The Student Room Group

Gap Year

So, I'm currently in year 12. Studying Economics, Maths, Politics and English Literature. Due to a number of reasons I have not been working at my full potential in year 12. End of years are approaching and my school will be basing our predicted grades off of those, but I know I will not be able to achieve what I am capable of. I've decided that I would like to take a gap year, for a number of reasons, but namely because I would like to further develop my work experience and build up my application for the 2020 university applications. I am aiming to study PPE at university, and for the end of year 13 (Discounting my no doubt terrible Year 12 grades) I would like to achieve A*In Economics, A* in English Literature, and A in Maths. I would like to go towards a career pertaining to finance, investment banking, or something of the sort. What would you recommend I do in my gap year to make my application stand out? I will be aiming to apply to the best universities/ Russell group universities granted my end of year 13 grades are good.
I would get as much work experience as possible. Experience is key. Apply for positions at banks and local companies etc as soon as possible. You want to show on your application that you're a well-rounded person so maybe do some volunteering too? You just need to make sure you stand out on your application.

Quick Reply

Latest