MrToodles4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...s%201%20QP.pdf

Can someone help me with question 2biv? the markscheme just says 'correct explanation' - would like to know what this correct explanation is thank you

MS:http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...s%201%20MS.pdf
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the alpha particle travels 'much closer' to the nucleus such as to be affected by the strong nuclear force, it'll be attracted into the nucleus and fusion will occur, or at least the alpha particle will be captured by the nucleus, provided it has enough energy for this to occur. That's the only explanation I can muster for the strong force being involved. You'd need to overcome a lot of electrostatic repulsion for this, though.

Yall need at least a distance of 3-4 fm for it to get the strong force going for that, though.
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MrToodles4)

Can someone help me with question 2biv? the markscheme just says 'correct explanation' - would like to know what this correct explanation is thank you

Range of strong nuclear force is 3-4fm.

I would assume that if the alpha particle travels closer than the value calculated in iii, then strong force acts on the alpha particle.

I think they want u to say that the magnitude of the resultant force decreases, then u could say that the resultant force becomes attractive or stays repulsive i think u will get the marks either way.

This is likely because the strength of the strong nuclear force is probz not on ur spec so they wouldnt expect u to know exactly what is going to happen, but they would expect u to have an idea of what would happen and both of the ideas i mentioned above seem plausible to me.
MrToodles4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Callicious)
If the alpha particle travels 'much closer' to the nucleus such as to be affected by the strong nuclear force, it'll be attracted into the nucleus and fusion will occur, or at least the alpha particle will be captured by the nucleus, provided it has enough energy for this to occur. That's the only explanation I can muster for the strong force being involved. You'd need to overcome a lot of electrostatic repulsion for this, though.

Yall need at least a distance of 3-4 fm for it to get the strong force going for that, though.
Yeah that makes sense but what would you say about the resultant force then? As the question asks how the strong nuclear force affects the resultant force...
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah that makes sense but what would you say about the resultant force then? As the question asks how the strong nuclear force affects the resultant force...
Resultant will increase to attractive if it gets close enough, repulsive past 3-4 fm due to electrostatic, attractive 0.5-3/4 fm due to strong, and repulsive at >0.5fm due to strong and electrostatic repulsive.
MrToodles4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shaanv)
Range of strong nuclear force is 3-4fm.

I would assume that if the alpha particle travels closer than the value calculated in iii, then strong force acts on the alpha particle.

I think they want u to say that the magnitude of the resultant force decreases, then u could say that the resultant force becomes attractive or stays repulsive i think u will get the marks either way.

This is likely because the strength of the strong nuclear force is probz not on ur spec so they wouldnt expect u to know exactly what is going to happen, but they would expect u to have an idea of what would happen and both of the ideas i mentioned above seem plausible to me.
It makes sense up to resultant force becomes attractive or stats repulsive - how can it be both?
Shaanv
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It makes sense up to resultant force becomes attractive or stats repulsive - how can it be both?
Well u dont know whats stronger, is the electrostatic repulsion stronger than the strong nuclear or vice versa. If repulsion is stronger the resultant will still be repulsive and vice versa.

If it were two protons or two helium nuclei then i would probably say the resultant force is attractive to allow fusion but the magnitude of the product of the charges of aluminium and and alpha particle is higher than between two protons, so the electrostatic repulsion would be greater.

So we know that the strong nuclear force will act on alpha particle but u don’t know if it is great enough to cause a net attractive force, so i think u could say any and as long as u don’t contradict urself.
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

So there is obviously a repulsive electromagnetic force that is acting on the alpha particle as it approaches the nucleus as both the alpha particle and aluminium nucleus are positive charged. So excluding the strong nuclear force, there is going to only be one force acting on the left (ignoring any other trivial forces like weight which is negligible) which is that repulsive force and this would be the resultant force.

If we take the strong nuclear force into account, this is an attractive force between nucleons in the range of 0.5-3 fm. So in addition to the electrostatic repulsive force on the alpha particle on the left direction, there is also an attractive force on the right direction. So this means the overall resultant force acting leftwards will be smaller.
MrToodles4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymouspsych)
So there is obviously a repulsive electromagnetic force that is acting on the alpha particle as it approaches the nucleus as both the alpha particle and aluminium nucleus are positive charged. So excluding the strong nuclear force, there is going to only be one force acting on the left (ignoring any other trivial forces like weight which is negligible) which is that repulsive force and this would be the resultant force.

If we take the strong nuclear force into account, this is an attractive force between nucleons in the range of 0.5-3 fm. So in addition to the electrostatic repulsive force on the alpha particle on the left direction, there is also an attractive force on the right direction. So this means the overall resultant force acting leftwards will be smaller.
Yeah I understand - the person above just said we don't know which force is stronger though
MrToodles4
Rep:
?
Well u dont know whats stronger, is the electrostatic repulsion stronger than the strong nuclear or vice versa. If repulsion is stronger the resultant will still be repulsive and vice versa.

If it were two protons or two helium nuclei then i would probably say the resultant force is attractive to allow fusion but the magnitude of the product of the charges of aluminium and and alpha particle is higher than between two protons, so the electrostatic repulsion would be greater.

So we know that the strong nuclear force will act on alpha particle but u don’t know if it is great enough to cause a net attractive force, so i think u could say any and as long as u don’t contradict urself.
I guess that makes sense. Thank you.

Could you also help me with 4b? here: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...s%202%20QP.pdf

its quick Im just not sure what the markscheme is saying again.
Shaanv
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess that makes sense. Thank you.

Could you also help me with 4b? here: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...s%202%20QP.pdf

its quick Im just not sure what the markscheme is saying again.
Are u familiar with the pattern of field lines between two similarly charged charges?

It just wants one line from each point that u would expect to see in that pattern.

Could u attach mark-scheme so i can see what it says
MrToodles4
Rep:
?
Are u familiar with the pattern of field lines between two similarly charged charges?

It just wants one line from each point that u would expect to see in that pattern.

Could u attach mark-scheme so i can see what it says

Yes I am familiar.
MS: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...s%202%20MS.pdf
Shaanv
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can u post a pic of what uve done?

I would assume its the same as the field lines u get when u push two similar poles of magnets together.

But u only want one line from A and one from B
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.97%
Uncertainty around my education (373)
14.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (279)
11%
Lack of purpose or motivation (356)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (117)
4.61%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (153)
6.03%
Loneliness (217)
8.56%
Financial worries (94)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (133)
5.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (222)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (240)
9.46%

Watched Threads