The Student Room Group

What is the competitiveness of colleges?

I want to apply to Oxford for Oriental Studies (Chinese). I was wondering what the most competitive colleges are as I’m looking at either Pembroke/Univ. I got 9A*s 1A(drama) but I’m still a little apprehensive as I don’t have to do the OLAT so I don’t know if that 1 A will hinder my chances at all?

Also if someone just knew the general competitiveness of the college are that would be great, thanks!
Original post by nish2910
I want to apply to Oxford for Oriental Studies (Chinese). I was wondering what the most competitive colleges are as I’m looking at either Pembroke/Univ. I got 9A*s 1A(drama) but I’m still a little apprehensive as I don’t have to do the OLAT so I don’t know if that 1 A will hinder my chances at all?

Also if someone just knew the general competitiveness of the college are that would be great, thanks!

The single A grade will not hinder you at all.

Please be clear that you have the same chance of getting an offer no matter which college you apply to. If your college of choice has filled its places, but you meet the entrance standards (including interview scores etc), then you will be offered a place at another college. Conversely, if your chosen college still has places after all its interviews are completed, it will not offer those places to a "reserve list" of less qualified candidates. Instead, it will take an applicant from a college with a surplus of qualified candidates.

So although some colleges attract more applications than others, this only means that applying to a more popular choice might slightly reduce your chance of getting in a that specific college. It does not affect your chances of getting into Oxford overall.

Statistics on college choice are here
Original post by OxFossil
The single A grade will not hinder you at all.

Please be clear that you have the same chance of getting an offer no matter which college you apply to. If your college of choice has filled its places, but you meet the entrance standards (including interview scores etc), then you will be offered a place at another college. Conversely, if your chosen college still has places after all its interviews are completed, it will not offer those places to a "reserve list" of less qualified candidates. Instead, it will take an applicant from a college with a surplus of qualified candidates.

So although some colleges attract more applications than others, this only means that applying to a more popular choice might slightly reduce your chance of getting in a that specific college. It does not affect your chances of getting into Oxford overall.

Statistics on college choice are here

thank you for this. sorry if i sound ignorant, but what are interview scores - what will they test you on?
Original post by nish2910
thank you for this. sorry if i sound ignorant, but what are interview scores - what will they test you on?

As you know, every U/G candidate is interviewed. Obviously, the interviewers need to score/rate your performance in some way so as to compare candidates, but it's not done like a quantitative test paper. See here for details.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending