking your own sanity for her, better to dump.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Been through this unfortunately and searched up what I should expect. Every forum told me to forget about it cause 99% of the times it won’t work out, I thought this was bs. After two breakups I can confirm this is true in most cases, try as much as you like but if it gets to the point your risking your own sanity for her, better to dump.
Same experience here. Was an absolute disaster. I dated a guy with BPD and I was in an awful emotional state for a year during the relationship as I was constantly emotionally manipulated with his emotions projected onto me. I isolated myself from friends and began failing at school due to the stress. The school ended up getting involved - the reason why we have had no contact since. Despite being very aware and supportive of the disorder we went through many breakups and getting back together - it still failed. Don't bother.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think not taking things personally, like has already been said, would be a good start.

Just a warning that if you Google "dating someone with BPD" you'll find a lot of horrible articles which are purely based on that person's own experiences, and sometimes not at all. Although you should mindful, take these with a pinch of salt - every individual with BPD is different and therefore every relationship will be different as well. Just because other people may have had bad experiences with someone with BPD, it doesn't mean you will.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Same experience here. Was an absolute disaster. I dated a guy with BPD and I was in an awful emotional state for a year during the relationship as I was constantly emotionally manipulated with his emotions projected onto me. I isolated myself from friends and began failing at school due to the stress. The school ended up getting involved - the reason why we have had no contact since. Despite being very aware and supportive of the disorder we went through many breakups and getting back together - it still failed. Don't bother.
Did your BF actually have a diagnosis of BPD? if he did i am surprised since you say you were at school yet psychiatrists dont like to diagnose people under 19.
You also can't say to OP not to bother with everyone who has BPD based off of one negative experience
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (56)
24.89%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.33%
I'm sick of studying (45)
20%
I can't find a course I want to do (6)
2.67%
I don't know enough about them (16)
7.11%