The Student Room Group

Biology 2nd year exams - essay based

I have tried searching for info on here but can't really find anything so hoping a post will be more useful. Not sure if this is the right section either, sorry!

I'm a mature student (24), who'd have guessed, studying Biology and in my 2nd year. For our end of year exams, there is 6 modules where all except 1 is a 2/5 (or 2/6) essay based exam. 1 is an MCQ, long & short answer exam. I need roughly 52% in 3 exams and 60% in the others to get a 2:1 overall~

I get really, really bad exam stress. My mind goes completely blank, even in an MCQ I struggle like mad. Assignments are always fine. Today I've gone through 3 lectures (of 15) from 1 module and although a decent amount makes SENSE... I don't particularly remember it... which is, obviously, kinda the important part...

What (tf) do I do? Has anyone else been in this situation and managed it?

I know some people just aren't cut out for Uni and I honestly think I'm one of those but I don't know what I'd do if I don't finish.
Original post by lolsnort
I have tried searching for info on here but can't really find anything so hoping a post will be more useful. Not sure if this is the right section either, sorry!

I'm a mature student (24), who'd have guessed, studying Biology and in my 2nd year. For our end of year exams, there is 6 modules where all except 1 is a 2/5 (or 2/6) essay based exam. 1 is an MCQ, long & short answer exam. I need roughly 52% in 3 exams and 60% in the others to get a 2:1 overall~

I get really, really bad exam stress. My mind goes completely blank, even in an MCQ I struggle like mad. Assignments are always fine. Today I've gone through 3 lectures (of 15) from 1 module and although a decent amount makes SENSE... I don't particularly remember it... which is, obviously, kinda the important part...

What (tf) do I do? Has anyone else been in this situation and managed it?

I know some people just aren't cut out for Uni and I honestly think I'm one of those but I don't know what I'd do if I don't finish.

I mean, I do Astrophys but similar situation; what really helps is a lot of practice and patience. I mean, odds are you won't get the material entirely ready at once, and won't be able to memorise it instantly or just know it instantly. You just need to give it time, practice some material, go over something else while it fades and sinks in a little, then go back to it and try it again.

It seems like what you need to do is less focus on pushing yourself through the same thing all at once, rather going through unique new material consistently and returning to the old stuff while you revise something new.

That works for me, idk, it might for you, Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending