Turn on thread page Beta

Do you ever get lonely at university? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you often feel lonely at uni?
    Yes
    57.25%
    No
    42.75%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    A recent study from the Office for National Statistics has claimed that one in 10 people aged 16-24 described themselves as 'always or often' lonely.

This was more than three times higher than people aged 65 and over - it was actually the highest proportion of any age group.

Cal Strode, of the Mental Health Foundation, said that loneliness among young people could be driven by social media and the "digital world". He claimed "teenagers can have thousands of friends online and yet feel unsupported and isolated. Technology, including social media, could be exacerbating social isolation."

What do you think of these findings?

Would you describe yourself as 'always or often' lonely?

In particular - did you / do you feel more lonely at uni?

Do you agree that social media makes this worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    A recent study from the Office for National Statistics has claimed that one in 10 people aged 16-24 described themselves as 'always or often' lonely.

This was more than three times higher than people aged 65 and over - it was actually the highest proportion of any age group.

Cal Strode, of the Mental Health Foundation, said that loneliness among young people could be driven by social media and the "digital world". He claimed "teenagers can have thousands of friends online and yet feel unsupported and isolated. Technology, including social media, could be exacerbating social isolation."

What do you think of these findings?

Would you describe yourself as 'always or often' lonely?

In particular - did you / do you feel more lonely at uni?

Do you agree that social media makes this worse?
    I am lonely because everyone hates me for being bisexual and if I told my parents they'd kill me so yeh I don't ever speak to anyone in person anymore, and I don't ever plan to...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by SeanLewis9868)
    I am lonely because everyone hates me for being bisexual and if I told my parents they'd kill me so yeh I don't ever speak to anyone in person anymore, and I don't ever plan to...
    Sorry to hear that why do you think they hate you for being bisexual?

Are you at uni or do you still live at home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    Sorry to hear that why do you think they hate you for being bisexual?

Are you at uni or do you still live at home?
    Still live at home, they hate me because they're worried I'll act on it on something, some are just idiots though

ReputationRep:
    Still live at home, they hate me because they're worried I'll act on it on something, some are just idiots though
    Why not join your uni's LGBTQ+ Society, i'd doubt that they'd have a problem with it considering the B stands for Bi-sexual. Might be a way to make friends.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Don't pay attention to them - it's totally up to you how you live your life, it's nothing to do with anyone else.

Do you have any trusted friends / relatives you can confide in instead?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    i was lonely at times when i was at uni cause i didn't enjoy getting completely drunk every weekend and there weren't many alternatives for people like me. I disagree that social media makes loneliness worse though. I don't have much in common with people that I see on a regular basis or my family- i like different things to them. however through twitter and facebook i found people who like the same things as me, met up with one of them last summer to go to a sci fi convention and we had so much in common, and as a result of that i have met even more people i have things in common with.

ReputationRep:
    Currently doing a-levels and as tgwktm has stated it's because I don't go with the norm of "getting drunk, having intercourse" etc.
    As a result this has lead to me not having any real group of friends at school (going for 4+ years).

I do a lot of gaming to pass the time and have often made better connections with people in the online community (obviously because we're sharing interest in the same game), but when it comes to the non-virtual world; nope.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    At time it was really difficult for me. I was often surrounded by people and had several groups of friends, but I hardly knew any of them on a personal level. Most of them were just drinking buddies, classmates or work colleagues. There were few people who I felt I could actually talk to on a personal level - e.g. more than football, music, exams, who got with who the previous night etc.

Don't get me wrong I loved my 4 years at university and made so many lifelong memories, but I often felt like I was just around the group rather than a part of them. That and the standard "do they want me around, am I annoying them?" thoughts that most people with low self esteem & social awkwardness have.

Social media definitely makes things worse. I don't think it's any coincidence that my mental health has improved significantly since Facebook and WhatsApp were deleted from my phone.

ReputationRep:
    I broke down once. Middle of the night. Had a dizzy spell prior to that. I think it was loneliness coupled with severe levels of stress.

ReputationRep:
    Suppose it depends on uni.

At the University of Greenwich, certainly at the Avery Hill Campus, everybody is super friendly and everybody knows everybody.

Don't think anybody on the campus is lonely!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    yes my entire existence is just loneliness

(Original post by Nil Admirari)
    Why not join your uni's LGBTQ+ Society, i'd doubt that they'd have a problem with it considering the B stands for Bi-sexual. Might be a way to make friends.
    I joined mine to try to make friends but all they seem to be interested in doing is drinking :/

ReputationRep:
    was up and down for me. but was about right - during the down time just hit the gym more, studied more, worked out how to do productive **** during summer holidays
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm not at uni anymore but will admit to feeling lonely, especially during my final year. My advice is to try volunteering, joining SOCs (which arent shallow, or drinking oriented as a lot of people do not remember what happens when they are drunk) and to try contacting a service such as samaritans who are a listening service and just talk to them if you are feeling sad or overwhelmed. Additionally a lot of unis have counselling services (which are usually free) so it could be worth speaking to them.

I will add that depending on what happens post- graduation, you might feel more isolated so it is good to ensure you maintain good communication with your close friends at uni, as well as home. Also relationships help providing they're based on mutual care and support and not shallow and superficial.

ReputationRep:
    Dude you have no idea, being an animation student I feel like I'm the only social person in class. No one else seems to care at all and for once I'm the one with the loudest voice, which is saying something since I used to be the shy kid in secondary.

I want to go out and make friends and drink and have a good time, most people want to sit in their rooms all night, I've tried it and it's just depressing. I need someone to talk to and hang around with but I've tried so much and no one will bother. I just hope I get better roommates next year and I could try hanging out with them.

ReputationRep:
    100% yes

It's mainly because I live at home so its difficult for me to join societies, go out and meet people.
    Another issue is that at my uni, or at least in my course, everyone tends to keep themselves to themselves. Like they wont really interact with others outside their friendship group unless they need to.

At one point it got so bad I even had an anxiety attack in uni.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I blame technology. People are not as close as they use to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grefox)
    Suppose it depends on uni.

At the University of Greenwich, certainly at the Avery Hill Campus, everybody is super friendly and everybody knows everybody.

Don't think anybody on the campus is lonely!
    You can't ever know that for sure, you have no idea what's truly running through people's minds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawn86)
    Dude you have no idea, being an animation student I feel like I'm the only social person in class. No one else seems to care at all and for once I'm the one with the loudest voice, which is saying something since I used to be the shy kid in secondary.

I want to go out and make friends and drink and have a good time, most people want to sit in their rooms all night, I've tried it and it's just depressing. I need someone to talk to and hang around with but I've tried so much and no one will bother. I just hope I get better roommates next year and I could try hanging out with them.
    Seems a common feature at Uni. People just simply don't want to know.

ReputationRep:
    Typically during sixth form, I was the smart boring one and though I was in a popular group at sixth form and I’ve known most of these “friends” since year 7, since we got our a level results, they’ve stopped speaking to me.
    So I come into uni looking for a fresh start and given the nature of my uni, everyone is even more serious than I am! ( understandable given they pay 18k yearly). In short, I’ve more lonely than ever, it’s not nice, you doubt yourself, you start becoming jealous slightly, you crave social contact , you reminisce more about the good old days, you fall into a shell , but life carries on.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.