StudyWorrier
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it possible to obtain finance for two PT courses at the same time? To fund, for example, two PT courses (each of 60 credits) one of which is taught during the day and the other in the evenings.
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StudyWorrier)
Is it possible to obtain finance for two PT courses at the same time? To fund, for example, two PT courses (each of 60 credits) one of which is taught during the day and the other in the evenings.
Hi StudyWorrier,

No, only one part-time course can be funded at the same time.

The only way we would fund a second course, at the same time is if it attracted an Advanced Learner Loan.

Advanced Learner Loans are repayable, non means tested (not based on the household income) fee loans for all eligible persons aged 19 or over, who wish to undertake courses at Level 3 or above at a College or Training Organisation in England.

Regards Rona
StudyWorrier
Rep:
?
Hello Rona,Thank you for that. Not great news but good to have a straight answer. I hope you will be willing to apply your expert knowledge further.Suppose I start a PT degree course this September, complete the first Semester then suspend study for a year. During the year out I do a FT teacher training course - January to December. In January, following the end of the FT course, I return to the PT course and complete Semester 2, and thereafter the rest of the degree. I assume that I would be able to obtain finance for the PT course for the first Semester. Would I, however, be eligible to receive full funding for the FT course, and then further funding to complete the PT degree?Finally, what is the date that courses are assumed to start for funding purposes? If the course starts in mid-September will the official date be taken as 1 September, or the actual date? Or, given the above scenario, would it be treated as starting not on resumption of the PT course but a year earlier - before Semester 1.Thank you in advance for your time.Regards,StudyWorrier
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Rona,Thank you for that. Not great news but good to have a straight answer. I hope you will be willing to apply your expert knowledge further.Suppose I start a PT degree course this September, complete the first Semester then suspend study for a year. During the year out I do a FT teacher training course - January to December. In January, following the end of the FT course, I return to the PT course and complete Semester 2, and thereafter the rest of the degree. I assume that I would be able to obtain finance for the PT course for the first Semester. Would I, however, be eligible to receive full funding for the FT course, and then further funding to complete the PT degree?Finally, what is the date that courses are assumed to start for funding purposes? If the course starts in mid-September will the official date be taken as 1 September, or the actual date? Or, given the above scenario, would it be treated as starting not on resumption of the PT course but a year earlier - before Semester 1.Thank you in advance for your time.Regards,StudyWorrier
Hi StudyWorrier,

You would not be able to suspend an undergraduate part-time course and apply for full-time support to undertake a PGCE within the same academic year.

In theory you can appy for a September start, part-time undergraduate course, withdraw and then apply on a full-time application for a January start PGCE, as long as it is 2 years or less in duration and you do not already hold Qualified Teacher Status QTS.

Can I ask what is the qualification that you wish to undertake on a part-time basis?

Secondly do you already hold a degree?

Thanks Rona
StudyWorrier
Rep:
?
Hello Rona,I have a degree but would be studying for a second UG degree in a STEM subject on a PT basis. The purpose of the teaching qualification (QTLS not QTS) is to help me support myself and my family during the remainder of the degree.Ken
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Rona,I have a degree but would be studying for a second UG degree in a STEM subject on a PT basis. The purpose of the teaching qualification (QTLS not QTS) is to help me support myself and my family during the remainder of the degree.Ken
Hi StudyWorrier,

Thank you for answering those questions.

The reason I asked is because unless it was a part-time exception course, which you can be confident that STEM courses are, you would not be entitled to support if you already had a degree.

In order to be entitled to support to undertake a PGCE as an exception course, can you confirm that you do not already hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)?

Thanks Rona
StudyWorrier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rona SFE)
Hi StudyWorrier,

Thank you for answering those questions.

The reason I asked is because unless it was a part-time exception course, which you can be confident that STEM courses are, you would not be entitled to support if you already had a degree.

In order to be entitled to support to undertake a PGCE as an exception course, can you confirm that you do not already hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)?

Thanks Rona
I do not hold QTS, it would be a first teaching qualification.
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do not hold QTS, it would be a first teaching qualification.
Hi StudyWorrier,

Yes as long as you do not already hold QTS, both courses are exception courses and you would receive funding for both.

Thanks Rona
StudyWorrier
Rep:
?
Hi StudyWorrier,

Yes as long as you do not already hold QTS, both courses are exception courses and you would receive funding for both.

Thanks Rona
Hello Rona,

Thank you. I turn 60 in mid September and the PT degree course starts later that month. Will I be eligible for the maintenance loan, under the new regulations, for the first and subsequent years of the course?

Thanks,

StudyWorrier
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Rona,

Thank you. I turn 60 in mid September and the PT degree course starts later that month. Will I be eligible for the maintenance loan, under the new regulations, for the first and subsequent years of the course?

Thanks,

StudyWorrier

Hi StudyWorrier,

There are no upper age limits for Tuition Fees.

If your course starts in September, the academic year for your course will be September 1, 2018.

Students over 60 on the first day of the academic year studying a full-time course are eligible to a Special Support Loan(SSL)

The SSL is fully means tested and will be between £50 and £3,680 in 2018/19AY

Students aged 60 or over on the first day of the academic year will not be eligible for a Part-time Maintenance Loan PTML, will receive a part time tuition fee loan only.

Thanks Rona
StudyWorrier
Rep:
?
Hello Rona,Thank you. As I will be under 60 on September 1 then I assume that I will be eligible for the PTML for the first year of the PT degree course. Can I also take it that, as long as I do not suspend study, I will be eligible for the PTML until completion of the course.Thanks for your time.StudyWorrier
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Rona,Thank you. As I will be under 60 on September 1 then I assume that I will be eligible for the PTML for the first year of the PT degree course. Can I also take it that, as long as I do not suspend study, I will be eligible for the PTML until completion of the course.Thanks for your time.StudyWorrier
Hi StudyWorrier,

In order to undertake your full-time PGCE, you would need to withdraw from the part-time course as you cannot have two live applications.

When you return to the part-time course, you will be treated as a new student and the over 60 rules would apply, you would be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan and DSA if applicable.

Would it not be easier to complete the part-time course first, then undertake the PGCE. That way you would receive the PTML for the length of your part-time STEM course.

Regards Rona
StudyWorrier
Rep:
?
Hi StudyWorrier,

In order to undertake your full-time PGCE, you would need to withdraw from the part-time course as you cannot have two live applications.

When you return to the part-time course, you will be treated as a new student and the over 60 rules would apply, you would be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan and DSA if applicable.

Would it not be easier to complete the part-time course first, then undertake the PGCE. That way you would receive the PTML for the length of your part-time STEM course.

Regards Rona
Hello Rona,

Your last sentence answers the question I asked. In answer to your question, no. The PT course will take at least six years. Given my age I'm not sure whether I'd be accepted for a PGCE then. Also I want to do the PGCE first so I can support myself, and my family, from teaching.

I actually turn 60 in September 2019. If I understand the situation, it would be possible to do the FT PGCE in 2018/19 and then start the PT MSci in September 2019. Under this scenario I should be eligible for full funding for the PGCE, and then receive the PTML for the full duration of the PT integrated masters. Do you agree?

Thanks again for your help.

Ken
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Rona,

Your last sentence answers the question I asked. In answer to your question, no. The PT course will take at least six years. Given my age I'm not sure whether I'd be accepted for a PGCE then. Also I want to do the PGCE first so I can support myself, and my family, from teaching.

I actually turn 60 in September 2019. If I understand the situation, it would be possible to do the FT PGCE in 2018/19 and then start the PT MSci in September 2019. Under this scenario I should be eligible for full funding for the PGCE, and then receive the PTML for the full duration of the PT integrated masters. Do you agree?

Thanks again for your help.

Ken
Hi Ken,

If your part-time course starts in September 2019, then your academic year starts September 1, 2019.

That means that you would need to be under 60 years old on the first day of September to be eligible for the PTML.

Regards Rona
StudyWorrier
Rep:
?
Thank you Rona. I'll be 59 on 1/9/19 so will be eligible, unless the regulations are changed again. For my peace of mind can you confirm that I will be eligible to receive the PTML for the duration of the course?SW
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you Rona. I'll be 59 on 1/9/19 so will be eligible, unless the regulations are changed again. For my peace of mind can you confirm that I will be eligible to receive the PTML for the duration of the course?SW

Hi Ken,

If you undertake a one year PGCE in academic year 2018/19 and then go on to undertake a part-time Stem course in the next academic year, I can only advise as per current regulations.

Under the current rules as long as you are under the age of 60 and continue on the same course you will be eligible to receive the PTML for the length of the part-time STEM course, if you are under 60 years old on September 1,2019.

If you were to withdraw from the course as you initially planned and undertake a full-time PGCE, then return to finish the part-time course, then you would be classed as a new student and if over 60 years old at that point, would be not receive the PTML.

Regards Rona
StudyWorrier
Rep:
?
Hi Ken,

If you undertake a one year PGCE in academic year 2018/19 and then go on to undertake a part-time Stem course in the next academic year, I can only advise as per current regulations.

Under the current rules as long as you are under the age of 60 and continue on the same course you will be eligible to receive the PTML for the length of the part-time STEM course, if you are under 60 years old on September 1,2019.

If you were to withdraw from the course as you initially planned and undertake a full-time PGCE, then return to finish the part-time course, then you would be classed as a new student and if over 60 years old at that point, would be not receive the PTML.

Regards Rona
Thank you Rona. That clarifies the position. I'm very grateful for all of your advice. I'll try not to bother you again.

SW
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you Rona. That clarifies the position. I'm very grateful for all of your advice. I'll try not to bother you again.

SW
Hi Ken,

You are very welcome.

Regards Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed