How do you cope with strong period pains?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm looking for any ways that girls have used to minimise their period pains.

Since the age of 15, I have suffered really bad period pains, to the point where I struggle to stand, talk, eat etc. I'm a big workaholic and nothing has ever stopped me from working (not even the flu), but the period pains are so strong they completely wipe me out.

They started off as very strong pains which would send me dizzy as I go to get a hot water bottle/ibuprofen, but after 20 minutes of screeching agony, the pain would be gone and that's it. But over the past 2 years or so the pains are slightly duller, but last throughout the day, sometimes 2 days. A hot water bottle helps slightly but obviously I need to be laid down. It's affected my attendance for things as going out is a struggle; as I come to the end of my final year at university I realise I cannot just keep taking time off for the pains. I'm a busy person with lots of ambitions/plans and the pains are one thing that are really holding me back!

I find it really frustrating, as I can never admit to my absence being due to period pains as I've previously heard comments such as "it's only your period, stop being so dramatic and get on with your life". I envy any woman that experiences little/no period pains!

Unfortunately, due to personal reasons I cannot take birth control which I know is what a lot of GPs suggest to overcome the pains.

Any suggestions/stories welcome
Study_Girl101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Omg, I basically have the same problems as you. I so get you!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Study_Girl101)
Omg, I basically have the same problems as you. I so get you!
I'm assuming it's quite common! Perhaps one reason why some people seem to disregard the issue as just something women have to go through.
mygradesarecrap
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Same problem
I cant move and vomit because of the cramps

Anyways what i do is

SLEEP! Atleast rest. Im studying a health science and legit with pain you need to let your body just rest. Paracetamol does not work for me. Or ibuprofen. So i avoid medicines as they just give rebound effects.

Try naproxen tablets.

In general. Heat applied to period pain makes it feel worse in my opinion. I like to put ice packs on my stomach since the pain makes me shiver and sweat.

The cold feeling sort of distracts your brain to feel ice cold on your skin rather than period pains
mygradesarecrap
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You may have secondary dysmennorea (dk if i spelt that right)
Check with your doctor

They just ask you questions and press your lower stomach to find any lumps or bumps.
Spamelie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Period pains are a nightmare, I agree.
I'm no expert, but you might want to try eating while the pains are at their worst. this can sometimes distract you and your body a little from the pain. It's not always convenient, but when it is, your body focusing on another function could help?

Speak to a medical professional if you haven't already and see if you can get ahold of some stronger medication than Ibuprofen. You could also do a little research into what is in birth control that numbs the pain.
yourjewishpal
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, the pill is only one option. Others such as the IUS and IUD, the Patch etc are all available and will help massively. Are they heavy too? If so you may want to look into endometriosis, or maybe even an ovarian cyst. Other causes could be fibroids, adenomyosis, or pelvic inflammatory disease. I'd recommend you looking into these just to rule them out [Read more here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/period-pain/ ]

also, never let other undermine your period pain! we all have different experiences and you're not being dramatic at all
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've had similar experiences. My pains got so bad that I was fainting and vomiting every month. Fortunately for me, the pill has fixed it. I've also been prescribed naproxen painkillers to take in case I do get strong cramps - they are really good. I suggest going to your GP and seeing if there's any pain relief like that you can take.
independentx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I totally get you here, I'm 15 and have had periods for almost 3 years and get really bad period pains too!! It's awful!
Although, there are things that can be done about it if affects your life a lot - not just birth control. It might be worth going to your GP and seeing what they say about non-hormonal options for treating it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I went to the doctors for the exact same reason and they gave me (I think it’s called mefanamic acid) which helps period cramps, and period cramps are the things that trigger the dizzy ness feeling sick etc. Unfortunately I can’t tell you my opinion because I haven’t had a period yet so haven’t tried them. However, my friend has the same symptoms as me and says that they don’t help and she takes more than is required. I would request this from your doctor if you can’t be put on the pill, but if they still don’t help then I would consider trying the pill for atleast a month just so you can see how you go.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
I would deffo go to a GP. Painful, heavy periods although they are common can be a sign of another underlying condition such as endometriosis or PCOS.

If you can go and get checked out, your doctor can rule out any of these problems and they can help with other medication besides the pill. They may be able to prescribe you stronger pain killers that are not available over the counter. However using strong pain killers regularly also isn’t a good option. But I would recommend deffo track what pains you are having (cramps, breast pains, nausea) and their intensity as well as your period flow as you could have a condition which is making your period worse

Rather than treating the symptoms, it is much better to treat the cause. Hope this helped x
BryanFerri
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A lot of the symptons of period pain can be removed by taking a daily magnesium supplement. It is cramp afterall.
parrot16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

Since the age of 15, I have suffered really bad period pains, to the point where I struggle to stand, talk, eat etc. I'm a big workaholic and nothing has ever stopped me from working (not even the flu), but the period pains are so strong they completely wipe me out.

They started off as very strong pains which would send me dizzy as I go to get a hot water bottle/ibuprofen, but after 20 minutes of screeching agony, the pain would be gone and that's it. But over the past 2 years or so the pains are slightly duller, but last throughout the day, sometimes 2 days. A hot water bottle helps slightly but obviously I need to be laid down. It's affected my attendance for things as going out is a struggle; as I come to the end of my final year at university I realise I cannot just keep taking time off for the pains. I'm a busy person with lots of ambitions/plans and the pains are one thing that are really holding me back!

I find it really frustrating, as I can never admit to my absence being due to period pains as I've previously heard comments such as "it's only your period, stop being so dramatic and get on with your life". I envy any woman that experiences little/no period pains!

Unfortunately, due to personal reasons I cannot take birth control which I know is what a lot of GPs suggest to overcome the pains.

I take 2 tablets of paracetamol and 2 tablets of ibuprofen at once (they work differently). Sometimes ibuprofen with codeine (from pharmacy without prescription) instead of the ibuprofen on its own. I try as hard as I can to ignore the rest of the pain (breathing exercises, trying to focus on something else).
HRH Catherine
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am 14 and always get my monthly periods.The period started when I was 11-12 ( about the time when my breast started growing!) I normally don't have much pain.But my last period was so painful,mainly around the stomach area and at times it made me cry almost. What do I do if I have pain again at this months period?
~Tara~
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mine depends on the month. I use a multi-pronged approach: deep heat, pain killers, bread on first day of period (eating it - proper bread not the gluten free replacement crap i usually have) and if its super bad, sex/masturbation. usually it will help dull the pain enough for me to carry on with my day or it relaxes me enough i can sleep through pain and nausea
Anonymous #4
Report 1 year ago
My pains are the worst and have been since around the age of 15/16. I’m now 20 and still experience the most excruciating cramps ever I’ve been to the doctor to have blood tests and ultra sounds to check for any underlying issues such as PCOS but I got the all-clear thank God. I started the pill about three days ago (1st day of my cycle) and I can say I’m in more pain than ever. I’ve really tried everything now and guess I’m just one of the few unlucky ones that have to suffer every month. Remember - different things work for different people, so search around and hopefully you find something. If not - you’re not alone!😂 hot water bottles and neurofen is the way forward
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I take the pill to control mine, as well as for contraceptive reasons. My pain was worse during ovulation rather than during the actual period. Since you cannot take hormonal contraceptives then I would recommend strong NSAIDs. Naproxen are the only painkillers that help me for extreme pain ranging from period related pain, toothache, migraine etc.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Mefenamic acid is a god send
Anonymous #5
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I lick your Pussy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (341)
34.8%
No (639)
65.2%

Watched Threads