The Student Room Group

Postgraduate: Leeds vs. KCL vs. UCL

I recently got offers from Leeds and Kings (hoping for one from UCL) for the MA Media, Society and Culture. Because I am an international student I have no way of knowing which university suits me best other than by checking the rankings online... Any suggestions or advice?

Which uni stands out academically, in social life, employment, etc.
(I know London is expensive)
Original post by rmutt
I recently got offers from Leeds and Kings (hoping for one from UCL) for the MA Media, Society and Culture. Because I am an international student I have no way of knowing which university suits me best other than by checking the rankings online... Any suggestions or advice?

Which uni stands out academically, in social life, employment, etc.
(I know London is expensive)

How do the courses compare and where do grads end up? Rankings mean little.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
How do the courses compare and where do grads end up? Rankings mean little.

They all have very similar modules and electives. I would be happy with either of them.

The case for Leeds is: A smaller, less agitated city but with a rising economy and more affordable living. Focus on research but it does seem like most students are more focused on their social life. Bauman taught there for many years. COLD.

For Kings: Located in the heart of London it is easier to find a job that suits me and I has a wide variety of museums and galleries to visit. Its reputation internationally is perhaps the best of the three universities (good since I plan to move around). They also lead in research from all three unis. London is expensive. Employability rate is around 94%.

UCL: Location. Follows Kings in reputation and employability. As with Leeds, students seem to be more concerned with social life.

... as I wrote this I switched my preference from Leeds to KCL... so thank you! Still, any further advice would be greatly welcomed.
Original post by rmutt
They all have very similar modules and electives. I would be happy with either of them.

The case for Leeds is: A smaller, less agitated city but with a rising economy and more affordable living. Focus on research but it does seem like most students are more focused on their social life. Bauman taught there for many years. COLD.

For Kings: Located in the heart of London it is easier to find a job that suits me and I has a wide variety of museums and galleries to visit. Its reputation internationally is perhaps the best of the three universities (good since I plan to move around). They also lead in research from all three unis. London is expensive. Employability rate is around 94%.

UCL: Location. Follows Kings in reputation and employability. As with Leeds, students seem to be more concerned with social life.

... as I wrote this I switched my preference from Leeds to KCL... so thank you! Still, any further advice would be greatly welcomed.

I think you missed the bit where I said that reputation means little. Employability %s also mean little as people could be employed in the city or in Tesco. Work out what they do.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
I think you missed the bit where I said that reputation means little. Employability %s also mean little as people could be employed in the city or in Tesco. Work out what they do.

In my case it kinda does matter. I don't plan on staying in the UK, so having a "known" university on my cv does help.
I am as familiar as I can be with the programes each university offers. The courses and the structure do not worry me. What worries me the most are the things I can't find online. Like whats the main operational focus of each institution? My last university was more interested in making money than it was in any other area, to the point where the courses became highly technical and superficial hoping to attract more students...
Original post by rmutt
In my case it kinda does matter. I don't plan on staying in the UK, so having a "known" university on my cv does help.
I am as familiar as I can be with the programes each university offers. The courses and the structure do not worry me. What worries me the most are the things I can't find online. Like whats the main operational focus of each institution? My last university was more interested in making money than it was in any other area, to the point where the courses became highly technical and superficial hoping to attract more students...

In that case focus on which uni is best known where you plan to work. I think I've also told you above what to look for with employability. Operational focus is something you really shouldn't be worrying about at this level and will probably never get to the heart of. Unis do make money of postgrad students and that's a fact of HE in the UK.
Reply 6
UCL > KCL > Leeds :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending