im conflicted over my 3rd A-Level choice Watch

averagepupil16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im a year 11 student struggling to get my head around what A-levels i should choose for September.
At this current moment in time the only two A levels i know i will choose are English Lan-Lit and History but i do not know whether to choose Religious Studies or Psychology as my 3rd.
Im an A/A* GCSE student and my best case scenario for the end of year 11 is 5 a*,4 a’s and then a C/B in welsh and a B in an alternate qualification.
Generally i’m an all rounded student but better at essay based subjects hence wanting to History and Lan-Lit and because of this i figured it would be a good idea to take RE a level especially because of the philosophical aspect of learning however Psychology is something that really interests me and i think i’d be good at but that’s going off of my understanding of my GCSE Biology.
My problem is that my school never offered psychology at GCSE and bar a few Freudian videos on youtube,I honestly have no basic understanding of Psychology but it is something that really interests me as a student however,with RE A Level id probably have a greater foundation of understanding.
Im really struggling with coming up with a direction for my future which may not even be a problem at 15 yet I still find a way to panic and I was wondering what would be a better choice : English Lan-Lit/History/RE or those 2 with Psychology instead,despite never learning Psychology at A Level.
All i’m doing here is looking for advice , possibly from an A-Level RE and/or Psychology student to give me some advice on my options and what would be best etc , thanks
RhynieChert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
many people do psychology with no previous experience, and most people I know who have taken both have said that psychology is much easier than RE at a level.

choose what you feel you are most drawn to and interested in, this can be the most important factor when it comes to doing well at a level as if you are interested and engaged with the content studying a subject is much much easier
JamesLeo1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would definitely choose Language and Literature as separate subjects...
So you'd have...

English Literature
English Language
History

However, if you are still insistent on either RE/Psych...from an admission officer's point of view...I'd go for RE without a doubt...much more complimenting to your other subjects and it's good preparation for courses at university with a lot of thinking involved...
averagepupil16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by JamesLeo1)
I would definitely choose Language and Literature as separate subjects...
So you'd have...

English Literature
English Language
History

However, if you are still insistent on either RE/Psych...from an admission officer's point of view...I'd go for RE without a doubt...much more complimenting to your other subjects and it's good preparation for courses at university with a lot of thinking involved...
(Original post by aesthete1)
many people do psychology with no previous experience, and most people I know who have taken both have said that psychology is much easier than RE at a level.

choose what you feel you are most drawn to and interested in, this can be the most important factor when it comes to doing well at a level as if you are interested and engaged with the content studying a subject is much much easier
For my other panic , would you say that if i was to take Psych/History/Lan-Lit id be able to get into a decent uni like with those options and good results of course
RhynieChert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by averagepupil16)
For my other panic , would you say that if i was to take Psych/History/Lan-Lit id be able to get into a decent uni like with those options and good results of course
yes. most essay based subjects at uni (bar history and English which you're doing anyway) have no specific subject requirements, as long as you're predicted good grades you'll be fine.
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bear in mind that English Lang/Lit isn't a facilitating subject, and neither are psychology or RE. It may not matter to you, depending on what sort of uni you are aiming at, but it may be better to take English Literature (which is a facilitating subject) rather then the combined option

Check our the RE spec as I think A level is very different to GCSE.

You could try the Crash course Psychology videos if you want to find out more about psychology generally (they are not A level based) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4pMVb0R6M
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.82%
No (128)
35.75%

Watched Threads