This discussion is closed.
drangonfruit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A Bag contains n counters.
One counter is blue and the rest are red. Two counters ae taken at random from the bag.

A)Express, in terms of n, the probability that a counter of each colour is taken. Give your answer as a fraction in it's simplest form

B)The probability that a counter of each colour is taken is 0.125, How many red counters are in the bag?
CatWylde77
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1670501
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I came in to rowlock OP for not knowing how to do the volume of a sphere TBH.

Now I'm going to rowlock them for misleading thread titles and for not knowing how to do probabilities.
basher2475
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I also am stuck on this question and was stuck on it. Generally, probability as a whole is not that challenging but this is very confusing as it requires us to express it in terms of n and we dont really have any numerical values so i mean im really stuck on it so if you can help, even a little, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Xx_Elsbells97_xX
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You didn’t answer part B which is where I’m stuck on the same question. Can someone help with this please?
uyvuy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
TSR is a place to answer or to get help from perplexing question, even if that is homework. I don't see a problem with getting help or an explanation on how to answer the question.
uyvuy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by drangonfruit)
A Bag contains n counters.
One counter is blue and the rest are red. Two counters ae taken at random from the bag.

A)Express, in terms of n, the probability that a counter of each colour is taken. Give your answer as a fraction in it's simplest form

B)The probability that a counter of each colour is taken is 0.125, How many red counters are in the bag?
i know i'm a year late but:
a)2/n
b)15
2/n=1/8(0.125)
x by 2
2/n=2/16
so 16-1=15 (cus only 1 blue counter).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise